03/21/06 10:14 PM
03/21/06 10:14 PM
fl,ak
rustin Offline
Tracker
rustin  Offline
Tracker

fl,ak
You could download some bird calls on your ipod and then play them on a little speaker. In the Everglades,NP it is illegal to use any recordings to get a bird to come closer. During mating seasons it does put added stress on the birds. Rustin

Re: Predator calls? [Re: rustin] #2473
03/22/06 01:27 AM
03/22/06 01:27 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Rustin,

That is an interesting idea. It was once explained to me how to do moose calls with a rope and a coffee can. I was all worked up to try it until I learned that it is illegal in Yellowstone and the Tetons.

James

Re: Predator calls? [Re: James Morrissey] #2474
03/22/06 01:32 AM
03/22/06 01:32 AM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline
Veteran
D

Alaska
Coffee can and cotton shoestring, wet the shoestring, tie a knot in one end, run the shoestring through a hole in the bottom of the coffee can and run your thumb and forefinger down the string making the sound of a moose during the rut. Old hunting trick here in Alaska.

David Ramey Photography
Re: Predator calls? [Re: DavidRamey] #2475
03/23/06 12:40 PM
03/23/06 12:40 PM
J
JeffDinPA Offline OP
Old hand
JeffDinPA  Offline OP
Old hand
J

Hummm Rustin, you have me thinking now. On bird I would love to get a good clean shot of is a Pileated Woodpecker. I have only seen the bird 4 or so times. I would assume they are more talkative during mating season. I would also assume that's now here in PA.

I will have to do some searching

Thanks, Jeff
Re: Predator calls? [Re: JeffDinPA] #2476
03/24/06 01:56 AM
03/24/06 01:56 AM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

"Coffee can and cotton shoestring, wet the shoestring, tie a knot in one end, run the shoestring through a hole in the bottom of the coffee can and run your thumb and forefinger down the string making the sound of a moose during the rut. Old hunting trick here in Alaska. "

My friend told me that this was a popular practice among French Canadians who hunt. While I am not a fan of hunting, I can understand entirely this sort of things appeal to wildlife photographers. Believe it or not, we just received a solicitation to advertise digital calls on the website. As I am not interested in making NWP commercial at this time, I have turned them down. Still, it was flattering.

James

Re: Predator calls? [Re: JeffDinPA] #2477
03/24/06 06:47 AM
03/24/06 06:47 AM
Tennessee, USA
RichardR Offline
Journeyman
RichardR  Offline
Journeyman

Tennessee, USA
Quote:

On bird I would love to get a good clean shot of is a Pileated Woodpecker. I have only seen the bird 4 or so times.

You mean one of these, Jeff??

They are wary birds but I occasionally get lucky and sneak up on one.

Artificial calls are illegal in the Smokies but sure is tempting sometimes!!

Dick:)

Every day is a good day.
Re: Predator calls? [Re: RichardR] #2478
03/24/06 11:09 AM
03/24/06 11:09 AM
J
JeffDinPA Offline OP
Old hand
JeffDinPA  Offline OP
Old hand
J

Yes Richard, that's the bird. I love them and would like to get a couple good shots. Like you say they are wary, and somewhat rare. I’ll keep looking:) Great shot. Nice and sharp on the eye with a good catch light. How on earth did you get that close with a 200mm?:)

Thanks, Jeff
Re: Predator calls? [Re: JeffDinPA] #2479
03/24/06 11:35 AM
03/24/06 11:35 AM
Tennessee, USA
RichardR Offline
Journeyman
RichardR  Offline
Journeyman

Tennessee, USA
Thanks, Jeff!

Quote:

How on earth did you get that close with a 200mm?:)

It's the old question and answer; "How do you get close to a rare bird?" Answer; "U-nique up on 'em!" LOL!!!

I can sometimes get pretty close if they are busy pecking wood and eating. They know I'm there but I move only when their heads are bobbing up and down and if available, go from tree to tree, using them as cover. Other times, they just fly away no matter what I do. As with any other wildlife, I never walk directly toward them and don't make eye contact. It's not that the animal doesn't see, hear, or smell me but whether they perceive me as a threat. I don't like to sit in blinds as I'd rather cover more ground and possibly come into contact with more animals and take my chances that I'll get some shots.

Best to you,

Last edited by RichardR; 03/24/06 11:35 AM.

Every day is a good day.
Re: Predator calls? [Re: RichardR] #2480
03/25/06 07:35 PM
03/25/06 07:35 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Dick,

Very nice photo of the the woodpecker. How close do you get when photographing birds? Also, when you talk about your technique, it seems that you go to them via an indirect route...how slowly are you normally traveling when you do this?

James

Re: Predator calls? [Re: James Morrissey] #2481
03/26/06 12:21 AM
03/26/06 12:21 AM
Tennessee, USA
RichardR Offline
Journeyman
RichardR  Offline
Journeyman

Tennessee, USA
Quote:

Hey Dick,

Very nice photo of the the woodpecker. How close do you get when photographing birds? Also, when you talk about your technique, it seems that you go to them via an indirect route...how slowly are you normally traveling when you do this?

Thanks, James! I think I was about 25' away from that Pileated, using the 80-200 with 1.4x TC. That's about as close as I can get as it seems their comfort zone under the best of circumstances is about 25-30 ft.

What I generally do is to walk diagonally, sometimes having to zig-zag, taking fairly slow and deliberate steps in a smooth walking motion. I keep any free hand in a pocket and avoid any quick head motions as the 'flash' from skin or any light object alerts them and sometimes will cause flight. The crunch of footsteps on dry leaves is unavoidable and not usually a problem with steady and smooth steps but the 'snap' of a dry twig is. A lot of it is just 'feel' for what the particular animal will let me get away with!

Here's a shot of me and one of my 'buck buddies', who had recently lost his antlers:

And one of the shots from that particular encounter. I had to back the 80-200 off to 145mm:

The same buck again this Winter, sporting a new rack, about 3/4th mile from where the one above was taken. He's not a tame deer by any means!! I later saw him running away from another photographer! 160mm with the 70-200VR.

I'm no expert tracker or stalker by any means but just some of the things I've learned from others and years of 'messing around' in the woods.

Best regards,

Every day is a good day.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 547 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer