01/29/13 11:56 AM
01/29/13 11:56 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
There are many advantages to living in Central Florida but one of them is certainly the proximity to some great theme parks like Sea World, Universal Studios and the multitude of parks that make up the Disney complex. We've lived down here for 24 years and have enjoyed our trips to all the parks often visiting them more than once in a year.

However, we realized this past Christmas that we had only visited Disney's Animal Kingdom once in all the time we've lived down here and we had such a great time there -- some 6 years ago -- and got such great images of the animals there -- especially the gorillas -- that we decided to celebrate Linda's birthday there last week. Of course having a friend who works there and can get us in for free, isn't such a bad incentive either grin.

Walking into the Kingdom, we were once again impressed with the lovely flowers that seem to peek out from all the tree tops. Here are a few for your enjoyment.

On our way to visit the gorilla enclosure, we passed through areas with a wide variety of birds including the Roseate Spoonbill.

And the African Spoonbill.

Some ducks.

And some very colorful flying birds as well.

But, eventually, we got to the gorilla enclosure and got to see some of the animals I had photographed 6 years ago. Two of the younger males were there the last time we visited but they were now much more mature and relegated to one side of the ravine away from the large Silverback and his girls and kid.

And they were not necessarily happy about that, either smile. The Silverback had a young child -- probably around 3 years old -- and the kid spent the entire time we were there running around his dad and doing his best to bother him. The Big Guy showed tremendous patience and tolerance. Here's the baby's reaction to finding a kong that had already been emptied by his mom.

And here's dad demonstrating the reason he's called a "Silverback".

We hung out with the gorillas for almost an hour and were treated to a lot of great poses and great information provided by the Disney employees. A bit farther along on our walk, we came to the Tiger compound. There we were treated to two females that gave us some great photo ops -- albeit through the glass viewing stations. Still, I was happy with the end product.

And, on our way out, I was reminded that we hadn't photographed any giraffes or elephants so I captured this big boy hanging out near the Rainforest Cafe.

Most people have very strong opinions about zoos. We feel that they provide a wonderful opportunity for people like us to actually see and learn about animals that we will probably never get a chance to see in the wild. And to see what the better zoos are doing to help preserve these lovely creatures for future generations. And Disney is a very good and dedicated caretaker. These are some of the best cared-for animals you will see in any zoo environment.

We had a great time. I hope you will enjoy this photographic tour of Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Animal Kingdom [Re: Jim Garvie] #39485
01/30/13 12:29 AM
01/30/13 12:29 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Very nice shots, Jim. You are right about the strong emotions on zoos. Personally, I find them depressing. However, there is no question that they are important and necessary things. Photographing in zoos should be encouraged as they create a love for other animals and respect for the environment. Again, nice work, Jim.

Jmes

Re: Animal Kingdom [Re: James Morrissey] #39486
01/30/13 01:30 AM
01/30/13 01:30 AM
CA
StarrLight Offline
Veteran
StarrLight  Offline
Veteran

CA
Yes, really great shots Jim! I am always amazed at the gorillas and their facial expressions. I used to really hate seeing the gorillas at the denver zoo, their enclosure was way too small but the one at San Diego is huge and varied. Nothing like having miles of territory but I think the zoos have come a long way in learning how to come up with new stimulations. I'm lucky enough to have the S.D. zoo and Balboa Park less than a mile or so from my house, am way overdue for another photo excursion.

Re: Animal Kingdom [Re: StarrLight] #39489
01/30/13 10:56 AM
01/30/13 10:56 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Diana,
my feeling about the gorillas at Animal Kingdom is that:
1. they have a great environment and appear to be enjoying it
2. so many people from all over the world get to see them and realize that they are endangered and, hopefully, will want to help them.

The Disney folks discussed with us how they maintain a database of every gorilla in captivity all over the world and the bloodlines of each of them so when they breed, they can find the best matches for overall health and longevity. They want these animals to survive. They are working to make it happen. A lot of the anti-zoo folks talk a good game but don't ever actually do anything to preserve the species. Philosophy without appropriate action is just a lot of hot air IMHO.

I've been to the Miami Zoo, Atlanta, Louisville -- some of the finest zoos in the world. As a photographer, I value the opportunity to see these guys and capture images of them.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 245 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer