The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Bucks Sparring

Posted By: Scott

Bucks Sparring - 08/26/06 05:25 PM

Young bucks testing their prowness at "fighting." Wow, that's an ugly tick on the buck's back!

Antlers in a playful lock. Notice how their eyes are closed for protection.

Time to back off before someone accidentally get gored. Check out the scar on the right buck's shoulder.

Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome.

Cheers,
Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: Bucks Sparring - 08/26/06 05:37 PM

Great action shots, you couldn't ask for better poses/ hard to get that close usually.
I hope you don't mind if I ask about the grain in the series?

Re: Bucks Sparring - 08/26/06 06:54 PM

Thanks for commenting. No problem asking about the noise. Two things, first I was shooting through double paned glass in my home office window and second it was shot at iso eqiv.800 since it was late in the day.

Cheers,
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Bucks Sparring - 08/27/06 06:30 PM

Hey Scott,

Thanks for posting these. I like them alot. The monitor I am looking through is not calibrated, so I cannot comment on Marty's thoughts, but generally I don't mind a little ISO noise in my work - particularly given the times that we are normally shooting. When I get home tonight, I will definitely take another look with a more critical eye.

The first shot of the three is my favorite. I think that the composition is excellent, and you can see both deer's faces very nicely. The greens are very punchy, did you add a bit of saturation to the shots (again, this is based on a non-calibrated monitor)?

"through double paned glass in my home office window"

To me, that is the coolest part of the whole thing.

-James

Re: Bucks Sparring - 08/28/06 06:45 PM

Many thanks for your comments James.

Regards,
Posted By: PossumCorner

Re: Bucks Sparring - 08/28/06 11:48 PM

Scott that is an amazing view from your home, they are beautiful shots. Must be difficult to concentrate on the paper work and keep an eye on what is happening 'outside'. The monster tick on his back is mean - I'd rather meet with your spider-model than a tick.

Deer can't visit our little adjoining forest, it's too far from the hills that the (introduced) deer are found in. It would be lovely though, more exotic than kangaroos. (Further fields looking greener, I know).

Re: Bucks Sparring - 08/28/06 11:58 PM

Quote:

Scott that is an amazing view from your home, they are beautiful shots. Must be difficult to concentrate on the paper work and keep an eye on what is happening 'outside'. The monster tick on his back is mean - I'd rather meet with your spider-model than a tick.

Deer can't visit our little adjoining forest, it's too far from the hills that the (introduced) deer are found in. It would be lovely though, more exotic than kangaroos. (Further fields looking greener, I know).

Many thanks for your kind words PC. I guess kangaroo can get pretty boring after a while. If the deer breed like they do around here, they'll be in your area before too long. LOL

Best regards,
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum