Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline OP
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Alaska
I have sent an e-mail to my customers informing them that I will be retiring this year. I have received e-mails back saying that I will be missed, that I was a fixture at their events and that I have been one of the family. I no longer have the stamina to photograph a dog agility trial from first thing in the morning until the last run of the day. Since I can no longer do the job properly, it is time for me to step aside and hope that someone else can do the job properly. I gave my customers 3 months to place their orders and then after that, there will be no more photos for sale. I am moving on to other patures. I staked out a mining claim and will be mining for Gold and taking nature photos. Dog Agility has been good to me and my family. It has provided income for my family for 10 years and I will miss it. I will stop by from time to time, but from May 15 until October or November, I will be at my Placer Mine.

David Ramey Photography
Re: Retirement [Re: DavidRamey] #28439
02/26/10 02:16 AM
02/26/10 02:16 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hi David,

Wow - that is a definite change in lifestyle. How do you feel about this?

James

Re: Retirement [Re: James Morrissey] #28440
02/26/10 02:23 AM
02/26/10 02:23 AM
CA
StarrLight Offline
Veteran
StarrLight  Offline
Veteran

CA
Hey just get a laptop with satellite or wireless (phone) internet and send us some gorgeous mountain and stream photos from the claim site! Good luck in your new ventures!

Diana

Re: Retirement [Re: James Morrissey] #28441
02/26/10 02:44 AM
02/26/10 02:44 AM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline OP
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Alaska
Quote:

Hi David,

Wow - that is a definite change in lifestyle. How do you feel about this?

James

Hi James,

It really isn't a change in lifestyle, just another side to me being an outdoorsman. While I will miss the dog photography, I am doing other things that I enjoy. I am lucky that Dog Agility has enabled me to retire at 58.

David Ramey Photography
Re: Retirement [Re: StarrLight] #28442
02/26/10 02:46 AM
02/26/10 02:46 AM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline OP
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Alaska
Quote:

Hey just get a laptop with satellite or wireless (phone) internet and send us some gorgeous mountain and stream photos from the claim site! Good luck in your new ventures!

Diana

I have had the ability to do that for over 7 years.

David Ramey Photography
Re: Retirement [Re: DavidRamey] #28443
02/26/10 03:29 AM
02/26/10 03:29 AM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline
Veteran
glamson  Offline
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Quote:

I have sent an e-mail to my customers informing them that I will be retiring this year. I have received e-mails back saying that I will be missed, that I was a fixture at their events and that I have been one of the family. I no longer have the stamina to photograph a dog agility trial from first thing in the morning until the last run of the day. Since I can no longer do the job properly, it is time for me to step aside and hope that someone else can do the job properly. I gave my customers 3 months to place their orders and then after that, there will be no more photos for sale. I am moving on to other patures. I staked out a mining claim and will be mining for Gold and taking nature photos. Dog Agility has been good to me and my family. It has provided income for my family for 10 years and I will miss it. I will stop by from time to time, but from May 15 until October or November, I will be at my Placer Mine.

David,

So I am a little confused by your announcement. I understand the part about covering agility being very demanding. What I don't quite get is how mining gold is a less demanding lifestyle that could be called retirement. I know a few people up here in the Sierras that spend some time mining gold and they tell me it is some of the hardest work they've ever done. Is it really less strenuous than covering agility?

When I retired at 57 (got you by one year) my idea was to spend my time doing fun and adventurous things and photographing things that I enjoy. The idea of putting in alot of hard work like that involved in mining never entered my mind.

Am I missing something here?

Re: Retirement [Re: glamson] #28444
02/26/10 09:15 AM
02/26/10 09:15 AM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline OP
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Alaska
I can do work on the mine when I want to work and stop when I need to rest. With the agility, I had to start photographing at 9:00 am and I would finish up around 4:00 to 6:00 pm with no breaks. I lack the stamina to continue working long hours with no breaks.

David Ramey Photography
Re: Retirement [Re: DavidRamey] #28445
02/26/10 09:55 AM
02/26/10 09:55 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Sounds pretty good to me. I understand about the rigors of shooting Agility Events. I'm not sure that folks who have not done it can appreciate the fact that you're busy from the first run of the day early in the a.m. until the last run of the day in late p.m. It's definitely a younger person's gig.

I've pretty much decided not to pursue All Breed Conformations shows for the same reason -- the running from ring to ring and shooting from 8 a.m. until dark is just a bit much for a guy pushing 63. Still like the Specialties because I can set up in one place and control the lighting.

All I can say, David, is good luck and much enjoyment. Life is about lifestyle and enjoying what you do each and every day. You've had some health issues which I'm sure have focused you on what you want to do for the rest of your life. I think you have a lot of options beyond Agility Photography and the mining sounds like a "hard work is it's own reward" type of activity. There's a certain honesty about that type of work that is cleansing.

How about the lens rental project you were talking about sometime last year. How did that pan out (pun intended)?

Best of luck and keep sending photos. Love seeing your work in all venues.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Retirement [Re: Jim Garvie] #28446
02/26/10 12:10 PM
02/26/10 12:10 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Hey congrats on being able to do it!

Re: Retirement [Re: Jim Poor] #28447
02/26/10 08:58 PM
02/26/10 08:58 PM
Nashville Tennessee
Durwood Edwards Offline
Old hand
Durwood Edwards  Offline
Old hand

Nashville Tennessee
Welcome to the retirement group!

After 3 years of this stressful lifestyle, I believe I have mastered the job of doing what I want when I want, and found the work for which I am best suited!

Durwood Edwards
www.joelton.org

"Never miss a good chance to shut-up!" - Will Rogers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 559 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer