Colorado, USA
B
Buddy Thomason Offline OP
Traveler
Buddy Thomason  Offline OP
Traveler
B

Colorado, USA
Just a few more days... Here are a couple from last night.

Re: Run-up to the Full Moon [Re: Buddy Thomason] #10122
08/27/07 12:18 AM
08/27/07 12:18 AM
Colorado, USA
B
Traveler
Traveler
B

Colorado, USA
The first shot was earlier when there was still a lot of blue in the sky. The second one was probably 10-12 min. later.

Here's the set-up for these shots:

Canon 1D MKII (1.3 crop factor)
500 mm telephoto - 1.3X500=650mm
Tripod
miror lock-up function on
noise reduction on
10 sec. shutter delay
ISO 100
f 4 aperture
1/125 sec. exposure
auto white balance

It was cool. I set up on top of the parking deck over at my office. The moon was E SE and the sunset was due West. All I had to do was rotate the camera/lens on the tripod and take turns shooting both scenes. Here's a sunset shot.

Re: Run-up to the Full Moon [Re: Buddy Thomason] #10123
08/28/07 11:59 AM
08/28/07 11:59 AM
Colorado, USA
B
Traveler
Traveler
B

Colorado, USA

The eclipse thing was a total curve ball for me. I stumbled outside at about 4 AM, forgot my glasses, cranked up the ISO all the way (3200), open the lens up all the way (5.6 with the 1.4 extender - 910mm total) and still had to shoot at less than 1/15 (slower and the moon blurs because it's moving). All of that and I really couldn't tell if the focus was right or not. Finding the edge of the moon with autofocus provided enough contrast to trigger the system. The eclipse was overall a lot darker than I thought it would be - plus it goes on for hours and hours. I would love to see other folks' pictures of the eclipse if there are any.

Last edited by Buddy Thomason; 08/28/07 12:01 PM.
Re: Run-up to the Full Moon [Re: Buddy Thomason] #10124
08/28/07 12:35 PM
08/28/07 12:35 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
cool stuff.

howe come your title is "total eclipse of the moon" when in fact, it's only partially eclipsed?

Please excuse me if I sound ignorant, but I've seen eclipses before an even a few total eclipses and they covered by a complete shadow. . . Is this a shot of a lunar eclipse? Maybe I'm thinking of a solar eclipse where the moon is blocked out?

In any event, I like the shots, very nicely done!!!!

Re: Run-up to the Full Moon [Re: Buddy Thomason] #10125
08/28/07 02:33 PM
08/28/07 02:33 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Nice work!!!!

I went out early this AM...(been up since 1:30AM now)

My son and I had a nice time watching it...got a nice shot of it over Portland.

Wonder if any one else got some shots?

Roman

Re: Run-up to the Full Moon [Re: RomanJohnston] #10126
08/28/07 07:19 PM
08/28/07 07:19 PM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline
Veteran
D

Alaska
I stayed up all night to photograph the lunar eclipse and just before the partial eclipse, a cloud covered the moon and kept the moon covered during the whole eclipse. It was as dark as a new moon.

David Ramey Photography
Re: Run-up to the Full Moon [Re: Tony Bynum] #10127
08/29/07 01:06 AM
08/29/07 01:06 AM
Colorado, USA
B
Traveler
Traveler
B

Colorado, USA
Quote:

howe come your title is "total eclipse of the moon" when in fact, it's only partially eclipsed?

Because I'd been up most of the night, probably.

Beautiful shot, Roman!

The shadow passed Left to Right. Very difficult subject to photograph, as I said. This one is a bit better.

Re: Run-up to the Full Moon [Re: Tony Bynum] #10128
08/29/07 07:12 AM
08/29/07 07:12 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Quote:

cool stuff.

Please excuse me if I sound ignorant, but I've seen eclipses before an even a few total eclipses and they covered by a complete shadow. . . Is this a shot of a lunar eclipse? Maybe I'm thinking of a solar eclipse where the moon is blocked out?

In any event, I like the shots, very nicely done!!!!

That ISNT a partial eclipse. The regular moon is about 4-5 stops brighter....your seeing the movement of the darkest part of the shadow across the face of the entirely blocked moon. On his AND my picture...the shadow has moved a bit to the right....and in about an hour later....portions of the moon are again fully exposed to the sun and you start to see the standard white crecent moon transform to a full moon over the next hour....the moon is never fully dark...as the distance of the moon from the earth allows some bleed over light to occur keeping it softly lit and the red is from the light bending in the prismatic atmosphere of earth. If the moon was further or closer.....it would be a diffrent color due to the prisim effect on the asmosphere....and be darker or lighter during the transition.

Roman

Re: Run-up to the Full Moon [Re: RomanJohnston] #10129
08/29/07 01:34 PM
08/29/07 01:34 PM
Colorado, USA
B
Traveler
Traveler
B

Colorado, USA
Roman - Thanks for explaining so well. You're right on. We were out shooting at the same time - I can tell by your image (plus I checked EXIF).

I went outside when the moon was fully obscured by the shadow. It was quite a dark orb with some mottled orange glow showing through. The shadow continued to slowly migrate to the Right and eventually the Left rim of the moon began to really fire up. By that time I'd been shooting, checking my LCD and essentially trying to find the shutter speed that would work best. I couldn't change any of the other parameters as everything was max'd out.

I was disappointed with my images at first, but remembered that a lunar eclipse is not nearly as dramatic as a solar eclipse. The moon's beauty is not enhanced by a lunar eclipse, it is progressively obscured.

The images I posted above are exactly what I saw through the lens and looking at Roman's image confirms it. I really appreciate being able to compare images and learn from the process.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 255 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer