04/13/08 08:38 PM
04/13/08 08:38 PM
Illinois
julief Offline OP
Journeyman
julief  Offline OP
Journeyman

Illinois
I did some studio shooting today with new toys. I didn't much like the results from the Promax diffuser system. But, I did like the results from the Azlo hotshoe softbox. First of all, it is extremely easy to use. It came with no instructions, but you just pop it open, slip the ring in the back and attach it to the stand with the adapter that comes with it. Probably took me 3 minutes to get it in place. It is 15" and you could actually attach it to a flash bracket, as well. Cost - $59, the best $59 I ever spent on camera equipment. I also used my new Skyport system, which triggered the flash seamlessly every time. Here is the result.

Canon (Ebon's Hit Me With Your Best Shot) - 4 1/2 months. Don't have to tell you how hard it is to get a puppy to pose for you when you are by yourself, but I got quite a few keepers. I did blow the whites on his ear tapes, but to me that's no biggie -- they are just white with very little texture to them. Shot with a Canon 40D, 50mm 1.8 at f8, 1/200 sec, ISO 125.

This is another shot from my studio shoot today. This is Isabelle (Ebon's Dirty Pretty Thing). Izzy will be 5 in May and is an aunt to Canon. Shot settings the same except that I was a little further away than the Canon shot and she was on a different part of the couch. The Alzo softbox was camera right about 4' back and a 430EX shot into an umbrella was camera left about 5' back. Converted to B&W in Lightroom and touched up in CS2.

Re: Studio Shoot [Re: julief] #14603
04/13/08 09:46 PM
04/13/08 09:46 PM
st. petersburg, florida, usa a...
V
Visceral Image Offline
Old hand
Visceral Image  Offline
Old hand
V

I love Danes, so much personality

I like the lighting on the face and the dispersal of light on the body, really focuses my eyes on the face. You did a good job

I had to look up what a Alzo softbox is-looks to be an interesting gadget

Re: Studio Shoot [Re: Visceral Image] #14604
04/14/08 12:25 AM
04/14/08 12:25 AM
Illinois
julief Offline OP
Journeyman
julief  Offline OP
Journeyman

Illinois
I'm really loving the Alzo softbox. Because it is using my Canon 580EX II triggered by the Skyports, I can pick it up and move it anywhere in seconds. I was sitting on the floor and literally picked it up in one hand and moved it left, right, behind me, wherever I wanted the light to fall from. In some shots, I was also triggering a 430EX into an umbrella.

Julie Ford
Re: Studio Shoot - photo added [Re: julief] #14605
04/14/08 07:27 AM
04/14/08 07:27 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Julie,
Black on black is the hardest but these are very nice. The Canon shot in particular is well-lighted. I have a small quibble with not being able to see Isabelle's right eye.

If you get the chance, can we see how you set up the lighting and the softbox?

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Studio Shoot - photo added [Re: Jim Garvie] #14606
04/14/08 12:23 PM
04/14/08 12:23 PM
Illinois
julief Offline OP
Journeyman
julief  Offline OP
Journeyman

Illinois
Jim - Isabelle's right eye bothered me, as well. Tried to do a bit in CS2 with it, but nothing looked natural to me, so took it back to the original. Both shots were done with the exact same lighting setup. The only difference was Isabelle was on the left on the couch and Canon was on the right. I believe for these 2 shots I stayed in the same place and just panned the camera over to go between them.

I'm going to have to find a place to download that lighting example spreadsheet that people use. Essentially, the Azlo softbox with a 580EX II at full power was at camera right at approximately 45 degrees to the mid point of the couch I had the dogs on and at a height of about 4'. I had a 430EX 1/2 power shooting into an umbrella at 45 degrees and a height of 5' at camera left. I think if I had dropped the umbrella a little bit and/or increased the angle to the subject I would have captured Isabelle's right eye better.

Julie Ford
Re: Studio Shoot - photo added [Re: julief] #14607
04/14/08 04:04 PM
04/14/08 04:04 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I would move the dog further from the backdrop. You aren't getting the seperation you need with a low key style photo. White on white and black on black are really difficult to do well. Too easy to lose either one.

You really need a hairlight and kicker to give seperation, without lighting up the drop.

Re: Studio Shoot - photo added [Re: Julie] #14608
04/15/08 09:51 AM
04/15/08 09:51 AM
Illinois
julief Offline OP
Journeyman
julief  Offline OP
Journeyman

Illinois
Thanks, Julie. Actually, on my black on black shots I'm not looking for separation. My style of black on black is to have the dog appear to be emerging out of the shadows by accenting the highlights. It's just a style that I like for black dogs and my clients who have black dogs love it. I'm going to be trying a white background this weekend. The room these were taken in is small, but maybe I'll be able to set up in a bigger room with the white background.

Julie Ford
Re: Studio Shoot - photo added [Re: julief] #14609
04/15/08 04:28 PM
04/15/08 04:28 PM
V
Visceral Image Offline
Old hand
Visceral Image  Offline
Old hand
V

I can see some vertical wrinkles in the background in the second shot, moving it back would help keep the light off the background. Without a hairlight or overhead light, I think you will still get the "merging" with the background.

I wish I knew someone with one of these Danes, I would love to spend some time with them.

Re: Studio Shoot - photo added [Re: Visceral Image] #14610
04/15/08 06:48 PM
04/15/08 06:48 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Excuse, me, sir but you did have a chance to shoot a Fawn a couple of months ago if you remember. But something like a family obligation got in the way .

I don't have any Black Dane clients but the Fawn-colored boy is doing well and I'll need to have another photo session with him so, when I do, I'll let you know when and where. You'll love Drake. When he sees me, he just buries his head in my chest. I think that maybe he knows I like him.

Meanwhile, you'll have to settle for Black & Tan dogs. Let me know when you're coming to visit the guys.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Studio Shoot - photo added [Re: julief] #14611
04/15/08 06:51 PM
04/15/08 06:51 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Julies,
the nice thing about all of us is that we have a unique vision of how we want to light our dogs. I've done it both ways and I like the effect both ways. And I even like the effect of the backdrop folds flowing into the main image. There is no single right answer. Just the right execution of our own unique vision.

Or something equally pithy .

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 268 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer