07/06/22 05:32 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

John Marcello recounts his experience photographing puffins in Newfoundland.

[Linked Image]

Re: Glorious Newfoundland [Re: James Morrissey] #43942
07/06/22 07:30 PM
07/06/22 07:30 PM
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

[Linked Image]

We rented a home in Trinity, on the Bonavista peninsula in Newfoundland. Its address is Calf’s Nose Point. No street. No number. It is actually unspoiled. Calf’s Nose Point is a rocky promontory jutting in Trinity Bay. Our rental is its sole structure, built in the 1800s and now meticulously reincarnated.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The people of the Island were also remarkable. Newfoundlanders are gregarious survivors. It was a joy to be among them. Their island is glorious, rugged and often serene. A visit is not enough. If it is not clear, we loved Newfoundland.

[Linked Image]

Our goal was to photograph puffins. Puffins are a brilliant novelty. Flamboyant and uncommon for this part of the world. They are storybook cute. Catching them in flight is like photographing a short pass from Tom Brady. With any trip like this, you cannot guarantee results - but I was lucky and they cooperated. They were often times landing so close at Elliston that a 500mm prime lens was too much for the task. The puffins at Bonavista lighthouse were equally obliging. Beautiful little things.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Initially, the notion of puffins so close on the shore seemed preferable to the uncertainty and restrictions encountered at Machias Seal Island. Indeed, I was able to photograph without regard to a boat schedule. Once in Newfoundland, the beautiful, rugged and serene landscape captured us.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The weather was generally good for what we were doing. Temperatures averaged 40-60 degrees Fahrenheit with a high close to 80 on our whale watching day. The day of our departure was rainy, windy and in the 40s. Luck is good.

A photographic grand slam in Newfoundland might include images of puffins, whales and icebergs. We were very fortunate to to have the weather and skilled captain to complete the search.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I still don’t have a shot of a puffin with is mouth full of fish. Perhaps next year. I am still trying to capture an osprey in a dive the moment enters the water and will work on that this summer. I am also planning to photograph loons this year.

Editor's Note:
Thanks to John Marcello for sharing this story and these amazing photos. The images in the article are all (c) John Marcello and have been licensed to the NWP Photo Forum for the purpose of this article. If you would like to see more of John's work, check out his website: www.johnmarcellophotography.com. If you like this article, please check the rest of our articles on the www.NWPphotoForum.com! You should also check out our private Facebook Group. Like's and shares count on Social Media, so please do so if you feel it is appropriate.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 370 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer