Georgia
A
agilitycrested Offline
Wanderer
agilitycrested  Offline
Wanderer
A

Georgia
If someone wants to take a picture and its not using your setup, background, etc. they should be able to. I wouldn't want to be forced to purchase a picture if I was happy with what I could take. Win photos are different, you are expected to buy those.

Re: question for horse/dog show official photograp [Re: agilitycrested] #6264
01/14/07 01:23 AM
01/14/07 01:23 AM
T
Tess32 Offline
Journeyman
Tess32  Offline
Journeyman
T

Using someone elses setup would be just rude...I can't imagine too many photographers doing that to another photographer. People might not be aware though, so they may not be doing it maliciously, they just don't realise what is rude or not in that industry and things like that. Sometimes you can just politely tell them "no" and most people would just say "oh sorry" and put their camera away without issue!

I just don't want to see it get SO posessive that there are no opporunties to practice your own photography, or simply take candids and things like that.

That's what happens at the Royal....the OPs don't even TAKE ring photos but you still aren't allowed at all. It's a complete waste of an opportunity. But that's probably the organisers, not the photographers. It's a shame anyway.

D'urberville Photography http://www.durbervillephotography.com.au
Re: question for horse/dog show official photograp [Re: agilitycrested] #6265
01/14/07 10:00 AM
01/14/07 10:00 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Agility crested, the problem is that many times OP pays quite a bit of money for the opportunity to take photos. Depending on the show, it can be quite expensive. Not to mention you are there 12 hours a day running ragged, your travel costs, and hotel.

The problem isn't really spectators snapping shots, but people coming in and selling photos on the sly. Those people tend to slip in, hand out their cards and leave when they feel like it. Not to mention they don't have to pay the show for the privledge.

And, for dog shows, having someone snap a shot over your shoulder, with your sign is not only rude, it is stealing. The winners do not HAVE to purchase the photo, but, if they are back there behind you with their easy share camera they have probably wasted their time taking the shot. The person just used their sign ect;

I haven't run into these things, as I have not done any large shows. I do know it is a problem at large A horse shows. I do know the OP will get quite angry and WILL get management down

Tess, I still think one has to get permission from the show or pay a vendor fee to be fair. Just because the OP isn't doing those shots, doesn't mean it is a free for all.

Event photography is long hours and tough as it is. Add in people making it less lucrative and worth the while(the scabs selling at a show you are a OP) it just sucks.

Re: question for horse/dog show official photograp [Re: Julie] #6266
01/14/07 12:29 PM
01/14/07 12:29 PM
Georgia
A
agilitycrested Offline
Wanderer
agilitycrested  Offline
Wanderer
A

Georgia
Quote:

And, for dog shows, having someone snap a shot over your shoulder, with your sign is not only rude, it is stealing. The winners do not HAVE to purchase the photo, but, if they are back there behind you with their easy share camera they have probably wasted their time taking the shot. The person just used their sign ect;

Thats what I said, the win photos are your setup, others shouldnt be taking that photo. If they want that shot themselves they shouldnt call the photographer over.

Re: question for horse/dog show official photograp [Re: chezzyr] #6267
01/14/07 01:53 PM
01/14/07 01:53 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
Quote:

Hi all

How do you as an Official Photographer view 'other' camera presence at an event? I myself have a dim view of people who snap away and then distribute the images afterwards, whether for free or seriously undercutting the Official Photographers - which can seriously effect the OPs chance to cover their costs.

This is what is being discussed and what is very irritating at shows. Like I said, have you ever been an OP at an event and had this happen, your sales will reflect it and it is frustrating and can be infuriating.

I am fine with exhibitors families to come up and shoot with me. I have had more than one sit and ask me questions, which I am glad to answer and help them out. Those people seem to almost always buy from me. Of course, I can hear they are missing the shot.

Of course, the win photos it is hoped you will buy. You don't HAVE to. There are many times the shots just aren't good for whatever reason. Send them back and don't buy them

Of course, not calling them over works too.

But, if you look at the original question, it was more about people horning in and stealing your business. Not friend and family

Re: question for horse/dog show official photograp [Re: Julie] #6268
01/14/07 06:44 PM
01/14/07 06:44 PM
Victoria, Australia
chezzyr Offline OP
Journeyman
chezzyr  Offline OP
Journeyman

Victoria, Australia
"Event photography is long hours and tough as it is. Add in people making it less lucrative and worth the while....."

Julie, you have hit the nail on the head with this comment. Yet in my case (and my experience) I am just as concerned about the people who are shooting/filming similar material on behalf of other exhibitors and then distributing the images/footage for free afterwards. Money or no money involved, it is undermining the OP in my opinion.

As for banning equipment - pro or otherwise, I think that would just be opening a can of worms as some people could be there for legit reasons and not trying to shaft the OP (in my case if not OP, I might be on media or other assignments). But it can be hard to establish who is doing what unless you talk to the management and there isnt always time to do this on the day. Sometimes one only finds out when its too late and the peak ordering period has been and gone...

My online photo galleries: http://www.pbase.com/chezzyr
Re: question for horse/dog show official photograp [Re: chezzyr] #6269
01/15/07 05:27 AM
01/15/07 05:27 AM
T
Tess32 Offline
Journeyman
Tess32  Offline
Journeyman
T

Julie, I'd be fine with paying vendor fees, if they actually LET me! With the royal they pretty much just close off any opportunities for anything.

I'm sure there are lots of legal reasons and problems etc etc, but as I mostly just want to use the royal to get some nice photos, it sucks.

D'urberville Photography http://www.durbervillephotography.com.au
Re: question for horse/dog show official photograp [Re: Tess32] #6270
01/15/07 02:52 PM
01/15/07 02:52 PM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline
Veteran
D

Washington
I just shot a show this weekend, I do only movement and candid shots during the groups (mainly because it is impossible to keep track of who is handling what dog in the breed rings, so with groups I only have one of each breed to contact). I always of course, contact the people putting on the show first and most of them have no problem with me doing that and I always pay a vendors fee.

I NEVER shoot anything an official photographer is. I never shoot any win shots at all, and I of course never shoot anyone by any photographers set up. I only do in the ring movement and candid shots. I have been surprised at how popular this is, people love having their dogs shot in action. These are indoor shows and I am using the 200 1.8 lens so no flash, so it's something that most people are not able to get with their cameras. I often have people come up to me to ask if I am a "commercial photographer" when their dog is in the ring and ask for a card.

On the other side of the fence, for instance, I want to go to a horse show in August to take photos for reference for my art. I wrote to the show committee to ask if this would be OK, (as I always do). Then I wrote to the official photographer and told her what I would like to do and why, and asked her if she wouldn't mind. The committee said if it was OK with the photographer, it was OK with them. The photographer was very nice and said sure and to come up and say hi while I was there. So I can now go without any worries that anyone will be miffed at me taking photos. (also will have model releases if I get some shots I may want to paint. Easier to do at a horse show than a dog show).

I don't have any problems with people takig photos of friends and giving them out but I agree, no one should be selling out from under you. I have not seen that happen personally but I am sure it does!!

My Web Site www.deedeemurry.com
Re: question for horse/dog show official photograp [Re: Julie] #6271
01/15/07 04:39 PM
01/15/07 04:39 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
How do you 'deal' with other people taking photos on the day?

if it's your gear, I'd say NO.

other wise i invite them. there's no way on person can cover all the events and when I shoot wildlife sports events, i'm always curtious of other photographers.

They can shoot all day long as far as I'm concernd, but at the end of the day, it's the images that people want that sell.

If youre exclusive and paying for the shoot as the photographer, I'd say there again too, you have a right to limit who's shooting and for what reason. If others are getting in your way, and youre the "official" guy, I'd take it up with the event folks or the sanctioning body.

I dont think I'd be worried about a PS guy, they get what they get but they cant compete, I see it all the time at horse races and rodeos.

At the end of the day, i try to make friends with all the shooters around me. It's importanat to gain the respect throught both your images and your personality.

If you have an issue with people shooting, make sure it's in your contract and have the people sponsoring the event take care of the problems, that way youre not trying to enforce their rules!

Take care,

Re: question for horse/dog show official photograp [Re: Tony Bynum] #6272
01/16/07 01:39 PM
01/16/07 01:39 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
The animal event photography world is very very small. You can choose to be a good guy and work WITH people or you can choose to get a bad name and have people bristle when they hear it.

I am a nobody, so it is irrelevant *at this point*. What DeeDee did is exactly what one does to make good relations and long term allies.

I don't get bent out shape in general. I would if I saw someone shooting professionally and handing out cards. The free photos are problematic too, but they are less sinister than someone who is willfully taking your business.

There is a newish photographer that is doing some events and due to their EXTREMELY low pricing, I will never try and shoot those events. Their photography is decent, they basically give it away though. $2 for a full res image. Maybe volume makes up for it!

Having worked in sales my whole life, I have learned it is best not to try and force my way into anything. I can stand on my own merits.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 463 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer