over the rainbow
R
roley Offline OP
Tracker
roley  Offline OP
Tracker
R

over the rainbow
I'm curious how other people plan their photo shoots, if at all? I try and get as many different shots as possible in different poses, but tend to work around the animal andits natural movements rather than making it pose, but it seems that when I get back to my computer there is always one or two poses that I missed out, or that would have been perfect but I forgot to include them:(

Is it just a case of needing more experience or taking more photos (usually minimum of 100, closer to 200), or do others run through a check list as they go? I guess it might be a bit easier for studio shots, but does anyone have a good method for making sure you get all the shots/poses you need for outdoors shoots?

Thanks

Michelle

Re: How do you plan your photo shoots? [Re: roley] #6234
01/08/07 07:38 AM
01/08/07 07:38 AM
T
Tess32 Offline
Journeyman
Tess32  Offline
Journeyman
T

I try and make it as natural as possible. The last few shoots I've had were with dogs that have no obedience and couldn't be even directed to sit, so I just had to wait, and try and set things up as much as possible. You wont' always get an easy subject unfortunately.

The very last one I did, the dog was very very very nervous of dogs and people so I had to work around that by waiting patiently until he relaxed, hiding behind trees etc.

I just try and shoot naturally and I don't pose them other than placing them in good light.

D'urberville Photography http://www.durbervillephotography.com.au
Re: How do you plan your photo shoots? [Re: Tess32] #6235
01/08/07 11:54 AM
01/08/07 11:54 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
It just depends. I will not work without assistance. If I do a doggy daycare, one of the staff helps me pose the dogs. If I do show dogs, their owners are the ones setting them up. If it is a singular pet shoot, it depends on what I am going for. I cannot work in a studio without either the owner handling the dog or have a dog wrangler.

Outdoor shots are easier.

Re: How do you plan your photo shoots? [Re: Julie] #6236
01/08/07 05:27 PM
01/08/07 05:27 PM
Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
PossumCorner Offline
Old hand
PossumCorner  Offline
Old hand

Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
Quote:

It just depends. I will not work without assistance. .... Outdoor shots are easier.

Yes assistance is a must - most of my portrait shots are at Club where the dogs have at least commenced obedience training. But it still takes one person to handle the dog and another with a food or squeaky-toy attraction to either gain a more alert expression (I don't like it when this is over-done) or just to keep the head still a moment for a sharper shot.

With posing, natural is great, but as with horses a dog with a hip-shot stance or shoulders drooped and neck slunked is not always a good look. I think it is always best to try also for a few shots with something like a show stack even with crossbred dogs to show the conformation at its best. This is case-by-case: of course a nervous dog that has not been taught to stand will be confused and unwilling (melt-down).

It's not a big issue, just that I think the client should be offered a formal as well as informal style even if they have not known to ask for it - it can be the shot they choose for a larger print.

With stack shots (win shots, or non-winners at owner's request) at a show, an assistant to get the dogs attention/ears up as well as a dog handler is a must - and I think even a pet-only shoot should include the same assistance for best result.

If handler/owner included in shot, say sitting on the ground side-by-side, the look to avoid is the handler grasping the dog firmly as if to prevent escape: often it comes through as looking more forceful/controlling than a partnership/friendship look.

Puppy litters are outside my experience to shoot, and I'd love some advice on how a frisky group are managed??

Re: How do you plan your photo shoots? [Re: PossumCorner] #6237
01/08/07 06:02 PM
01/08/07 06:02 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Puppy litters are best handled with experienced breeders. The last person who stacked the whippets did the best job I have seen, she also was the one who laid them down as cute as they were. I have a close friend who is excellent with handling puppies and dogs in general. I use her when necessary. She and I work great together and I don't have to explain things to her.

I have worked with some breeders that want puppy photos and stacked photos in general with THEM behind the dog. Drives me crazy. It is harder to get a good stack from the front, but, it sure looks a heckuva lot better.

If a puppy just will not hold still, spin them. Literally take and hold them to you and spin in a circle until they are dizzy. Makes them much easier to handle

Can't really do that with pet owners, but most show people are all for making a tough job a bit easier. It really works

Re: How do you plan your photo shoots? [Re: Julie] #6238
01/09/07 03:16 AM
01/09/07 03:16 AM
Victoria, Australia
chezzyr Offline
Journeyman
chezzyr  Offline
Journeyman

Victoria, Australia
I am dealing with (mainly) pure breeds and often show dogs, so my priority is to get flattering 'correct' representations of the breed. Generally formal stack shots,
head and sometimes gaiting. Once I have done those more formal shots then I might do some candids and fun shots where I welcome ideas from the owners or use my own.

I agree with Julie and will say I have found show people helpful. Most owners are great to deal with in that they 'know' what they want (or I will tell them what I need) and will help set the dog. Best there is someone,
or several people present to help 'bait' the dog, get/keep its attention. Assistants help things flow better and allows one to do things in a more timely manner.

Also there are different 'preferences' for different breeds as far as stacking, angles, head carriage, ear set etc. Even some pet owners may want something that is true to the breed and not looking too sloppy.

With puppies, the last lot I photographed there were four people present myself included. Even then we didnt do the whole litter. Just individuals or a few at a time. Frisky puppies - use several handlers or find a way (eg props) to 'contain' them. Good reflexes, patience and a sense of humour a must.

My online photo galleries: http://www.pbase.com/chezzyr
Re: How do you plan your photo shoots? [Re: chezzyr] #6239
01/09/07 10:23 AM
01/09/07 10:23 AM
over the rainbow
R
roley Offline OP
Tracker
roley  Offline OP
Tracker
R

over the rainbow
Thanks so much everyone for sharing your experiences:)

So far, I have had one assistant for every shoot that I have done (well except my own animals), and have already figured out how important that is:) I wouldn't have thought to have so many handlers for a litter of puppies so thanks for that tip Cheryl!

Luckily I have shown my own dogs so I understand how important it is for the dog to be correctly stacked and presented and I think an eye for positions/angles that make the confirmation of the animal look weird is important even with cross breeds and in candid shots.

I'm trying to get three or four photo shoots in a week aside from my normal photography, so hopefully it will all come together by the time I start doing this for real:)

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 349 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer