The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

HDR Nature Photography

Posted By: OlympusGuy

HDR Nature Photography - 05/02/13 03:15 AM

Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I posted. I had lost interest in photography for a while. But I have discovered HDR imaging, and I am re-energized! What are your thoughts about this process, especially for nature/landscape and interior photography?

Leonard
Posted By: arp

Re: HDR Nature Photography - 05/02/13 07:02 AM

Hi Leonard
For what its worth, my suggestion is to use it sparingly and with a light, light touch.
Look forward to seeing your results though.
Cheers
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: HDR Nature Photography - 05/02/13 03:57 PM

I tend to agree with this. I was initially almost knee-jerk against HDR photography when I first started looking at many of the images I was seeing on line. Having said that, I have become more accepting of HDR as I have attempted to work with the technology.

I guess that in and of itself, the technology is a positive thing. The question is how do you use it? I would love to see some of your images, Leonard. One of my favorite photos I took last year incorporated HDR in camera.

James
Posted By: OlympusGuy

Re: HDR Nature Photography - 05/03/13 02:05 AM

Thanks, guys. Although I've not even scratched the surface (more like touched it with a fingertip) I find myself agreeing, especially after I've seen some of the more extreme examples. (overdone tone mapping, fisheye lenses).

The whole concept is to widen the dynamic range, and I find myself saying to myself that that's what I intend to do with it: imitate what the eye sees — especially when it comes to nature shots and architectural interiors.

I installed a copy of Photomatix Pro, and acquired the McCollugh book on HDR. In that book, one of the photographers predicted that there will come a day when high-end (at least) digicams will include HDR software. I think he's right! smile

Leonard
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum