01/09/07 10:03 PM
Victoria, Australia
chezzyr Offline OP
Journeyman
chezzyr  Offline OP
Journeyman

Victoria, Australia
Hi all

I tried to do a search on this subject as I am certain it has been covered atleast once.

Anyway, this is aimed at those who have been "official photographers" at an event eg horse shows, dog shows etc. How do you 'deal' with other people taking photos on the day?

Cameras are getting more advanced and alot more people acquiring SLRs (even the compact cameras do a great job but their presence may not seem as obvious at an event as an SLR would).

How do you as an Official Photographer view 'other' camera presence at an event? I myself have a dim view of people who snap away and then distribute the images afterwards, whether for free or seriously undercutting the Official Photographers - which can seriously effect the OPs chance to cover their costs.

If I am NOT an official photographer or don't have the blessing of the show organizers to take certain photos then I won't. It just isn't ethical.

But having been an Official Photographer on a number of occasions I have seen some of the caper that goes on. I am getting to the point where I feel I need to express my concerns to club/show committees but am a bit unsure on how to word things.

Thanks for listening, and for your input!

My online photo galleries: http://www.pbase.com/chezzyr
Re: question for horse/dog show official photographers [Re: chezzyr] #6254
01/10/07 06:57 PM
01/10/07 06:57 PM
Victoria, Australia
chezzyr Offline OP
Journeyman
chezzyr  Offline OP
Journeyman

Victoria, Australia
Attn Moderators

I was having a think that perhaps this should be in the 'business' section (NWP Shop Talk). Feel free to move this topic over there if you feel that more appropriate.

Thanks.

Last edited by chezzyr; 01/10/07 06:58 PM.

Re: question for horse/dog show official photographers [Re: chezzyr] #6255
01/12/07 09:24 PM
01/12/07 09:24 PM
over the rainbow
R
roley Offline
Tracker
roley  Offline
Tracker
R

over the rainbow
Cheryl, I am surprised that no-one has responded to your post, I was hoping to see other peoples answers as well.

I don't have any experience, but I can certainly understand what you are saying, especially in regards to undercutting the official photographer.

I guess the only way to avoid or minimise it would be to have a signed contract with the Club that no other commercial photography is allowed - maybe this should be included in writing on the Show Schedule for everyone to see, with all your contact details. Part of the contract could include the Club being responsible for telling people not to take photos, if it happens on the day.

However, I think this is one of those things that unless all official photographers take the same stance, then an individual might be labelled difficult and not commissioned to be the official photog again.

Also, unless someone is obviously handing out flyers/business cards and making it well known that they are selling prints, I doubt that club officials would be keen to approach everyone with a camera (although I believe at the Royals they will ask someone with pro looking equipment to leave, so it does happen).

I imagine this would cause more animosity (people do have the right to photograph their own or their friends dogs after all), and I suspect that it might actually damage the official photographers reputation.

Then you have other people who might be there to develop their skills as a photographer - they may not be selling their prints, but they are there developing their skills so that they can do so in the future, so they are future competiton to the official photographer.

Similarly, many artists will attend dog/horse/cat shows to obtain reference photos for their artwork and might very well be handing out business cards, seeing as many pro-photographers won't allow their photos to be used as art reference without $ compensation. How do you treat these type of photographers?

I don't know the answer but maybe it boils down to the need to make your ("your" as in any pro-photog not just you personally) own photography unique, different, exceptional so that client's seek you out for the end result that only you can create.

Maybe writing a detailed letter/email explaining how you feel and the reasons (covering costs etc) and providing that to the show committee when you are approached to be the official photographer is the way to go. It definitely needs to be addressed before the actual show day though, so that the photog is not seen as being difficult.

I really hope others with experience in dealing with this situation come forward and post. Or maybe everyone is in the same situation - not liking it but not knowing what to do either?

Re: question for horse/dog show official photograp [Re: roley] #6256
01/13/07 12:25 AM
01/13/07 12:25 AM
T
Tess32 Offline
Journeyman
Tess32  Offline
Journeyman
T

Do you think it depends on the size of the show Chezzyr? By that I mean things like the Royal would be different?

I haven't been an official photog yet, but when I do the national, I have said I don't want anyone with pro equipment taking photos, but friends/other exhibitors is ok. This is mostly because most of my income will depend on the sales, so I can't have anyone else selling photos from there, or publishing them.

D'urberville Photography http://www.durbervillephotography.com.au
Re: question for horse/dog show official photograp [Re: Tess32] #6257
01/13/07 12:53 AM
01/13/07 12:53 AM
Victoria, Australia
chezzyr Offline OP
Journeyman
chezzyr  Offline OP
Journeyman

Victoria, Australia
This is a really "aggravating" topic and I do not know the answer ;-) I do know that I have been on both sides of the fence.

At a recent show where I was OP there was quite a number of SLRs present (and compacts and videos). My jaw hit the ground. I bit my lip and soldiered on. I could quite easily have packed up and left.

I suspect committees would not want to ruffle feathers and get exhibitors offside by restricting photography. I do not have a problem (if I am OP) with someone taking a couple of shots of their own dog or a friend but when it obvious someone is taking many shots or doing ALOT of filming for many 'friends' thats when I wonder. Do you say something or don't you?

Re: question for horse/dog show official photograp [Re: chezzyr] #6258
01/13/07 01:27 AM
01/13/07 01:27 AM
Victoria, Australia
chezzyr Offline OP
Journeyman
chezzyr  Offline OP
Journeyman

Victoria, Australia
Roley

To me its not about restricting 'other' commercial photography, it is about exhibitor's/friends in general having respect for the official people present. Even distributing quantities of images for free is going to greatly effect photographer's sales. After all, why would someone bother to buy a photo when they can get something similar for free?

I think its a different issue if people are there taking different kinds of photos to what the OP is taking, they could have any reason for doing this. If its not clashing I don't see the problem. If its clashing I see it as a big problem.

Re: question for horse/dog show official photograp [Re: chezzyr] #6259
01/13/07 10:25 AM
01/13/07 10:25 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
It really depends on what the agreement between the show and the OP is. Exhibitors and their friends/family will always take photos. SELLING the photos or causing a loss of sales is a different issue. friends/family shouldn't shoot over the shoulder of the OP with the win shots. I think many have gone to digital signs to mimimze this

I know at some dog shows there ARE people who are shooting candids and handing out cards. Same with horse shows.

Again, the larger shows there are written agreements. You have to have show management that will honor those. If I am at a show just taking photos of friends and for my own use, I tend to talk to the OP. Usually, they are there only to do win shots and I do not go near win shots.

Re: question for horse/dog show official photograp [Re: Julie] #6260
01/13/07 12:25 PM
01/13/07 12:25 PM
Northwest Washington
B
Blue Dog Offline
Tracker
Blue Dog  Offline
Tracker
B

Northwest Washington
It depends. Casual small shows with spectators using point and shoot cameras don't matter much to me.

If I have been requested to photograph an event, usually an announcement is made in the flier and at the site that no other photography is allowed on site. Certainly the organizers and judges know I am the photographer so all the win photos are taken by me.

Sometimes someone will pull out their SLR and telephoto lenses to shoot their own family member and or pet. I don't get excited about it or too turf oriented as long as it is just a few shots.

When I am at an event and another photographer has been designated, I do not pull out my equipment except for a point and shoot to do casuals of friends and family. No one has jumped on me for that.

Have fun!

Re: question for horse/dog show official photograp [Re: Blue Dog] #6261
01/13/07 04:32 PM
01/13/07 04:32 PM
Victoria, Australia
chezzyr Offline OP
Journeyman
chezzyr  Offline OP
Journeyman

Victoria, Australia
I was told by one club/committee that they can control what goes on INSIDE the ring but not outside the ring. This was interesting seeing that most of the photography (myself included) was going on from outside the ring anyway. I have even been told by people (non official photographers) to move because I was in THEIR way. They were doing alot of filming. Gotta love it!

Re: question for horse/dog show official photograp [Re: chezzyr] #6262
01/13/07 04:43 PM
01/13/07 04:43 PM
Victoria, Australia
chezzyr Offline OP
Journeyman
chezzyr  Offline OP
Journeyman

Victoria, Australia
Bluedog I have NEVER come across a situation where the show says "no other photography allowed on site". I would love to be a fly-on-the-wall if that was to happen here...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 171 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer