S
Sandz Offline OP
Wanderer
Sandz  Offline OP
Wanderer
S

McKinney, TX, USA
Hiya again.

I took some shots tonight of a girls softball game - a chance for me to learn how to use my Kodak Easyshare P850 a bit more.

I'd like to post them on the internet, but I want to put a copyright on the photos before putting them out there (see I'm reading).

Thanks in Advance,

Shiryl

Oh yeah does Shiryl T.'s Photography sound okay, or stupid?

Thanks again.

Re: How do you Copyright [Re: Sandz] #11234
11/02/07 09:14 AM
11/02/07 09:14 AM
MA
J
Joe Offline
Tracker
Joe  Offline
Tracker
J

MA
Shiryl -

You might want to check out some of the information at this link with regards to watermarking your images.

Most people will use a program like Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to watermark their images. There are specialized software applications for watermarking but it seems ( to me) that having an application just for that purpose is a bit wasteful when you can accomplish the same (with more flexibility I might add) with most pieces of post processing software.

The simplest version of watermarking would be to create a separate text layer to contain your copyright and lower the opacity of that layer so that the text is visible but not obtrusive. The basic text is something like:

© 2007 Joseph Russo

I hope this helps!

BTW - To get the © symbol on a Windows computer hold down the ALT key and type 0169 on the numeric keypad. Maybe a Macintosh user can contribute the sequence for doing this on a Mac.

P.S. - If you are using Photoshop there is a good video by Matt Kloskowski here about adding a watermark to your photo.

Last edited by Joe; 11/02/07 10:48 AM.

Joe
Re: How do you Copyright [Re: Sandz] #11235
11/03/07 07:45 PM
11/03/07 07:45 PM
Nashville Tennessee
Durwood Edwards Offline
Old hand
Durwood Edwards  Offline
Old hand

Nashville Tennessee
An legal copyright is granted to the creator of a work as soon as the work is created. This enables the owner of the material (book, song, photo, etc) to stop someone else from using their work without permission, but until the copyright is officially registered with the Copyright Office, you will not be able sue for past damages.

If all you want to do is put the copyright (or other watermark) symbol on your photo, you have the answer in the first response.

Durwood Edwards
www.joelton.org

"Never miss a good chance to shut-up!" - Will Rogers
Re: How do you Copyright [Re: Joe] #11236
11/04/07 11:32 AM
11/04/07 11:32 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
On a Mac, it's Alt/Option "g".

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: How do you Copyright [Re: Jim Garvie] #11237
11/05/07 08:40 PM
11/05/07 08:40 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
" but until the copyright is officially registered with the Copyright Office, you will not be able sue for past damages."

The question I have - assuming that one registers something with the copyright office after something has been stolen - can one sue for damages retroactively? i.e. you have a watermarked image that is stolen...you find out about the theft, and then register it with the copyright office. Can you retroactively seek compensation for damages?

James

Re: How do you Copyright [Re: James Morrissey] #11238
11/06/07 02:23 PM
11/06/07 02:23 PM
Near Cincinnati, OH
K
KennyP Offline
Tracker
KennyP  Offline
Tracker
K

Near Cincinnati, OH
"assuming that one registers something with the copyright office after something has been stolen"
Time is of the essence in these cases, and the time of creation versus the time of theft versus the time of registering the copyright do matter.
I'm not where I have a nice printed copy of the exact wording (not at the studio today!), but if you create it, post it, it's stolen, and you register it after-the-fact, the sequence must have occurred within a certain number of days. Essentially, you have a grace period after creation to register, even if it occurs after someone uses your creation without permission.

I believe in f/8!
Re: How do you Copyright [Re: KennyP] #11239
07/16/08 08:03 AM
07/16/08 08:03 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
I realize I'm way late to an old thread, but this might be helpful to someone who comes along and reads it.

The difference between registered and non-registered is in the type and amount of damages you can receive. For infringement of non-registered material, you can only collect for actual value, while for registered material you can collect punitive damages and court court costs etc.

The time limit folks are referencing has nothing to do with the date of creation of the work, but rather the date of PUBLICATION.

Carolyn Wright is a photographer and attorney who deals with copyright issues frequently on her blog as well as on another photography forum out there on the WWW.

Her blog is here: http://www.photoattorney.com/

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 253 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer