The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Whale Watching Adventure

Posted By: Diane

Whale Watching Adventure - 09/04/11 08:44 PM

We left Montauk at 6:30 p.m. on August 14th, headed to the Great South Channel, out in the Atlantic Ocean. The weather was crappy, so we went to the Stellwagen Bank, instead. We returned at 10:30 p.m. on August 16th. Between those hours, we saw over 100 distinctly different and identifiable humpback whales. The ocean was just teeming with 40-60 ton animals. It was awesome!! They breached, slapped, bubble fed, blew, and just swam. What amazing and alien creatures! I never quite realized how alien before this trip, even though they are mammals. The trip was with a research vessel associated with CRESLI. Following are a few images.

Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: Whale Watching Adventure - 09/04/11 10:06 PM

Those are, incredible. Excellent works. Great timing. Got any more?
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Whale Watching Adventure - 09/04/11 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Marty Everhard

I agree with Marty. Great captures. I'm jealous . . . Again!

Jim

Re: Whale Watching Adventure - 09/05/11 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Marty Everhard

I shot about about 2,500 frames in the two days we were on the water. The weather was dicey, and there were times when the boat was pitching in 7-10 feet swells. Honestly, I was wondering when the Coast Guard was going to be called to rescue us. And, because I was holding the camera, I was bracing against the railings with my body. Needless to say, I was ridiculously bruised by the time the trip was over. Lots of images were compromised by movement of the boat, and the skies were not bright, so shooting a faster shutter speeds was difficult, at best. We just fired away at full capacity, sometimes frustratingly filling the camera buffer and forcing a few seconds of down time during critical times. But, I was thrilled with what I got. I was thrilled to be out there. I happily deleted over a thousand frames. Stand by. I'll post a few more. smile

Re: Whale Watching Adventure - 09/05/11 01:22 AM

A few more:

Posted By: daveman

Re: Whale Watching Adventure - 09/05/11 03:26 AM

All I can say is wow.....
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Whale Watching Adventure - 09/05/11 03:30 AM

Hey Diane,

These are really awesome - shots to be very proud of. Very well done!

James

Re: Whale Watching Adventure - 09/05/11 03:04 PM

Thanks, everyone. For those who may be interested, these were all shot with a Nikon D300, a Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, and a Sigma 1.4X TC. Sometimes, the whales were too close for that lens setup. I brought my Sigma 50-500 OS, but it never came out of the case. I suppose focal length would have been better, but hand holding that sucker would have cost me way too many images. That lens is for tripod use, only. smile
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Whale Watching Adventure - 09/05/11 05:43 PM

Great images, Diane, of some incredible animals. Thanks for sharing. Now, I'm really jealous smile.

Jim
Posted By: Kerri

Re: Whale Watching Adventure - 09/08/11 01:50 AM

I love every one of these! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Welshfilly

Re: Whale Watching Adventure - 09/08/11 01:06 PM

Really enjoyed these, thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Polly
Posted By: Kelley216

Re: Whale Watching Adventure - 10/19/11 12:37 AM

I've been on 2 whale-watching trips so far, and can't wait to go again. Great work Diane!
Posted By: jadlh

Re: Whale Watching Adventure - 10/21/11 05:18 PM

Those are some really great shots.
I experienced some whales while visiting Hawaii a couple of years ago, we never were as close as you but my wife and I did scuba several days and were treated to hearing the whales singing on every dive.
Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

Re: Whale Watching Adventure - 10/23/11 09:25 PM

Great story-telling in your images! Lovely!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum