The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Wasp and Bee

Posted By: Scott

Wasp and Bee - 09/04/06 03:18 AM

Both taken with the Canon 30D and EF-S 17-85 f4-5.6 IS USM.

Great Black Wasp - Sphex pennsylvanica

Bumble Bee

Thanks for viewing and comments appreciated.

Cheers,
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Wasp and Bee - 09/05/06 04:53 AM

Hey Scott,

Thanks for sharing these. The detail in the flowers is magnificent. I think the rich color is beautiful. The following comment is not a criticism, but a question. Tell me something, both insects appear to be somehow darker than the surrounding flowers. Am I right on that? If so, how is that happening?

Cheers
James

Re: Wasp and Bee - 09/05/06 01:04 PM

Quote:

Hey Scott,

Thanks for sharing these. The detail in the flowers is magnificent. I think the rich color is beautiful. The following comment is not a criticism, but a question. Tell me something, both insects appear to be somehow darker than the surrounding flowers. Am I right on that? If so, how is that happening?

Cheers
James

Not quite sure what you mean but being black may have something to do with it.

Regards,
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Wasp and Bee - 09/05/06 01:28 PM

LOL. No, I don't think that it should have a difference in appeared brightness. I asked my better half, and she reports seeing the same thing. I thought that perhaps I was imaging it.

James
Posted By: JeffDinPA

Re: Wasp and Bee - 09/05/06 03:24 PM

Hey Scott,
Love the composition and subject. These are nice and sharp and like James said, the flowers is very nicely exposed. What are they Spiria? The bug seem to suffer from a little to much "Digital Fill flash" effect?? Did you boost the shadows in post processing? You takled a very difficult subject pretty well. A dark critter on a bright background, very difficult indeed.

Re: Wasp and Bee - 09/05/06 11:37 PM

Quote:

Hey Scott,
Love the composition and subject. These are nice and sharp and like James said, the flowers is very nicely exposed. What are they Spiria? The bug seem to suffer from a little to much "Digital Fill flash" effect?? Did you boost the shadows in post processing? You takled a very difficult subject pretty well. A dark critter on a bright background, very difficult indeed.

Not sure what the flowers are. Shots were taken at a plant nursery. I did do a bit of PP and if I recall correctly, I may have boosted the shadows slightly.
Thanks for your response Jeff.

Regards,
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum