The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Asher Ranch

Posted By: Tyler

Asher Ranch - 06/13/11 02:21 AM

I'm getting better at processing images closer to when I take them rather than waiting a few months :P These were taken on a trip to some family property along the John Day River near Spray, OR.

My first ever pano attempt, this is the NW side of the ranch.

I spotted this growing near where I was standing to take the pano shot.

We call this Papa Ed's Stand, where my Grandpa had a bucket he'd sit on some mornings during hunting season and wait for game while watching the sunrise. This is my favorite spot on the ranch.

On my short list of places to go for a few years, it is a very short drive from the ranch. Weather was not cooperative and I got a late start, but here is a tease. I will be going back here to the Painted Hills Unit, John Day Fossil Beds National Monument real soon.

I took the long way home, crossing the river and driving back to Portland on Washington's Hgwy 14, and of course, stopped to smell the flowers on the side of the road.

I should have a few more from this trip soon.

Re: Asher Ranch - 10/10/11 03:43 AM

I've been slowly working my way through this folder of about 100 RAW files of shots that aren't bad but I hadn't bothered processing yet. I've also been trying out a few different things in PS, so I realize that the series might not have the same temperature, or certain shots may be to vibrant, saturated, filtered or whatever. Here are a few more from the trip to the family playground.

Painted Hills, but really just the side part. The main hills are a mile or so down the road. It was raining by the time we got there so I don't have shots of the main park.

A flower found in a couple hillsides at the ranch.

Southeast corner of the ranch overlooking the John Day River.

A different shot of the mushroom

Re: Asher Ranch - 10/10/11 04:10 AM

This is a test to compare hosting site differences. I've got a feeling that photobucket is the reason why my images appear much more grey on the forums than on my saved file at home.

So...the only difference between these images is the site that is hosting them.

PB

GP

Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Asher Ranch - 10/10/11 05:50 PM

Hey Tyler,

There is a definite difference between the two images. It is odd to me that the images would look different hosted on a different website. This may seem silly, but are you 100% sure it is not a color space issue? I had some issues with color space robbing my images of color and saturation earlier. Also, the second image does not appear as wide as the first image...

James
Posted By: FretlessD

Re: Asher Ranch - 10/14/11 01:35 AM

Tyler,

Great pictures. I don't know enough as to the color differences, but I do really like the second photo of the mushroom. Great composition. Striking lighting.

Is the color tint difference between the two mushroom images due to post processing or the host/color space whatever? One my monitor, there is a distinct difference.

All in all, great photos. (Nice pano, too.)
Doug
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum