The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

The Great Smoky Mountains

Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

The Great Smoky Mountains - 11/04/11 06:07 PM

Hi all,
The first week of October we headed to Cades Cove and spent 2 days there, photographing the entire time! The first day was spent photographing along the Laurel Falls trail, and along the Little River Road. The second day was spent completely in Cades Cove photographing the mountains, wildlife, rivers and some of the buildings. We had so much fun, we did not want to leave! My only regret is that we did not actually stay in Cades Cove, and we drove around the Cove instead of biking or hiking. When you go on the tour in a vehicle, the park does not open til 8am, so I missed the sun coming up in some of the spots. Overall, though, I am happy with some of the images taken.
Hope you enjoy these!

Image #1-This was taken along the Little River Road.

Image #2-This was also taken along the Little River Road, but closer to Laurel Falls area.

Image #3-Wood Aster-taken on the Laurel Falls walking trail.

Image #4-Yellow Ragwort-This was also taken on the Laurel Falls walking trail.

Image #5-River's Edge-Also taken along the Little River Road.

Image #6-Momma and baby deer. This was taken in the first official stop in Cades Cove.

Image #7-Autumns Path-Taken in Cades Cove as well.

Image #8-Back Eddy-Taken behind Cable Mill. I was lucky enough to also capture the eddy.

Image #9-Cable Mill-
Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: The Great Smoky Mountains - 11/04/11 07:14 PM

Love those deer. What were you shooting them with? Er, bad choice of words with deer,,,what were you taking there pictures with? Nice captures all. The motion in
the water wheel is cool.
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: The Great Smoky Mountains - 11/04/11 07:31 PM

All very nice captures. I would give you one suggestion, do you own a Circular Polarizer? I would consider using it for the fall/water shots.

All in all I like these very much.

Roman

Re: The Great Smoky Mountains - 11/04/11 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: RomanJohnston
All very nice captures. I would give you one suggestion, do you own a Circular Polarizer? I would consider using it for the fall/water shots.

All in all I like these very much.

Roman

Thanks, Roman! I do not own a CP, though would all of the water shots have benefitted from that? Is it bad enough to pull the water shots from my portfolio? Would appreciate any info on that!
Thanks!

Re: The Great Smoky Mountains - 11/04/11 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Marty Everhard
Love those deer. What were you shooting them with? Er, bad choice of words with deer,,,what were you taking there pictures with? Nice captures all. The motion in
the water wheel is cool.

LOL! Well, for the Deer, I was using the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. Its going into the shop soon because its not as sharp as it used to be. The water wheel was taken with the 18-55mm f/4.5-5.6.

Re: The Great Smoky Mountains - 11/04/11 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

Thanks, Roman! I do not own a CP, though would all of the water shots have benefitted from that? Is it bad enough to pull the water shots from my portfolio? Would appreciate any info on that!
Thanks!

I was just thinking that having one would give you options out in the field. I wouldnt pull the shots, just know that getting one would improve your options available. TIP: anytime you buy filters, I strongly reccomend buying the 77MM one as that is usually the largest one you would need and buy step down rings for your lenses with the smaller ends on them. This keeps you buying only one filter to use on any lens. If you get the thin version you can also use it on superwides without darkening in the corners. (vignetting).

Really handy in calming down shiny surfaces and allowing the Dynamic Range to better match the capabilities of the camera.

It is one of the few filters I carry.

Roman

Re: The Great Smoky Mountains - 11/04/11 10:34 PM

Ahh, ok, that makes sense Roman. Now, do you have a preference as to which maker of filter you use? I can certainly see the added benefit, since I do quite a bit of water images.
Thanks!

Re: The Great Smoky Mountains - 11/04/11 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography
Ahh, ok, that makes sense Roman. Now, do you have a preference as to which maker of filter you use? I can certainly see the added benefit, since I do quite a bit of water images.
Thanks!

Take the money you save on buying multipul filters and get the best you can. I like Heliopan and B+W brands. They can be a bit spendy, but when you consider your putting another peice of glass on your lens the lens designer never intended, the extra cost will go a long way to not become the weakest link in your lenses quality.

Roman
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: The Great Smoky Mountains - 11/05/11 05:53 PM

Hi Marie,

Lovely photos. My favorite is of the road and folliage.

James
Posted By: Bob D.

Re: The Great Smoky Mountains - 11/05/11 09:43 PM

Cades Cove and the GSMNP are magical places without a doubt. Nice series of images. I was supposed to be there this week but family responsibilities got in the way of my vacation. Maybe in the spring.

Re: The Great Smoky Mountains - 11/19/11 12:21 AM

Thank you, James and Bob, really appreciate it!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum