12/18/05 09:45 PM
12/18/05 09:45 PM
Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
PossumCorner Offline OP
Old hand
PossumCorner  Offline OP
Old hand

Hi everyone, we're new to the forum. We are in the early stages of pet photography, mostly dog sports at this stage and intending to look for more pet portrait type of work. The encouragement on this forum is great, people are very generous with their advice.

This shot is a cross-over in a flyball race between two red Border Collies of the Croydon Rockets team. (Beagle in the background running for Ballarat).

This is one of our dogs, Piper (a Rottweiler-cross rescue dog) on a lure-coursing run. The dogs chase a plastic bag on the lure-circuit cable.

and another of our rescue dogs, Frodo, competing in Flyball. Fro would be a poodle cross, as a stray his background is a mystery.

Re: Flyball Dogs [Re: PossumCorner] #1330
12/19/05 12:34 AM
12/19/05 12:34 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Frodo is absolutely adorable!!!

I have a whippet who I am eventually going to try and lure course some. We don't have any active clubs in the area though. I think a friend and I are going to buy a lure machine together and we will race our whippets(there is a group of us whippet owners)

Flyball sounds like a blast too!

Re: Flyball Dogs [Re: Julie] #1331
12/19/05 01:53 AM
12/19/05 01:53 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Great shots! I had checked out your website earlier and was very impressed by some of your work. Were you pre-focusing on an area or are these done with focus tracking? By some chance, do you have your shutter/aperture settings?

-JM

Re: Flyball Dogs [Re: Julie] #1332
12/20/05 08:04 AM
12/20/05 08:04 AM
PossumCorner Offline OP
Old hand
PossumCorner  Offline OP
Old hand

Quote:

Frodo is absolutely adorable!!! I have a whippet who I am eventually going to try and lure course some. We don't have any active clubs in the area though. I think a friend and I are going to buy a lure machine together and we will race our whippets(there is a group of us whippet owners)
Flyball sounds like a blast too!

Julie thank you. Your Cinnamon is a beautiful colour, yours is one of those "lucky" shots, and yes on a real shoot they are more likely to turn into a loose package of jello than to pose. I'd like to know more about how lure coursing "works" in the States. Here we have the straight lure racing out of starting barriers for the Jack Russels and Whippets only. It is timed so they have local, State and National Champions for those who wish to compete. The Lure Coursing I do is on the zig-zag "round" course set on roughly a quarter-acre. The dog clubs run it as a fun-day and it's non-competitive. One of the clubs (Rhodesian Ridgeback owners) are hopeing to make it competetive based on USA rules. I can't see how it would be judged as some dogs get clever and cut corners. Would that be a bonus or a penalty? Do you know any more about how competition is judged?

Flyball is great but very time consuming to compete in between training and competitions. The dogs love it, they become totally obsessive. And back to the point, both sports have some great sports-dogs photography opportunities.

Re: Flyball Dogs [Re: James Morrissey] #1333
12/20/05 09:15 AM
12/20/05 09:15 AM
PossumCorner Offline OP
Old hand
PossumCorner  Offline OP
Old hand

Quote:

Were you pre-focusing on an area or are these done with focus tracking? By some chance, do you have your shutter/aperture settings?

James thanks - we're not that consistent in approach, depends on the event and the light. Flyball shots are usually pre-focussed at the jump, mostly use a tripod - Paul often uses the auto Sports setting on the Nikon D50, the crossover shot was ISO 200 1000th at 4.2. But with lurecoursing you need to track as their moves aren't predictable, still mostly with the tripod/swivel-head. The shots of the rotti are ISO 400, 800th @ 5.6. Those 3 are Paul's shots - I use the Nikon D70 and prefer shutter speed 1000 but lose some under-exposed that way. Circular problem: with enough DoF to keep the dog's full length in focus, it sacrifices shutter speed so there is motion blur. Tracking is a problem with flyball except for head-on as the speed is just too fast to track and catch the action over a jump. With the box and crossover, pre-focus on the box or start gates gives the best result.

Here is a turn at the box: D70, iso200, 800 @ 4.5 hand-held and serve my right no excuse. The dog is a labrador-poodle cross.

Re: Flyball Dogs [Re: PossumCorner] #1334
12/20/05 09:36 AM
12/20/05 09:36 AM
Canada
D
Duane Offline
Journeyman
Duane  Offline
Journeyman
D

Canada
Now THIS, I like! Great work!

My blog book is at my Online Marketing blog.
Re: Flyball Dogs [Re: Duane] #1335
12/20/05 12:57 PM
12/20/05 12:57 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Here is a loooong set of faqs on US sighthound coursing. I have never been to one, nor have I raced a dog in one. It just looks like something I want to get into. Lots of fun!

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/dogs-faq/activities/lurecoursing/

Re: Flyball Dogs [Re: Julie] #1336
12/20/05 07:09 PM
12/20/05 07:09 PM
PossumCorner Offline OP
Old hand
PossumCorner  Offline OP
Old hand

Quote:

Here is a loooong set of faqs ... Lots of fun!

So good Julie, many thanks, ahead of anything I had hoped for. The good and the bad: no wonder our dogs are anticipating corners: 5 acres is more realistic than our half-acre or less circuits. The dogs: only a handful of true sight hounds take part here aside from the Ridgebacks. (I used to breed Basenjis, too late, should have kept them on). Dogs running here include every breed from little white fluffies through to Pitbulls, cattle dogs, shepherds of all kinds, dobermans and rotties. If we go the formal competition route, most of us will then be ineligible. Looks like we'll just be a recreational sport for a long time to come. Our dogs all get extremely obsessive and intense, but that must be up a few notches in the US with the reluctance to accept children at a meet - ours abound with little kids and little dogs without any real drama.

Thanks again for the link, I will share it on our pet forums, it is great to have some background to put what we are doing into a bit more context.

Separately, your website is lovely, the horse photos beautiful, are they all yours (?the foal) - and the large black Agility dog: is that a Black Russian (or not). We have just a few here in the showring, they have not made it into dogsports yet, not many around. Great shot.

Re: Flyball Dogs [Re: Duane] #1337
12/20/05 07:12 PM
12/20/05 07:12 PM
PossumCorner Offline OP
Old hand
PossumCorner  Offline OP
Old hand

Duane thanks for the comment, I don't know about great work but it is sure great fun. Hope I can get into the portrait side as well before long.

Re: Flyball Dogs [Re: PossumCorner] #1338
12/20/05 08:06 PM
12/20/05 08:06 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I was a bit taken aback myself with the no kids stuff. If that is the case, no way can I participate as I haven't anyone who would keep them all day. I would say that as long as children behave(aka the parents don't let them run wild) it would be ok. Mine have been raised around horses and dogs and know better than to misbehave around them. They are normal kids, but, they don't run wild in public

I may go and photo some trials before training my whippet to the lure. Looks like a blast to shoot!

The black dog is a giant schnauzer. Cool dog. She is out of german parents and her whole 5 generation pedigree has shutzhund III's. I am amazed she is as sweet as she is!

The large chestnut mare is mine and the chestnut foal is my mare's. I sold the foal upon birth though. Great home, and very loved. The grey pony is a welsh pony and belongs to someone at the barn.

Thank you for the compliments on my photos. I am just now trying to develop decent technique and some style. I need to pare down the shots as I have too many on there. Just haven't gotten around to it yet!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 463 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer