The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

It's Been A Long, Slow Winter

Posted By: Bob D.

It's Been A Long, Slow Winter - 04/16/13 02:22 AM

I haven't been very active over the last several months. Part of it has been the wet, dreary weather here in the Carolinas... part of it my has been from being too busy with the part time job. Sometimes life just gets in the way.

Last week marked the first Wild Horse Photo Safari of the year. And it was a good one. We had plenty of action and lots of opportunities to photograph the wild horses of the Rachel Carson Estuarine Reserve and of the Cape Lookout National Seashore. Here are a few shots.

Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: It's Been A Long, Slow Winter - 04/16/13 10:18 PM

Hey Bob,

Very nice photos - all of them. We are just starting to get out of our doldrums ourselves. I drove out the Delaware Water Gap this weekend for the first time ever and plan on going back to shoot it come Fall. It is nice to have events planned ahead. :P

James
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: It's Been A Long, Slow Winter - 04/16/13 10:18 PM

...btw...the fellow in the 3rd photograph - I take it he got too close?

James
Posted By: Bob D.

Re: It's Been A Long, Slow Winter - 04/17/13 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: James Morrissey
...btw...the fellow in the 3rd photograph - I take it he got too close?

James

I'm not sure. It looks like he's trying to get out in front of the horse. The general rule is not to approach the animals closer than 50 feet, but sometimes the horses move closer to you. Depending on the situation you may or may not be able to back away easily. I've had them wander in from all directions making it difficult to back-off from one without moving too close to another. You do have to try to be a bit extra careful this year. There were a lot of incidents with tourist types trying to feed, pet, ride etc. the horses so the park service is being perhaps a bit overzealous in issuing tickets at the moment.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum