05/20/13 12:47 AM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
Too funny, since I include myself in that generic "old guard" remark. grin

I agree that many newbies to the animal world seem to start out in the outdoors and then gradually stop saying "I prefer that lighting", when the learn how wonderful indoor studio work can look.

I shot commercial work for many years and used hot lights. When I built my studio I soon realized that myself and the four legged clients could not take the heat. But it sometimes works for babies smile I have to turn up the heat for the rug rats - LOL

Jim, I am looking forward to more images of your new pup. How about posting some here?

Peggy Sue
Re: Studio or outdoors [Re: Peggy Sue] #39738
05/20/13 09:43 AM
05/20/13 09:43 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Peggy Sue,
now that the major work is completed for the Dalmatian National we just shot, I'll be catching up with portraits of all the dogs but we'll concentrate on Jimmy first. I'll share when I have something new.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Studio or outdoors [Re: James Morrissey] #39741
05/21/13 12:00 PM
05/21/13 12:00 PM
Kansas
psmith Offline
Pooh-Bah
psmith  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Kansas
Mainly through personal contacts I've established with editors. Although more and more come through folks that see my work on Facebook, or see a photo credit in a magazine.

Originally Posted By: James Morrissey
Hi Preston,

How are you selling stock directly? I know this may seem stupid, but I have never figured out how people are able to do really do it and make a volume doing it.

James

Re: Studio or outdoors [Re: psmith] #39749
05/23/13 05:04 PM
05/23/13 05:04 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Thanks, Preston. You have had to figure out and negotiate your own rates then - or are you using the stock calculator?

James

Re: Studio or outdoors [Re: Jim Garvie] #39927
10/02/13 04:50 PM
10/02/13 04:50 PM
California
Jenny Offline
Wanderer
Jenny  Offline
Wanderer

California
For myself and I know this applies to others in my area, a studio is just too expensive. Personally I haven't had the opportunity to get much experience with studio lighting but would be willing to learn it.

Bark "Cheese"
Re: Studio or outdoors [Re: Jenny] #39931
10/06/13 07:49 AM
10/06/13 07:49 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Jenny,
my "studio" consists of the two Alien Bee 400s I bought in 2000, two light stands, a backdrop stand and a variety of backdrops. I can set that up anywhere either in my own home or in the home of a client. The portability factor was very important for me since I bring this setup to the dog shows I shoot. But I've used it as well for pet portraits and the fact that you can bring it with you makes it more convenient for the animals I shoot since they can stay home and be comfortable.

I use the strobes for outdoor shoots as well when I want to be absolutely sure of the lighting and control the shadows. Yes, I've had that setup in a home studio and it was convenient but you don't always have to have a physical studio to take studio portraits. And learning how to use studio strobes greatly increases your versatility and what you can offer professionally.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Studio or outdoors [Re: Peggy Sue] #40164
01/05/14 01:26 PM
01/05/14 01:26 PM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
Happy New Year!

Update…
About a year after the start of this subject, I have ordered several new backdrops in order to play more inside. Might be because the outside temperatures are suppose to reach record lows tomorrow, but also because I do want more control to be able to shoot when I feel like shooting. Weather really does sometimes get in our way!

This background was purchased on a lark and is meant to be the start of a project that will become a painting. But I like the way it shoots and is a bonus to have a fun added benefit. Cannot wait for the new backgrounds to arrive and start to play.

Still the question is….
Do you like indoor or outdoor or both and why?

Peggy Sue
Re: Studio or outdoors [Re: Peggy Sue] #40166
01/08/14 10:05 AM
01/08/14 10:05 AM
Ohio
BGryphon Offline
Wanderer
BGryphon  Offline
Wanderer

Ohio
As to the original question; inside or out? I would love to have a studio and do more formal work.

I was able to assist Peggy Mundell when she was here in her cross-country tour a few years ago and enjoyed using het kit. Now I do seasonal work taking school ID pix for a national firm; for those I also get to use a 'real lighting kit' - although hauling 120 pounds in and out, setting up, tearing down, etc is not so much fun.

Taking my part-time pet photo business full-time suddenly and a year or two ahead of plans when I got laid off means I don't have a studio. So I have to work on-site; exterior or interior with my own limited portable lighting.

My connections, volunteer work and pure chance has lead to my doing more work with cats and 'small pets' (bunns etc) than pups which has made the need (although not my desire) for a studio a bit less.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 349 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer