Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Everyone,

Chanthee and I just got back from our VERY quick trip to New Hampshire and Maine. We did the 'what would I do if I only had 24 hours...' tour of Acadia National Park. I must say, I never thought I would find a place that reminded me so much of Jackson Hole on the East Coast. Bar Harbor is a very ritzy town - it reminded me of the Hamptons. LOL, even camping, the accomodations were attempting to break us.

One thing is for sure - I definitely want to go back to Acadia - even with the 11 hour drive from Bar Harbor to Manhattan. The weather has been HORRID - rain, rain and more rain. I have one shot of the light house at Bass Harbor that I will share tomorrow when I get home that I like that shows the conditions.

Not sure if we have others here who have done Acadia. It seems to me that while it features prominently as the most visited national park in the USA that it does not get much play here in the forums.

James

Re: Northern New England [Re: James Morrissey] #16907
08/07/08 09:03 AM
08/07/08 09:03 AM
MA
J
Joe Offline
Tracker
Joe  Offline
Tracker
J

MA
James,

My wife and I spent many vacations up in Acadia. We used to camp at Mt. Desert Campground which is located almost at the tip of the fjord that splits the island. A very convenient location for getting to both sides of the island easily ( not that the island is THAT large to begin with.)

What I like about Acadia NP is that is has a little bit of everything - if you like to spend time in/near the ocean there is Sand Beach, there are plenty of hiking trails from easy to moderate, sunrises and sunsets up on Cadillac mountain are spectacular, etc. etc. And yes there is Bar Harbor for when you need a shot civilization and commercialization.

There are other places on the island to visit - Northeast and Southwest Harbors, Thuya and Asticou Gardens,and on and on. Here is a link that will get you started.

One of my favorite walks is the hike around Jordan Pond. You start and end at the Jordan Pond House. It's a fairly easy walk - good for a couple of hours. This is a photograph that I shot from the south end of Jordan Pond looking toward a feature called 'The Bubbles.' I need to spruce it up a bit but you get the idea.

We haven't been back in a few years and it seems like it's overdue.

Joe
Re: Northern New England [Re: James Morrissey] #16908
08/19/08 11:30 PM
08/19/08 11:30 PM
Kansas
S
spartacusii Offline
Tracker
spartacusii  Offline
Tracker
S

Kansas
Hi James -

not intending to pick a fight, but your comment about Acadia being the most visited NP drew a wrinkled eyebrow from me when i read it. i had a hard time believing that this park was visited more than the grand canyon, or yellowstone, or Yosemite, & a handful of others. so i had to see it for myself, & googled 'most visited national parks in US'. fully expecting to see your statement confirmed, but still hard to believe, my instincts wound up being confirmed. the best i found Acadia was at #10, @ the following link: http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2007/07/top-10-most-visited-national-parks

but even at #10, i can agree with you that it's a bit surprising that we don't see more images of it - be it on this forum or anyplace else for that matter. not that they don't exist at all - but it does seem to be rare.

jp

Re: Northern New England [Re: spartacusii] #16909
08/30/08 09:09 AM
08/30/08 09:09 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey JP,

Thanks for sharing - I stand corrected. I was fairly positive that it was indeed the #1 park, but, LOL, I have been known to be wrong.

Anyway, Chanthee and I are driving up today for a few days to camp. HOpefully we will have a few more shots to share when we get back.

James

Re: Northern New England [Re: James Morrissey] #16910
10/09/08 02:40 AM
10/09/08 02:40 AM
Maine, USA
D
dlc Offline
Tracker
dlc  Offline
Tracker
D

Maine, USA
I haven't been to the park in a few years, shame on me because it is my backyard, so to speak. Glad you enjoyed yourself and yes, that neck of the woods is a wallet-drainer!

Re: Northern New England [Re: dlc] #16911
10/09/08 07:27 AM
10/09/08 07:27 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Debbie,

How close are you to Acadia? Believe it or not, my wife and I have been New Englanders for most of our lives, and we only started going recently. We hope to make several trips in the Spring as it is only 11 hours away from here in the City.

James

Re: Northern New England [Re: James Morrissey] #16912
10/27/08 03:35 AM
10/27/08 03:35 AM
Maine, USA
D
dlc Offline
Tracker
dlc  Offline
Tracker
D

Maine, USA
I live just under three hours away so it does take a little planning for a trek over there, but well worth it when you go.

If you enjoy wilderness camping, I suggest a few days in Baxter State Park. The last time I was there, I watched a thunderstorm encircle Mt. Kathardin, simply beautiful.

Make a list of everything you need before you go, this is no place to forget the can opener. The Gatekeeper will assign a spot for you according to the watercraft you have.

Listen to the game warden's instructions to your campsite CAREFULLY. They do not have signs pointing the way. Your instructions might include: go EXACTLY 89.2 miles on odometer, turn right.

It is a smooth ride through but definitely a tough 4-wheel drive vehicle is necessary, especially in the spring, once you make that left or right.

You will feel like everyone fell off the face of the planet, and most likely the only human contact you will have during your stay will be the game warden's that fly at tree top level to check on your well-being. Give them a thumbs-up and they are on their way.

Oh, one very important thing I don't want to forget to add, becareful, the laws of the road DO NOT APPLY.......seriously, so pay close attention to vehicles you meet.

Re: Northern New England [Re: dlc] #16913
10/27/08 03:45 AM
10/27/08 03:45 AM
Maine, USA
D
dlc Offline
Tracker
dlc  Offline
Tracker
D

Maine, USA
Post Script: Do not forget bug spray; pack food away from the tent, you WILL have vistors, so be prepared; and if you fish, DO NOT DROP A LINE WITHOUT LICENSE, this is a breeding ground for game warden's, fishing regs, strictly enforced.

Re: Northern New England [Re: dlc] #16914
10/27/08 08:11 AM
10/27/08 08:11 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Debbie,

Thanks for the information. I understand that there are lots of Moose in Baxter as well. Is that true?

James

Re: Northern New England [Re: James Morrissey] #16915
10/27/08 05:05 PM
10/27/08 05:05 PM
Maine, USA
D
dlc Offline
Tracker
dlc  Offline
Tracker
D

Maine, USA
Yesssssssssss!!! They like to visit you while you catch some z's, suggest you don't sleep with your head against the tent walls. Best bet, point your head toward the center to sleep.

If you trek away from camp, wear a bear bell and only YOU will be surprised. Also remember, we do have cougars in Maine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 535 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer