The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Jicarilla Wild Horses

Posted By: Wacky roger

Jicarilla Wild Horses - 11/11/13 02:11 AM

A long day but IMHO worth the time. 5 different bands of Wild horses.

Location/Habitat

The Jicarilla WHT is located in New Mexico approximately 40 miles east of Bloomfield. The territory consists of 76,000 acres of National Forest land on the north end of the Jicarilla Ranger District. Wild horses on the Jicarilla WHT use this territory year round.

The topography is mountainous with elevations ranging from 6000 to 8000 feet. The climate is represented by hot, dry summers and cold winters. Temperatures range from below zero in the winter to 90°+ F in the summer.

Vegetation consists of pinyon-juniper and sagebrush communities at the lower elevations. At the mid and lower elevations, sagebrush, rabbitbrush, serviceberry, snowberry, and winterfat are common along with grasses and forbs. Ponderosa Pine and mixed conifer are present in the higher elevations.

One of the spots I stop and use my binoculars & spotting scope so I have a idea where to go. 100 to 150 horses spread out over 76,000 acres means finding them is a challenge.

Jicarilla Wild Horses

To additional Photos

Yes, I used both my HoochieMama & Crow call to get their attention
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Jicarilla Wild Horses - 11/11/13 06:52 PM

Wonderful shots, Roger. That's a place I've always wanted to go and my sister visited a few years ago. Tough territory to hike but to capture those horses in the wild, it's totally worth it. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Re: Jicarilla Wild Horses - 11/11/13 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim Garvie
Wonderful shots, Roger. That's a place I've always wanted to go and my sister visited a few years ago. Tough territory to hike but to capture those horses in the wild, it's totally worth it. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Don't forget to bring your hiking boots.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Jicarilla Wild Horses - 11/11/13 09:15 PM

Hey Roger,

These are great! I liked the entire series - beautiful light.

James

Re: Jicarilla Wild Horses - 11/12/13 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: James Morrissey
Hey Roger,

These are great! I liked the entire series - beautiful light.

James

I was a fun time for me.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum