Oregon
D
Dale Offline OP
Wanderer
Dale  Offline OP
Wanderer
D

Oregon
I bought a great Manfrotto tripod and ballhead to use with Canon 1DMII and 300 f/2.8 with extenders. But toting it around is so much more awkward than my monopod that I'm about to abandon the tripod for field trips and only use it when I'm not on long treks. I can't even imagine setting up the tripod quickly enough to take a photo of a bird in flight, something I've often done with the monopod. Are there any tripod experts out there who care to weigh in on how to turn a tripod into a useful hiking tool? I'll be trekking through tropical rainforests for about 3 weeks early next year and I have a bit of time to improve my technique.

Re: monopod v tripod [Re: Dale] #16494
07/13/08 11:17 AM
07/13/08 11:17 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Unless I'm on really rough terrain where I may fall with it and break something. I always walk with my tripod set up and on my shoulder. My typical rig is the tripod, wimberly head, 600mm f4, and D3.

I keep the legs extended for balance, and spread unless I'm having trouble with branches and such. My longest trek with it that way has been about 8 miles one way.

Re: monopod v tripod [Re: Dale] #16495
07/13/08 10:44 PM
07/13/08 10:44 PM
North Carolina
D
Dale Forrest Offline
Tracker
Dale Forrest  Offline
Tracker
D

North Carolina
Hi Dale,

I've never used a monopod for wildlife work. I can see why it would work
for Birds in flight and also Sports.

I have a Benbo tripod that sets up very fast on any terrain and also in the water.
I then use the Slik pistol grip for lenses up to my 50-300 Nikkor. It allows me to get a quick shot and change direction and composition much faster that a conventional tripod.

I used to use the Gitzo Ball head, but trying to set the position with the three knobs was always difficult. That's why I switched to the pistol grip. For larger lenses, the pistol grip probably won't be sturdy enough though.

I have two sizes of the Benbo and I use the Trek II for hiking. I took it into the rainforest in Tobago last year and had good luck with it. I don't usually extend the center post though and try to keep it close to the ground for support.

If you're not familiar with the Benbo, I can post a picture of it and describe how I use it etc.

just my thoughts,

Dale

Re: monopod v tripod [Re: Dale Forrest] #16496
07/14/08 12:47 AM
07/14/08 12:47 AM
Oregon
D
Dale Offline OP
Wanderer
Dale  Offline OP
Wanderer
D

Oregon
Thanks for the info.

FWIW, I have two monopods. A carbon fiber Gitzo G1568 and a Manfrotto Neotec 685B. Since buying the Neotec, I've never used the Gitzo which seems a waste because it's a fine monopod. However, using a Manfrotto 3229 swivel head on the Neotec, I can tilt the camera and raise and lower the monopod with one hand. This is extraordinarily handy because the length of the camera/lens (attached to swivel head at their combined center of gravity) means the viewfinder of the camera can pivot up and down well over a foot depending on whether I'm shooting up into a tree or down onto the ground. Since the Neotec's height can be changed with its single-handed trigger mechanism, I don't have to stoop down or stand on tiptoes to see through the viewfinder, and I don't have to use both hands to change the height as I have to with the Gitzo. Although the Neotec is handier and lighter than a tripod in the field, that comes at a price: less stability than what a tripod offers. I'm hoping to find a better way to gain monopod stability or by somehow making the tripod arrangement more convenient.

Does anyone have experience with the Manfrotto Shoulder Brace (3248 or 361)? It might be the ticket for the compromise I'm looking for. The Benbo sounds great but I think it's too heavy.

Re: monopod v tripod [Re: Dale] #16497
07/14/08 09:26 AM
07/14/08 09:26 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Another option that springs to mind when you mention the shoulder brace is a BushHawk. Basically a gun stock with a camera mounted on it. You fire the shutter with a trigger. I find it great for action.

Re: monopod v tripod [Re: Jim Poor] #16498
07/15/08 09:22 AM
07/15/08 09:22 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Simple....extend the legs and keep them all tight....easy to carry, use it as a monopod when you need to ...spread out the legs when you want more stable.

Somtimes the simplest answer is the best.

Roman

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 479 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer