The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Raptor Free Flight Exhibit

Posted By: Tucson Jim

Raptor Free Flight Exhibit - 08/21/14 12:24 AM

Last week Petra and I took a short camping trip to Dogtown Lake near Williams in Northern Arizona. While we were there, we visited "Bearizona -- a drive-thru wildlife park. During our visit, they had a raptor "free flight" show. The tree studded arena was quite small, so the flights were very short. I did manage to catch a couple of shots though.

OWLS

HARRIS HAWK:

Jim
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Raptor Free Flight Exhibit - 08/21/14 01:59 AM

Jim! You lucky dog!! That is great. When you say 'drive thru wildlife park,' what exactly does that mean? Yes, LOL, I realize that may come off as a stupid question. How big is it? what kind of space does the wildlife have?

James
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Raptor Free Flight Exhibit - 08/22/14 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: James Morrissey
Jim! You lucky dog!! That is great. When you say 'drive thru wildlife park,' what exactly does that mean? Yes, LOL, I realize that may come off as a stupid question. How big is it? what kind of space does the wildlife have?

James

James:

It is 150 acres adjacent to National Forest land, although the design & layout makes it seem much larger. Visitors remain in their vehicles while driving more than two miles through the Mountain Goat, American Burro, Brown Bison, Arctic Wolf, Tundra Wolf, Dall Sheep, White Bison, Big Horn Sheep, and Black Bear enclosures. In addition, there is a small, walk-in zoo like area housing smaller animals.

Here's a link to a map & species list.

http://www.bearizona.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=39

The enclosures are natural with trees & streams, etc. and the animals roam around loose. Each area seems quite roomy. Not quite like being in the wilderness, but not like being in the zoo either. Some of the animals are rescues and some are the product of natural breeding.

I'll be posting some additional pics.

Jim
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Raptor Free Flight Exhibit - 08/24/14 07:24 PM

Thanks, Jim. I look forwarding to seeing photos from the other exhibits!

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum