The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

More Practice = Crow & Turkey Vulture

Posted By: Wacky roger

More Practice = Crow & Turkey Vulture - 10/25/13 03:35 PM

I am still practicing to get mentally ready for wildlife from trains. I hope to go down to Bosque and shoot some Crows sometime in December or January.

Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: More Practice = Crow & Turkey Vulture - 10/26/13 06:58 PM

Hey Roger,

Very nicely done. May I ask a relatively nOOb question? I have had trouble with BIF, I THINK, generally because I have a 2x converter on the camera when I am shooting BIF and it slows down the focus tracking on the 5diii.

Thoughts?

James

Re: More Practice = Crow & Turkey Vulture - 10/26/13 07:36 PM

I don't use my converters when shooting BIF cuz it slows down the focus big time.

Originally Posted By: James Morrissey
Hey Roger,

Very nicely done. May I ask a relatively nOOb question? I have had trouble with BIF, I THINK, generally because I have a 2x converter on the camera when I am shooting BIF and it slows down the focus tracking on the 5diii.

Thoughts?

James
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: More Practice = Crow & Turkey Vulture - 10/27/13 02:54 PM

James,
Roger has the fast glass with enough reach so that he doesn't have to use telextenders. My longest lens is the 70-200 so I often use it with a 1.4X converter and I've had no problems with that combination catching BIF with my 7D. I wouldn't use a 2X converter because with my setup, I'd lose autofocus ability.

My technique is the same as getting ring candids of dogs that are showing or shooting dog performance events: I use the center focus point only, AI Servo and fast frame rate (8 fps with the 7D). I don't always get all the frames in focus but I'd estimate between 90 and 95% of them are. The key is to lock onto your subject with that first frame and track them so that the center point stays on them. I do not use a tripod. Everything is handheld.

Two samples:

For me, the hardest tracking is when the subjects are coming directly at you. I have far less difficulty (as does my camera) tracking action that is moving laterally across the frame. This is a shot of our new kid, Jimmy, on a retrieve with Moxie in hot pursuit smile.

And here's a shot that is more germane to the conversation, a White Ibis in flight.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Re: More Practice = Crow & Turkey Vulture - 10/27/13 11:51 PM

Thanks for the info Jim.
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: More Practice = Crow & Turkey Vulture - 10/28/13 01:01 PM

Roger,
I doubt you need any tips from me smile. How is it going figuring out how to shoot moving targets from a moving train?

Jim

Re: More Practice = Crow & Turkey Vulture - 10/28/13 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim Garvie
Roger,
I doubt you need any tips from me smile. How is it going figuring out how to shoot moving targets from a moving train?

Jim

The train has stopped for 2013 so I will find out when it starts in 2014.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum