07/08/09 08:17 PM
07/08/09 08:17 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
We've discussed how all of us deal with "end of life" portrait sessions and I've done more than my share of them. For me they are cathartic to some extent. Usually they are of dogs I know well and photographing them -- and holding them -- is a way to say "goodbye" as artistically and as sensitively as possible.

But what do you do when that dog is your own? Yesterday, we learned that Rowdy has lung cancer. It is advanced; it is terminal. And he has very little time. We've vowed to make his life now as much of an adventure as it's been for the other 11 1/2 years and to continue to spoil him until we no longer can. I've tried to photograph him now -- because even though he's thinner and more fragile, he's still the Rowdster. But every time I look through the viewfinder, I see another Rowdy. I see him as a puppy that nobody wanted. I see him as the strapping 3-year-old that ranked in the top 25. I see him as the empathic therapy dog that encouraged severely autistic children to rub his ears and smile for the first time in their lives. And I can't press the shutter. I simply can't do it.

So, over the next few days (maybe weeks) we'll take care of our guy. Soon, he'll let us know it's time for him to leave us. His girlfriends from all over the country -- the young women who have shown him and done therapy work with him -- have decided to come and visit him one more time. And, yes, I'll photograph those times because Rowdy will be incredibly happy. But I don't think I can do any "end of life" portraits. I guess I just want him to live forever. And, in people's hearts and memories, I think he will.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: End Of LIfe Photography: What If It's Your Dog? [Re: Jim Garvie] #24029
07/08/09 08:58 PM
07/08/09 08:58 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Oh my Jim I am so sorry to hear this news. I sit here fighting tears though we've never really met.

I just don't know. You have so many wonderful photos of him already so it isn't like you have to "make up" for not having them.

If it were me, and it was not so long ago, I'd probably keep a camera around for the good moments, but wouldn't make any special attempts to get "the shot." I think I'd just let it happen.

I wish I could offer some sort of comfort.

Best,
Jim

Re: End Of LIfe Photography: What If It's Your Do [Re: Jim Garvie] #24030
07/09/09 03:32 AM
07/09/09 03:32 AM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand
Tucson Jim  Offline
Old hand

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Oh my goodness Jim. How terribly sad. Even though I am a relative newcomer to NWP, I think that those of us who regularly frequent this forum and have been treated to tales of his many exploits have come to view Rowdy as a member of our extended family.

We all know of Rowdy's community service record. I also know that there is nothing I can say to console you right now, but I hope you can find some solace in knowing how much joy he brought into the lives of countless people.

Jim

Re: End Of LIfe Photography: What If It's Your Do [Re: Tucson Jim] #24031
07/09/09 04:16 AM
07/09/09 04:16 AM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
Jim, I am so sorry for your difficult time. I hope you realize that your pain is felt by many and that we wish it could be an easier time for you. Give hugs and kisses from us as we have gotten to know him though your writings and images. Hugs to you too.

Peggy Sue
Re: End Of LIfe Photography: What If It's Your Do [Re: Peggy Sue] #24032
07/09/09 07:16 AM
07/09/09 07:16 AM
North Carolina, triangle area
wallyspop Offline
Old hand
wallyspop  Offline
Old hand

North Carolina, triangle area
Jim, I am at a loss for words. My prayers are with you, Linda, and that big special guy of yours. Give the big lug so many hugs in the coming days that he gets annoyed! The images you have in your head and your heart of the special guy will last your lifetime...

Re: End Of LIfe Photography: What If It's Your Do [Re: wallyspop] #24033
07/09/09 08:09 AM
07/09/09 08:09 AM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
Jim, I think you have it right. Rowdy is so lucky to have a Dad like you.

Enjoy your last times with him and show him some new adventures.

Re: End Of LIfe Photography: What If It's Your Do [Re: psmith] #24034
07/09/09 09:50 AM
07/09/09 09:50 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
First of all, I just want to thank all of you for your kind words and, most of all, for caring. In all things in life, even the down times, there are things to smile about. I watch Rowdy and realize that he doesn't know he has cancer and so he doesn't feel sorry for himself. He doesn't feel as good as he has but it that doesn't mean he can't enjoy his life.

This morning, he came in from his morning potty break and spent about 10 minutes exchanging ear licks with Cassidy who is in heat. Rowdy's pretty sure he's going to get lucky one more time and Cassidy, though she's Rowdy's daughter, would be more than willing. The old boy is still a stud. When she goes into standing heat, we'll have to make sure they are kept apart or he just might try to make some more rowdy puppies.

And, speaking of rowdy puppies, we have a Rowdy kid staying with us this week. His name is Max and he's bigger than Sundance (honest). I'll take some pics of him later today to share because I think you'll enjoy them. BTW, his formal name is Beachwalker's Rowdy To The Max .

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: End Of LIfe Photography: What If It's Your Do [Re: Jim Garvie] #24035
07/09/09 10:01 AM
07/09/09 10:01 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I am so sorry Jim. I have tears rolling down my cheeks reading this. I did have the pleasure of meeting Rowdy in Florida and I feel very lucky to have

You see with your heart which is why I tell people I do not want to help them choose their photos. They see something very different than I do

Re: End Of LIfe Photography: What If It's Your Do [Re: Julie] #24036
07/09/09 06:15 PM
07/09/09 06:15 PM
Kentucky, US
L
lucy Offline
Tracker
lucy  Offline
Tracker
L

Kentucky, US
Jim,

I am so sorry to hear about Rowdy. I will keep you, your family and Rowdy in my prayers. Rowdy is very lucky to have such a wonderfuly family.

L

Re: End Of LIfe Photography: What If It's Your Do [Re: lucy] #24037
07/10/09 03:31 PM
07/10/09 03:31 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hi Jim,

I am sorry that Rowdy is ill. I hope that the time he has left is as pain-free as possible. I completely agree with you about how hard it is to photograph your loved one when it feels like the end. There are so many dynamics attached to the photo session that make it different than when you are photographing someone else's. The irony is that I am sure that much of your business, like mine, is made up of families where the pet is at the end of their life.

I was about to share my own experience with Four Legged James when he was sick, but I don't want to take the focus from Rowdy. To make a long story short, it is a hard job that you took on...one that I also struggled with when the rubber hit the road. As another thought, have you considered asking a colleague that you trust to try a session if it is too much emotionally?

James

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 484 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer