The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Lunar Rainbow

Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Lunar Rainbow - 06/20/11 07:51 PM

Heavy snows have made for heavy snow melt well into late Spring in Yosemite. As a result all of the streams and rivers are full or flooding and the waterfalls are all operating at maximum flow. There are even waterfalls where normally there are none. A major benefit is seen here. During the full moon, the appearance of "moonbows" or lunar rainbows can be spectacular, with this being an example of one of the largest in memory putting on a brief show at Yosemite Falls as seen from Cook's Meadow. You can see some faint star trails in the sky above the falls.

An ISO of 100 and an exposure of 4 minutes at f/5.6 grabbed the moment. (oops, I meant ISO 200)

I'll try to post some other images from my trip for a private workshop with Michael Frye in the next day or two.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Lunar Rainbow - 06/20/11 09:32 PM

Durwood - this is great!! Great composition and - of course - cool rainbow!

James
Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: Lunar Rainbow - 06/21/11 09:10 PM

I meant to add that a test shot at ISO 1600 enabled me to do a quick (30 sec) test exposure and then extrapolated a shot at 200 (I inadvertently said the ISO was 100, but it was 200, although I had an ev of -1)
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Lunar Rainbow - 06/21/11 09:16 PM

Oooooooooooooh. I did not see the star trails that were in this originally. Really cool, Durwood.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum