Kansas
S
spartacusii Offline OP
Tracker
spartacusii  Offline OP
Tracker
S

Kansas
i noticed that quite a few people responded to james' suggestion for a post processing challenge, but no one went so far as to make a submission. So, i tried to submit a file. but it was the original RAW file, & this site apparently doesn't allow RAW files to be submitted.

so james asked me to send the file to him. i was quite fond of the shot, & rather pleased with my edit. but i would love to see this image if anyone can improve upon it. this challenge has produced some great stuff in the past, & i see no reason that we shouldn't see even better now. can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

james asked me to start this thread with my original edit, so here you are. i guess james is going to somehow make the file available to anyone that wishes to participate - he'll have to let you know how to go about getting it.

jp

Attached Files
Re: Submission for the post processing challenge [Re: spartacusii] #10158
08/30/07 10:05 AM
08/30/07 10:05 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
interesting shot. what's already been done to it? and why the very high noise level. Is that part of the challenge?

Thanks for posting the shot.

Re: Submission for the post processing challenge [Re: Tony Bynum] #10159
08/30/07 10:22 AM
08/30/07 10:22 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Here's 5 minute job. In my opinion, there's too much noise, in fact, the darker areas just cant be "fixed" in this shot, the noise already had blown them. I think my rendition is too blue. I like the original better then mine! But, I think the first shot was too warm, so I guess I over did it by cooling it too much. I'm not much of a PS guy, but when I have noise in my images its caused by either poor exposure, (wait for better light) or too high and ISO - (better camera, or better light). The noise in this shot leads me to believe that it's already been modified in PS and that it was a poor exposure to begin with, or that it was shot at a high iso. . .

I wish the flower in the foreground would bloom or leave, it really is a strong element. . .

Thanks for posting the shot. I hope other's can do a much better job that I did I'd like to know more about PS and how to rescue shots. . .

Attached Files
Re: Submission for the post processing challenge [Re: Tony Bynum] #10160
08/30/07 12:33 PM
08/30/07 12:33 PM
Kansas
S
spartacusii Offline OP
Tracker
spartacusii  Offline OP
Tracker
S

Kansas
tony -

some of the noise you reference is probably due to my pp, but i'm sure it was there to start with, & the pp just amplified it. this camera was relatively new (around 5 months) but with very little usage. this was taken while on vacation to the pacific NW, & when i got back, i realized that there was some serious issues with the files & random excessive noise. & when i say excessive, i'm talking about almost obliterating the shot. so i have no doubt that it was generating noise on a number of shots where it is less visible but the pp would find it for sure.

i hadn't actually considered the noise factor for the challenge, but as long as it's there, if someone produces a better image than either of us, then we all can benefit.

i should also point out that if you look at the exif, the shot was taken @ ISO 1000. that was a mistake - i did not know that i was shooting at that ISO. however, this camera was supposed to be very strong at the higher ISOs w/ very little noise. the camera has since been sent in to canon to address the matter. they did find that something wasn't connected & made the repair.

you probably also noticed (don't know how you could miss it) that there were all kinds of dirt spots on the image. i thought they were sensor specs, & kept trying to clean the sensor. but no matter how much i cleaned, the specs were still there. i studied the lens, & all looked ok in that dept. however, i did some more serious checking after i satisfied myself that it was no longer the sensor & i got clean images w/ other lenses. then i KNEW it had to be this particular lens. it was very hard to see, but INSIDE the lens on the large end there was all kinds of crud. & this lens was purchased with the camera & had hardly been used. don't ask me how that stuff could have been in there from the point of manufacture, but it had to be. i sent the lens in w/ the camera, & canon took care of it.

so hopefully now, this kind of problem wouldn't occur again. i wonder if i could get canon to cover the cost of me going back

let's see what else is submitted. i agree that your blue is a tad stonger, but for the most part, it looks pretty much the same as mine, don'tchya think? hard to say for sure havoing to jump back & forth, but that's the way i am seeing it.

jp

Last edited by spartacusii; 08/30/07 12:49 PM.
Re: Submission for the post processing challenge [Re: spartacusii] #10161
08/30/07 12:35 PM
08/30/07 12:35 PM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Waiting for the RAW file to show up.....

:~)

Roman

Re: Submission for the post processing challenge [Re: RomanJohnston] #10162
08/31/07 12:22 AM
08/31/07 12:22 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Submission for the post processing challenge [Re: James Morrissey] #10163
08/31/07 07:24 AM
08/31/07 07:24 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Got this message:
File download ... (128-bit SSL encryption)

This file has reached its maximum allowable downloads.

It seems that there are 3 downloads available per file upload.....Guess there are 3 people named Roman out there...LOL!!!

Roman

Last edited by RomanJohnston; 08/31/07 07:29 AM.
Re: Submission for the post processing challenge [Re: RomanJohnston] #10164
08/31/07 07:32 AM
08/31/07 07:32 AM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

LOL. I am working on it. It is coming your way, Roman.

James

Re: Submission for the post processing challenge [Re: James Morrissey] #10165
08/31/07 08:00 AM
08/31/07 08:00 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Got it....thanks!!!

Will work on it this evening.

Re: Submission for the post processing challenge [Re: spartacusii] #10166
08/31/07 09:42 AM
08/31/07 09:42 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
D
donaldmullaney Offline
Wanderer
donaldmullaney  Offline
Wanderer
D

Boynton Beach, FL
Hi,

This is my first post so it's nice meeting up with all of you.

I realize that all of this is subjective so I gave this my best shot anyhow.

I removed the noise with Noise Ninja and adjusted the photo with Photoshop Elements.

I moved the horizon up to the upper third of the picture, removed that distracting plant, darkened the bright area near the rock on the right side as well as adjusted saturation and contrast.

Hope you like it!

Attached Files
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 336 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer