01/24/08 11:45 AM
01/24/08 11:45 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
I was talking with a fellow photographer last evening and we were discussing how he had his camera set up. He was also complaining that the camera wasn't producing images with the contrast or color saturation that he wanted. When I asked if he shot RAW or jpeg, he said "jpeg". Why then, I asked, don't you adjust the shot parameters to increase contrast and color saturation? Because, he said, "that would be cheating."

After much further discussion, we agreed that setting up the camera to produce images that reflect the way you see your subject is not "cheating". It's part of the art of photography.

In the olden days of film (yeah, I actually remember most of it), we used to select the type of film we used not just based on the conditions but also on the type of image we wanted to create. There was a particular look to Kodachrome 25 (ask Paul Simon) and a different but equally unique look to Ektachrome 160. Yes there were differences in grain but there were differences in contrast, edge sharpness and saturation of particular colors in the palette that were important to the subject matter we were photographing.

These days, we tend to think that what comes out of the sensor is what we're forced to live with. While that may be important for photojournalists, it is not an issue for the photographer as artist. I find it ironic that folks that will not hesitate to use HDR in post-processing, won't dial up the color/sharpness/contrast of their cameras to achieve similar effects. Strange.

Today's cameras provide us with the ability to tailor our images to the subject matter we're shooting. My 30D gives me several "picture styles" -- each of which can be individually adjusted -- for different shooting experiences. So, I've dialed up a Kodachrome look; an Ektachrome look; a Velvia look; etc. I'm wondering how many of you do something similar to recreate that film look in today's images.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Do You Remember Film? [Re: Jim Garvie] #12769
01/24/08 01:11 PM
01/24/08 01:11 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
I'm sooooooooooooooo glad those film days are over, i'll NEVER go back. . . .

Re: Do You Remember Film? [Re: Jim Garvie] #12770
01/24/08 01:12 PM
01/24/08 01:12 PM
Southern Illinois
T
thedra Offline
Tracker
thedra  Offline
Tracker
T

Southern Illinois
Not only that but I would play in the Darkroom (yeah I'm that old) to get the right "look" just the way I use photoshop now. I really believe that much of the things I do in photoshop are easier because I understand the light theory that the darkroom taught me!

Tom

Yes I do Remember Film? [Re: Jim Garvie] #12771
01/24/08 02:10 PM
01/24/08 02:10 PM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline
Veteran
glamson  Offline
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Quote:

I was talking with a fellow photographer last evening and we were discussing how he had his camera set up. He was also complaining that the camera wasn't producing images with the contrast or color saturation that he wanted. When I asked if he shot RAW or jpeg, he said "jpeg". Why then, I asked, don't you adjust the shot parameters to increase contrast and color saturation? Because, he said, "that would be cheating."

After much further discussion, we agreed that setting up the camera to produce images that reflect the way you see your subject is not "cheating". It's part of the art of photography.

In the olden days of film (yeah, I actually remember most of it), we used to select the type of film we used not just based on the conditions but also on the type of image we wanted to create. There was a particular look to Kodachrome 25 (ask Paul Simon) and a different but equally unique look to Ektachrome 160. Yes there were differences in grain but there were differences in contrast, edge sharpness and saturation of particular colors in the palette that were important to the subject matter we were photographing.

These days, we tend to think that what comes out of the sensor is what we're forced to live with. While that may be important for photojournalists, it is not an issue for the photographer as artist. I find it ironic that folks that will not hesitate to use HDR in post-processing, won't dial up the color/sharpness/contrast of their cameras to achieve similar effects. Strange.

Today's cameras provide us with the ability to tailor our images to the subject matter we're shooting. My 30D gives me several "picture styles" -- each of which can be individually adjusted -- for different shooting experiences. So, I've dialed up a Kodachrome look; an Ektachrome look; a Velvia look; etc. I'm wondering how many of you do something similar to recreate that film look in today's images.

Jim

Jim,

Of course this type of question brings out an old duffer like me. I agree with Thedra that having used film and the darkroom, I do feel that it adds an insight to PP. I also agree with Tony that I would never never never NEVER go back. When I think about all the hassle that film was, I wonder now how I stayed in photography.

I agree with you whole heartedly that the image the camera captures is just the starting point and it is the photograpers option/responsibility to use it to create an image according to his/her vision. I think all great photographers have ascribed to this philosophy and it is their individual interpretations that has made them great. It is also the reason I only shoot RAW. Ansel Adams' book the "Negative" is dedicated to the premise that the camera captures the image using the technology of that camera, and then it is up to the photographer to transform that negative into an image based on there vision and abilities. Although it is "positive", I feel the RAW file is the same as the black and white negative. One of the revelations to me early in my photography came from reading the Negative and realizing that there was no single perfect image from a negative, but many different images that could be produced according to the vision of the photographer. I remember in some of my early darkroom classes, an exercise for the class was to take the same negative and print it according to your own vision. It was amazing to see the differences in the prints that the class came up with. I know for me personally, there are many times I go back to the original RAW file and play with it when I learn new techniques and/or new technologies arise. My chief regret these days it that when I first got into digital, I shot everything in jpg and for those images I have much less latitude to manipulate those images now.

I was a big Kodachrome fan in my film days, but I have to say that with digital I don't really go for a film look. Now I just go for the look that I like. As an aside, when I coverted many of my old kodachrome slides to digital with a film scanner, I was really disappointed because of the native high contrast of that film which gave very little shadow detail. My Ektachrome and Kodacolor negatives gave much better conversions. Interesting how things change. I would never go for a Kodachrome look in digital.

I guess I've gone enough here. Thanks for asking the question and getting me thinking about this.

Geo

Re: Yes I do Remember Film? [Re: glamson] #12772
01/24/08 06:38 PM
01/24/08 06:38 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
George,
but, boy, did Kodachrome add pizzazz to landscapes! I'm not talking about the negative aspects of particular types of film but the "look" they gave you. Kodachrome always gave us that punchy, contrasty, in-your-face color. And the negative films had their own look, too whether Kodak or Fuji.

My point is the same as yours: once you capture the image, how you reproduce it in media (prints, websites, etc.) depends totally on your vision of that image and not just what the camera's sensor picked up. Having spent my own time in the darkroom breathing hypo-clearing agent I can tell you that magic happened back there in the dark . We were able to tone down those highlights and pull up those shadows, to dodge and burn and make the images look the way they should look.

Today, PS lets us do much of that. And, yes, I usually shoot RAW as well because I like the ability to control the post-processing in a way not possible with jpegs. But when I do shoot jpeg, I use a profile that gets me as close as possible to the look I want. And I guess I can't help but make the analogy to film in that look.

Tony, I'm glad those film days are gone, too. But I do like to sometimes recreate that look of TriX pushed to as high an ISO as possible. Ah, the grain . . . .

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Yes I do Remember Film? [Re: Jim Garvie] #12773
01/24/08 09:58 PM
01/24/08 09:58 PM
Williamsburg, Va
Joe Piotrowski Offline
Journeyman
Joe Piotrowski  Offline
Journeyman

Williamsburg, Va
I still have my 4x5 Toyo View camera and Pentax spot meter from the days I was doing serious Zone system photography and using the Student Darkroom at the University of Wisconsin in the 70s. In those days you could pay 10.00 per month for unlimited use of their enlargers and chemicals. I still have a Schneider enlarging lens that I could barely afford at the time to use with the Bessler enlargers they had there.
I remember the planning that used to go into exposure to get the proper Zone range in the negative. That is before they removed so much silver from the negatives that it was hard to really do the proper development shift to get the
Zones right.
Agree with all that this basic understanding is still valuable. Because I didn't have access to Darkroom equipment as I was raising a family I left photography til the digital age has made it doable again and fun.
"It was the best of times, It was the worst of times".

Joe Piotrowski www.avipics.net
Re: Yes I do Remember Film? [Re: Joe Piotrowski] #12774
01/25/08 09:58 AM
01/25/08 09:58 AM
Nashville Tennessee
Durwood Edwards Offline
Old hand
Durwood Edwards  Offline
Old hand

Nashville Tennessee
I just wish my CF cards smelled and tasted like sodium thiosulfate!

Durwood Edwards
www.joelton.org

"Never miss a good chance to shut-up!" - Will Rogers
Re: Yes I do Remember Film? [Re: Durwood Edwards] #12775
01/25/08 04:25 PM
01/25/08 04:25 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand
Tucson Jim  Offline
Old hand

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Quote:

I just wish my CF cards smelled and tasted like sodium thiosulfate!

My wife certainly doesn't miss the smell of chemicals wafting from my makeshift darkroom in the bathroom of our government quarters in Germany, or having to bother the neighbors across the hall to use the facilities whenever I was processing film. For that matter, I don't miss balancing the enlarger on the toilet seat either.

But, there would be a lot more traffic on the "fanboy" forums. I can see it now . . . "My Fujifilm can whip your Kodacolor's butt in a lowlight showdown." ... "Oh yeah, well my Agfafilm can take you both!"...

Re: Yes I do Remember Film? [Re: Tucson Jim] #12776
01/25/08 08:06 PM
01/25/08 08:06 PM
st. petersburg, florida, usa a...
V
Visceral Image Offline
Old hand
Visceral Image  Offline
Old hand
V

st. petersburg, florida, usa a...
I have even been toying with the idea of getting a Mamiya RB67 again for studio work. No way I will go back in the darkroom but film did hold some good points, particularly medium format

Re: Yes I do Remember Film? [Re: Visceral Image] #12777
01/26/08 06:32 PM
01/26/08 06:32 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
I essentially grew up in a darkroom with my father as a youth. My father is a chemist, and to him, digital is anathama to everything that photography is all about. Much like his passion for Leica cameras, I think that he finds great amounts of joy in the chemical process. Dodging and burning until he is able to create great images without a computer or other such aid.

While I am all about digital, I will say that there is something to be said for the whole process. I don't shoot film for a variety of practical reasons, however, part of me says that film has become less and less popular for all of the wrong reasons. Even the best digital SLRs are only starting to match print film in terms of ultimate resolution. It is sad to me that what has really killed film is marketing and not over-all ability.

James

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 495 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer