Eden (no really!)
J
jamesdak Offline OP
Old hand
jamesdak  Offline OP
Old hand
J

Eden (no really!)
Just getting home from Glacier and settled in. Figured I'd post a couple of quick edits I did while on the road. I'll get some better stuff up once I have time to work the images. Honestly was not planning on even working bears this trip but since the opportunity was there.

Enjoy!

Re: Quick bear shots from Glacier NP [Re: jamesdak] #39801
07/01/13 11:59 AM
07/01/13 11:59 AM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand
Tucson Jim  Offline
Old hand

Tucson, Arizona, USA
These are some great shots James. I look forward to seeing more from your Glacier trip.

Jim

Re: Quick bear shots from Glacier NP [Re: Tucson Jim] #39804
07/03/13 11:33 PM
07/03/13 11:33 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

i'll say! These are great. You were very fortunate to get these. Where abouts did you see the grizz on the West Side? Were you up North near Bowman?

James

Re: Quick bear shots from Glacier NP [Re: jamesdak] #39806
07/04/13 07:58 PM
07/04/13 07:58 PM
Eden (no really!)
J
jamesdak Offline OP
Old hand
jamesdak  Offline OP
Old hand
J

Eden (no really!)
The Grizzlies were actually in the Many Glacier area. They were a pair of 3 year olds mating in the meadows. Was able to find them several different days in that area.

The Black Bear was actually in the meadow right beside Rising Sun. He actually ran into the cabin area while I was working him. They had a bear trap set for him when I left because he was becoming a problem.

I actually saw bears all over the east side this trip. The most on any of my trips there. I just lucked out that the mating pair were so cooperative. In fact the one day they worked too close and I had to keep retreating .

Re: Quick bear shots from Glacier NP [Re: jamesdak] #39807
07/05/13 11:11 AM
07/05/13 11:11 AM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey James,

So you DID sneak over to the East Side! Many Glacier is one of my favorite places. Was this on a back trail? Or was this conveniently close to the side of the road? When I was there last year, many of the trials were closed due to griz activity.

James

Re: Quick bear shots from Glacier NP [Re: James Morrissey] #39808
07/05/13 02:00 PM
07/05/13 02:00 PM
Eden (no really!)
J
jamesdak Offline OP
Old hand
jamesdak  Offline OP
Old hand
J

Eden (no really!)
Originally Posted By: James Morrissey
Hey James,

So you DID sneak over to the East Side! Many Glacier is one of my favorite places. Was this on a back trail? Or was this conveniently close to the side of the road? When I was there last year, many of the trials were closed due to griz activity.

James

Actually I was on the east side pretty much the whole trip. Just did not make it south of the Going to the Sun Rd despite plans to do otherwise. The last day I did drive the whole road over to Lake McDonald but solely for the purpose of recording with a GoPro mounted to the truck. This trip was actually a bit of a mess this time. I had an inner ear infection that wouldn't quit and spent 5 days very, very dizzy. Couldn't even walk a straight line across a parking lot. So my back woods excursions were limited. Made it hard to do all the waterfall shots I wanted to do also as I just could not safely work around the banks. It was totally crazy and a problem I never had before.

Those grizzles were in the meadows at various distances off the Many Glaciers Road so easy to shoot. Especially with the old manual focus 800/5.6, LOL!!

But I did see other bears on my few trail excursions and of course high up on the various ridges. Was even eating breakfast the one morning at Swiftcurrent and looked out the window to see a young grizzly come out of the camp area to the edge of the pavement. He proceeded to lay down and roll over to scratch his back. I watched a minute or two but no one else noticed him. So I said something to the folks next to me and that got everyone's attention. About the same time some lady came wandering across the parking lot right up to the bear. She totally freaked when he suddenly rolled backed onto all fours and took off running just a few yards from her. Comical since it turned out ok.

Very common in my experience for them to close trails in this area due to bear activity. But in my many trips there I've seen bear all over at all times or signs of them. Just how it is and I am sure there are plenty of times folks pass right by them without noticing. Of course I have been a solo hiker my whole life and move quietly in the woods always on the lookout. That was another reason though I did not hike much this trip. Every time I turned or nodded my head I got dizzy. I did not consider it safe for me to go in very far in that condition.

Last edited by jamesdak; 07/05/13 02:02 PM.
Re: Quick bear shots from Glacier NP [Re: jamesdak] #39811
07/05/13 10:12 PM
07/05/13 10:12 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey James,

That's awesome. I am really happy for you. It sounds like you had lots of opportunities - even if it was just to fill the 'memory card between your ears.' Have you recovered from your illness?

James

Re: Quick bear shots from Glacier NP [Re: James Morrissey] #39813
07/10/13 10:18 PM
07/10/13 10:18 PM
Eden (no really!)
J
jamesdak Offline OP
Old hand
jamesdak  Offline OP
Old hand
J

Eden (no really!)
Yep, back to as normal as I can get, LOL! Seriously thinking of going back in the summer on a long weekend even if I have to sleep in the back of the truck. This dang government worker furlough is going to cost me $700-$800 a month is lost salary. So I will certainly have the time off to go but maybe not the money, figures! mad

Re: Quick bear shots from Glacier NP [Re: jamesdak] #39815
07/11/13 02:06 PM
07/11/13 02:06 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Jim,

I did not realize that you were impacted by the furlough. May I ask what you do?

James

PS Sorry if that is a bit of a thread hi-jack.

Re: Quick bear shots from Glacier NP [Re: James Morrissey] #39816
07/11/13 10:10 PM
07/11/13 10:10 PM
Eden (no really!)
J
jamesdak Offline OP
Old hand
jamesdak  Offline OP
Old hand
J

Eden (no really!)
Well even though I am retired Army I work for the Air Force now as an Information Assurance Officer. Fancy term for maintaining some computers, LOL!

I came real close to cancelling the trip because I felt bad about spending the money but it's been 4 years since I had a break and I needed it.

The whole furlough thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I left a job in the private sector 3 years ago because I still wanted to serve my country. Even took a paycut to do it. Didn't complain about no pay raises or even no cost of living adjustments over the past 3 years. But now subjecting us to this furlough because our elected officials have forgotten who they work for is just too much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 353 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer