The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

New Florals From The Yard

Posted By: Jim Garvie

New Florals From The Yard - 08/06/11 03:52 PM

As we enter August, I'm finding all kinds of new flowers in the yard, some of which I've been able to identify and others not so much. So, here are some pics of my favorites:

Canna Lily

Passion Flower, Lady Margaret

Morning Glory, I think

This is one I just can't seem to identify.

And here's another one I'm not quite able to ID. Help would be appreciated.

Hope you enjoy!

Jim
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: New Florals From The Yard - 08/06/11 06:26 PM

Lovely Jim!

The light blue flowering vine is Thunbergia laurifolia. The vivid red one I am not sure of, and the last blue one is so familiar, but I am drawing a blank.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: New Florals From The Yard - 08/07/11 03:46 PM

Hey Jim,

Nice shots. It has been uncharacteristically hot here and the flowers have had a hard time holding on during the last few weeks.

James

Re: New Florals From The Yard - 08/08/11 02:31 PM

James,
these flowers bloom in Florida in August so you know they like the heat smile. Our biggest problem lately is too little rain. Usually, we get late-afternoon thunder storms almost every day but lately it's only been a few times a week. And some of these flowers are in spots I can't reach with a hose. I'll have a few more to share in a day or so.

Jim

Re: New Florals From The Yard - 08/08/11 04:59 PM

Penny,
OK, I think I have the rest ID'd. The vivid red flower is Jatropha Inteqerrima and finding it has been very difficult. The last blue one is Ruella or Mexican Petunia. Both are very attractive to both Butterflies and Hummingbirds so I'll keep my camera handy.

One of my neighbors has an incredible vine of Passion Flowers that covers her entire fence on the street side. I just had to take a few photos of them because they are both incredible-looking and very pungent. Here are two shots I took this morning.

Enjoy!

Jim
Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: New Florals From The Yard - 08/12/11 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: jimgarvie
... because they are both incredible-looking and very pungent.

Jim

and the fruit is delicious! We used to call them Maypops.
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: New Florals From The Yard - 08/13/11 10:52 AM

Wow, this is an gorgeous flower! Nice images too smile

Re: New Florals From The Yard - 08/13/11 12:30 PM

PeggySue,
to see an entire fence covered with these flowers is really awesome. They are particularly attractive to Butterflies so I intend to use that to get some new Butterfly shots this month -- although I think Preston may have cornered the market on them smile.

Glad you like these.

Jim
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum