01/02/09 11:48 PM
01/02/09 11:48 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Not me . . . I doubt I'll be retiring any time soon . . . but it's time for us to retire Rowdy from showing in Conformation.

So what set of circumstances brought us to (what is for us) this monumental conclusion? Today, he won Best Veteran in Breed at the Greater Daytona All Breed Show in Deland, FL and followed it up with a Veteran Group 4. I was very proud of him. But I also saw that he's at that point where his skills as a show dog could be overshadowed by his age and increasing (to me anyway) physical deterioration. And today, he was a winner. So, what better time to stop.

Rowdy is now 11 years old (well, OK, on February 15) and he is in excellent health and is in outstanding physical shape. Last month, he took an Award Of Merit at the Gulfstream Rottweiler Specialty out of the Veterans Class. But, where he used to move with tremendous power out of his rear, he now cruises smoothly, effortlessly but without that great rear power. His topline is as spectacular now as when he was a kid. His muscle mass has declined. His attitude is still incredible. People come to watch him show and applaud him in the ring and then hug him out of the ring. But, soon, he'll migrate from being admired to being pitied and I can't let that happen. He deserves to leave the breed ring on his own terms and as a winner.

Here is the photo that I had the privilege of taking of Rowdy's AOM. I hope you enjoy it.

In his retirement, Rowdy expects to be working on his Rally Obedience titles and doing weekly Therapy visits to convalescent homes and the cancer ward of the Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children. And I expect to be even more proud of his achievements in those venues as I have been of all he's accomplished in the breed ring. It will be my pleasure to document those activities on this forum.

Jim & Rowdy

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Well, I Think It's Finally Time To Retire [Re: Jim Garvie] #19611
01/03/09 05:08 PM
01/03/09 05:08 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
sounds like he's just changing professions a bit. Sounds like he'll still be bringing lots of warmth to the people he meets. . .

Re: Well, I Think It's Finally Time To Retire [Re: Jim Garvie] #19612
01/03/09 08:35 PM
01/03/09 08:35 PM
Michigan
D
Di58 Offline
Tracker
Di58  Offline
Tracker
D

Michigan
Congratulations to you and Rowdy on a fine career. He is a magnificent animal and what he will do next is just as, if not more important. Have fun with his retirement.

Diane

Re: Well, I Think It's Finally Time To Retire [Re: Di58] #19613
01/03/09 10:12 PM
01/03/09 10:12 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Diane,
Rowdy has been active as a Therapy Dog for the past 5 years but we've not made the time for it that we should. That's my fault. Rowdy loves it more than anything.

So, starting next week, we'll sign up for regular visits and Rowdy and I will work on our entertainment presentation -- Rowdy does doggie impressions of some famous dogs (Rin Tin Tin, Lassie) as well as some visually familiar animals like harbor seals and SharPeis. But now we have to perfect the "bang bang you're dead" trick along with a few others. He can be trained to do anything. And he loves the laughter and the hugs.

Yes, that "work" is far more important -- and far more rewarding emotionally -- than anything he's accomplished in the Breed Ring. Wish you could meet him. You'd really like him.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Well, I Think It's Finally Time To Retire [Re: Jim Garvie] #19614
01/04/09 09:45 PM
01/04/09 09:45 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
That's amazing for 11! What a wonderful Rottie!

Jim, are you going to be at the Brooksville shows???

Re: Well, I Think It's Finally Time To Retire [Re: Julie] #19615
01/05/09 08:11 AM
01/05/09 08:11 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Julie,
we're definitely there on the 8th, 9th and 10th to watch one of our Cassidy/Blue puppies show. Plus, our handler from Michigan, Kimm McDowell, is here with her Special and he just took 3 back-to-back Group 1s here in Deland so I'm looking forward to being able to shoot him outdoors in Brooksville so we can get some advertising going for him.

I'm also there for sure on the 18th to photograph a client's Toy Poodle in his first show. I have several other dogs to shoot but we're still discussing which shows the owners would like me at. Plus, there's the weather thing: if it rains, I'm staying home unless it's one of the shows my puppy is in.

Are you going to be there?

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Well, I Think It's Finally Time To Retire [Re: Jim Garvie] #19616
01/05/09 05:30 PM
01/05/09 05:30 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
YEA!!!! We're gonna get to meet!! I just booked a flight down there for the 16-18th and will be shooting some clients(portrait) My flight/car was paid for and I am excited!

Super Special Dot will be there from this weekend on. She is only entered the last weekend though. I missed the deadline for the first set. Honestly, I thought she only needed 2 pts to finish and it was three. Now it is just ONE

Re: Well, I Think It's Finally Time To Retire [Re: Julie] #19617
01/05/09 07:55 PM
01/05/09 07:55 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Cool! Maybe I'll bring Rowdy along so you can meet him, too.

When the judging programs are out, I'll make plans to meet you at the Whippet ring on the 18th. Let me know your cell phone # via pm or email in case something happens.

Can't wait.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Well, I Think It's Finally Time To Retire [Re: Jim Garvie] #19618
01/05/09 08:22 PM
01/05/09 08:22 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
865 603 1215 and I can't be near the whippet ring! Dot will go crazy She has to win ONE day. Just one and it is usually a Sunday!

My plane leaves out at noon on Sunday, so, I'll have to go early Sunday to catch it.

Re: Well, I Think It's Finally Time To Retire [Re: Julie] #19619
01/05/09 09:26 PM
01/05/09 09:26 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
OK, I'll try to get up there on the 17th. I have a Dobe to shoot, a Toy Poodle, 2 Danes, 2 Standard Poodles and by then the Rottie boy will have gone home. He just took his fourth Group 1 in 4 consecutive shows. I'll send some pics. Really like him both as a show dog and as a dog. Very, very sweet.

Keep an eye on the weather: as usual, a cold front is moving through this Wednesday and the highs on Thursday are predicted to be in the high 60s. The show sight is high on a hill and is ALWAYS cold and windy this time of year. One year, the highs only reached the mid-40s. They brought in heaters and put them in tents as heating stations!

Tomorrow and Wednesday I have Dane Specialties to shoot and then the shows move to Brooksville. I'll keep you posted on weather conditions but don't necessarily assume we'll be sunny and warm. Although today was in the 80s.

We'll cheer for Dot if you need us to. We are a great cheering section and I can bring in some heavy woo woo-ers so let me know .

If it's cool, I'll definitely bring Rowdy. He's been giving me the evil eye these past few days when we've left for the shows. He's of the opinion he should be going with us.

More later. Can't wait to actually meet you in person!

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 506 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer