The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

The beautiful turkey vulture ...

Posted By: KennyP

The beautiful turkey vulture ... - 05/22/06 02:24 PM

I was shooting orioles and didn't notice this guy in the tree above me until he[she] released a "present". These birds have gone from migratory to resident in southwest Ohio. Canon EOS-20D + 400/5.6, hand-held.
Posted By: JeffDinPA

Re: The beautiful turkey vulture ... - 05/22/06 07:04 PM

Kenny,
Nice shot! They are huge aren’t they!? I have only been that close to Turkey vultures a few times and it always amazes me with their size and strength. I hope the "Present" was far away?:) What about the Orioles, any shots?

Orioles ... - 05/22/06 08:49 PM

Unfortunately, I didn't have the 'big gun' on my (600mm f/4+1.4x TC) so the shot isn't very close up. But pretty birds, nontheless ...
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Orioles ... - 05/23/06 04:37 AM

Hey Kenny,

This will sound sad, but I had not realized that Turkey Vultures were native to SW Ohio. A very cool find.

James
Posted By: PossumCorner

Re: The beautiful turkey vulture ... - 05/23/06 01:26 PM

I think all of the vultures are such great birds, it really bugs me when people are disparaging about them. Hope it gives you some more opportunities for shots of it.
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: The beautiful turkey vulture ... - 05/23/06 04:53 PM

Kenney,
When did the Turkey Vultures become migratory in Ohio? I lived in Ohio from 1951-1982 and they were a resident bird all the time I lived there.

Re: The beautiful turkey vulture ... - 05/23/06 10:02 PM

Gosh, migratory simply means that they aren't here all year ... and they weren't, twenty years ago (in SWO). Yeah, you might occasionally see one (heck, you could occasionally see a golden eagle - I did) but now you can see at least several of them 365 days a year. They still leave northern Ohio for the winter (think Hinckley!)
Same for the evil Canada goose ... they must not be tasty, the way they are multiplying. But in '84 they were a novelty certain times of the year; now they are pests 365 days! (I like 'em, myself ... but I also like starlings, crows, and grackles.)
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: The beautiful turkey vulture ... - 05/24/06 12:15 AM

I lived in Columbus and then Hocking Hills area and they were definately residents year around in those areas. I also saw an Osprey once just outside of Logan Ohio by one of the old canal feeder lakes.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum