11/19/06 10:02 PM
11/19/06 10:02 PM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Marty Everhard Offline OP
Old hand
Marty Everhard  Offline OP
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah

I spotted a great buck in a friends back yard last week, but he took off before I could get anything but a grab shot.
But now I can look for him- when I went back, he wasn't there but I got a couple of the family while I was there- hope I see him again............

I had to clone stamp out a branch or two from this last shot, it is work in progress I am still experimenting. The rest were almost straight thru from adobe raw to saved as jpeg with no more then a little exposure comp in the converter- just nice and close with 5D, 70 -200 mm IS 2.8. The bird is probably over a 100% crop, the 12.8 megapixels go a long way here. I love this set-up! I was ten yards from the fawn, maybe 20 on the blue bird- caught the branches a little there also .........
Thanks for looking.

Re: Backyard shots [Re: Marty Everhard] #5688
11/20/06 12:04 PM
11/20/06 12:04 PM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Old hand
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
Just for fun-
Here is a copy of the doe , still with the branches- I couldn't get closer without startlinh her.If anyone can successfuly edit it, let me see it!

and here is the buck I am stalking- like I said though, a grab shot with 20D and 17-85 f4/5.6, at about 75-100 yards, dusky light. Notice the othere 5-6 deer, including a younger buck, helping themselves to the apples...........man I hope I get a cleanshot of this guy- this one doesn't do him justice......

Re: Backyard shots [Re: Marty Everhard] #5689
11/20/06 04:31 PM
11/20/06 04:31 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Nice captures, here's a couple of mine from yesterdays outing. . . Enjoy

Attached Files
Re: Backyard shots [Re: Tony Bynum] #5690
11/21/06 12:28 AM
11/21/06 12:28 AM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Old hand
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
Interesting how the focus/depth of field can blow right by the grass/ branches in those. Actually adds to the composition, I think -in mine I almost prefer to leave the branches as they were. Out of curiosity, what exif is behind those,camera-lens etc?? Tony, your shots are consistently outstanding. How do you do it?

Re: Backyard shots [Re: Marty Everhard] #5691
11/21/06 12:40 AM
11/21/06 12:40 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Marty, thanks for the compliments.

I usaully shoot wide open f2.8 with all my wildlife. the buck shot was f2.8 @ 1/2000 of a second, iso 400 (forgot to change it). The light is critical for wildlife shots. I also shoot off a monopod. I focus on the nose, or the front tip of the anlter if there is brush in the way. for the doe buck shot, I stoped down to f5.6 (I did not want to risk only getting the grass and NOT the doe in focuse) I then focused on the doe, then dropped down below the grass for the composition. I shot some of her in focus and then recomposed to get him in focus for other shots. I used center (not spot, or matrix and -.3) metering so that the black background would not add to the exposure. I almost always shoot cloudy, these shots were cloudy -3 with a d200. . .

Here's a different shot, not as dramatic but interesting nonetheless. . .

Attached Files
Re: Backyard shots [Re: Tony Bynum] #5692
11/21/06 01:55 AM
11/21/06 01:55 AM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Old hand
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
Looks like the buck is saying something....

Focus on the nose/ antler- I always go for the eyes,,,,,I shall try this......and you intentionaly put the grass in the composition - interesting.Why do you like the cloud wb? I have read in a Bryan Peterson book that is his choice also in most cases, I so far don't see it but mostly I have been experimenting with it in the raw converter, with shots taken in auto.It seems a wierd color cast that way but I have not really done much in camera. I do work on the ISO, the fur on these guys is tough for me to get just right..the lowest ISO seems best for it but shutter speed is the override., not much though just a subtelty.
Admirable stuff - you did not mention, what lenses are your main ploys? I see lottsa close shots from your posts.

I use a good tripod where I can, a monopod mostly on day hikes,with remote trigger- and I guess anything else to me is a grab shot.
Hopefully get that buck, I don't think he is far from the doe...

Re: Backyard shots [Re: Marty Everhard] #5693
11/21/06 09:39 AM
11/21/06 09:39 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
He is, he's saying, "I think she's ready to mount."

I use 400 and a 500 mm nikons.

Why do I like the cloudy WB? It's warmer. digital cameras often shoot too cool!

Keep in mind that DOF is deeper from from to back than back to front. In other words, if you focus on the eye - which is good to do, but you miss it for the ear or the body, your face will be out of focus because the DOF is VERY VERY short in front of the focuse point. If you miss the focus on the nose, your likely going to get the face, in any case, your eye will be in focus. . .

I NEVER shoot RAW. All JPG. You have to nail the exposure if you shoot jpg's but that's not hard, especially if your an old film shooter. . . it just is the way you do things.

ISO is not much of an issue for me from 100-400. Sure I'd like to shoot 100 all the time, but I cant. . .

Re: Backyard shots [Re: Tony Bynum] #5694
11/21/06 01:15 PM
11/21/06 01:15 PM
USA
K
Krey Offline
Wanderer
Krey  Offline
Wanderer
K

USA
"Keep in mind that DOF is deeper from from to back than back to front. In other words, if you focus on the eye - which is good to do, but you miss it for the ear or the body, your face will be out of focus because the DOF is VERY VERY short in front of the focuse point. If you miss the focus on the nose, your likely going to get the face, in any case, your eye will be in focus. . ."
Didn't know this trick ! Really good advice , I usually try for the eye but a nose is a whole lot bigger and easier to focus on . Thanks !

Pbase.com/krey
Re: Backyard shots [Re: Krey] #5695
11/21/06 02:31 PM
11/21/06 02:31 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Yes, and if you miss it, you will hit the eye. If the animals is too far away, you'll just have to hit the head, that will do at that range.

Attached Files
Re: Backyard shots [Re: Tony Bynum] #5696
11/21/06 11:56 PM
11/21/06 11:56 PM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Old hand
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
Tony-
We all appreciate your tips here, it was nice of you to share them. I was back today looking for the buck twice, saw 7 doe/fawn at one time but the buck was nowhere to be seen yet. ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh tomorrow............

all shot on 5D and 70-200 2.8 IS handheld

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 573 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer