Ontario Canada
C
camon crow Offline OP
Wanderer
camon crow  Offline OP
Wanderer
C

Ontario Canada
I learned a lesson yesterday, we, I am responsible for my actions and how they effect the subjects I am photographing. We have lived on a property that backs onto a river and in the three years we have been here I have seen one snapping turtle. I was delighted to see one, a big one near the shore, I hurried to get my camera and returned to start shooting. I soon saw it was not one but two turtles in the act of mating. I shot a sequence of shots Snapping Turtles
In my zeal they became aware of me and seperated, one headed up stream and one down thus I interfered and it really disturbed me. Lesson learned Please come visit

[url=http://www.pbase.com/camon/test[/url]
Re: Snapping Turtles [Re: camon crow] #9365
07/09/07 04:29 PM
07/09/07 04:29 PM
Helena, MT
D
Don Edwards Offline
Venturer
Don Edwards  Offline
Venturer
D

Helena, MT
I understand fully what you mean, I've got a picture of two bull snakes mating from our trip to Yellowstone a couple of years ago. There happened to be a ranger sitting near them to keep on lookers from disturbing them as they "went about their business". I wonder how many people would have thought they were fighting and try to seperate them.

Don

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
Re: Snapping Turtles [Re: Don Edwards] #9366
07/10/07 12:04 AM
07/10/07 12:04 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Camon,

I hear you. I think we all have stories where our involvement had the unintended effect on a critter. You see it particularly in the parks with the tourists getting way too close to the various different animals in the park. I still remember one lady walking up to a bull elk - in the middle of mating season - and stating, "Hey Harry, take a picture of me and the elk!"

James

Re: Snapping Turtles [Re: James Morrissey] #9367
07/10/07 06:48 AM
07/10/07 06:48 AM
Tennessee, USA
RichardR Offline
Journeyman
RichardR  Offline
Journeyman

Tennessee, USA
Quote:

I still remember one lady walking up to a bull elk - in the middle of mating season - and stating, "Hey Harry, take a picture of me and the elk!"

Did you get the picture, too?

The animals in many parks, especially Yellowstone and The Smokies, are more acclimated to humans and more easily approached. I've seen many examples, like the lady with her elk, that are not only dangerous but do disturb the critters' natural behaviours. I saw a teenager charged by a bear when he tried to get close for a face shot with his cardboard camera. Fortunately for him it was only a bluff charge. I had earlier warned him about getting too close but he ignored me. When I saw his wet pants, I didn't need to say; "I told you so". He was lucky.

An even bigger concern is the encroachment of urban and suburban sprawl into the animals' habitat. In our area next to the Smokies, housing developments and rental cabins are replacing the farms, fields, forests, and ridges, seriously impacting the animals' food sources and movement patterns. This affects not only the larger animals but the small critters as well. Not a day goes by that I don't see skunks, possums, or raccoons dead along the roadways, not to mention the occasional deer.

The fact is that there are now over 300 million people in the US, up from the 125 million way back when I was born. Those extra 175 million people have to be somewhere, unfortunately for the critters, it's their habitat.

I hope the two snappers will get back together again and resume their mating.

Dick:)

Every day is a good day.
Re: Snapping Turtles [Re: RichardR] #9368
07/10/07 11:28 PM
07/10/07 11:28 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

"Fortunately for him it was only a bluff charge. I had earlier warned him about getting too close but he ignored me. When I saw his wet pants, I didn't need to say; "I told you so". He was lucky"

Hey Richard, LOL, no. I did not. The last time Chanthee and I were out there in July, we started a collection, but I did not take that one. I still remember where we were, too. We were just North of the Midway Geyser Basin, and there was a large harem of elk with a big daddy of a bull. The bull attacked the tree right next to the couple who were getting too close - a bluff. It was pretty impressive to watch - even more so, the restraint of the bull.

James

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 849 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online858
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer