The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Warning: Young Black Snake

Posted By: Scott

Warning: Young Black Snake - 07/30/06 05:58 PM

My barking Dobermans let me know something was up. Here's a young, handsome black snake. We welcome them to catch voles that attack plant root systems. BTW, the dogs kept their distance.

Cheers and comments always welcome.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Warning: Young Black Snake - 07/31/06 04:18 AM

Hey Scott,

Very nice. I really like the detail on the 2nd shot a lot. Are black snakes poisonous?

James

Re: Warning: Young Black Snake - 07/31/06 12:12 PM

Thanks James. No black snakes are not poisonous.
The only poisonous snakes in our area are copperheads and cottonmouth moccasins, but they're rarely seen.

Regards.
Posted By: Chris_A

Re: Warning: Young Black Snake - 07/31/06 08:50 PM

Wow great - first thing I thought was, "Haven't seen one of those bad boys since I lived in NC..." The get very big, too - at least they did in Hillsborough...love the second one, best...and am suprised he stuck around for any photography at all. Good job!

Re: Warning: Young Black Snake - 08/01/06 08:03 PM

Many thanks Chris. The dogs had him spooked so he wasn't making any fast moves. I'm in Hillsborough about halfway between it and Chapel Hill. Near the Nutter's Maple View Dairy Farm.

Best regards,,
Posted By: JeffDinPA

Re: Warning: Young Black Snake - 08/01/06 09:21 PM

I like that second one you're almost down at his eye level. Did he strike or just setup like that?

Re: Warning: Young Black Snake - 08/01/06 11:34 PM

Hi Jeff, no he didn't strike but he held the bluffing pose for some time. Thanks for looking.

Regards,
Posted By: Loopman

Re: Warning: Young Black Snake - 08/03/06 02:13 PM

Great pic! I think the 2nd one is really nice. Where were you angled when you took the shot? You look far to the left, yet the snake looks like it is aggitated with something at a different angle.

Re: Warning: Young Black Snake - 08/03/06 08:41 PM

Ha, you're very perceptive. He was looking at one of my Dobermans...a much greater threat in his eyes!

Thanks for your comments.
Regards,
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum