Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey JA,

I just checked out your blog again. Nice uploads. I think it is great that you have found a niche. Is this something that you want to make professional or just a love of ducks for hobby?

Some of your shots are quite outstanding. My two favorites are the ones you showed earlier today. Are you using flash for your photography to freeze your ducks motion, or are you shooting sans flash?

-JM

Re: Introduction - [Re: James Morrissey] #1027
11/23/05 06:57 AM
11/23/05 06:57 AM
Wisconsin
J
JAJohnson Offline OP
Wanderer
JAJohnson  Offline OP
Wanderer
J

Wisconsin
hey JM...
I do sell prints not on a big time bases... mostly word of mouth right now... I do have plans in the future to do more... going to have a couple coffee table books done hopefully by fall...
I as many have a love hate relationship with flash... gads... but I do use it I would say about half the time... I am trying to embrase it but it just can be the devil sometimes... LOL
the two you like as your favorites are both shot without the use of flash... the one was alot of hours of going to the same spot over & over & finding the light, the angle & then the day came when it was time to try to get that girl to give me her wings in the perfect form... LOL but it did pay off... the portrait of the wood duck was a oh my look how is out amongest the ducks, surprise, great lighting come in & snapppppppppppppp goes that one... LOL
so all & all I just rambled on & to answer your questions... gads me.. I guess because I have sold prints that makes me a professional...LOL & for flash it is a good thing but am still trying to fall in love with it...LOL
& yes I do have a love of ducks... LOL

Jill

Re: Introduction - [Re: JAJohnson] #1028
11/23/05 09:07 AM
11/23/05 09:07 AM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

"I as many have a love hate relationship with flash... gads... but I do use it I would say about half the time... I am trying to embrase it but it just can be the devil sometimes... LOL"

I know...I am trying to knock it out all together (but I know that will never happen). How much work are you doing in Photoshop when you are using flash? It seems that birds are exceptionally sensitive to the use of additional light sources.

-JM

Re: Introduction - [Re: James Morrissey] #1029
11/23/05 09:16 AM
11/23/05 09:16 AM
Wisconsin
J
JAJohnson Offline OP
Wanderer
JAJohnson  Offline OP
Wanderer
J

Wisconsin
hummm... it really does all depend... I do seem to run corrections on images using flash but then again I run it without... LOL I am really a shoot from the hip kind of gal... I am so not techie... LOL I wish I was in some way... & even tried to some years back, but somewhere in all the techno info of knowing somethings it just got in my way for the feel of photography as an art... hummm wonder if that makes sense... don't get me wrong you should always try to get it right in camera but if it means taking away from the art end of it for me I always let go of the tech stuff & shoot from within...
gaddddddddddds... ok just here a day & already I am sure you see I am a rambler... LOL sorry
hope somewhere in all them words I answered your question...

JAJ

Last edited by JAJohnson; 11/23/05 09:16 AM.
Re: Introduction - [Re: JAJohnson] #1030
11/23/05 06:18 PM
11/23/05 06:18 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

"I am so not techie... LOL I wish I was in some way... & even tried to some years back, but somewhere in all the techno info of knowing somethings it just got in my way for the feel of photography as an art... "

You are right. Photography is an art and sometimes it becomes easy to forget. I plan on visiting your blog often as some of your work is really quite excellent - and obviously art.

Sincerely,
James

Re: Introduction - [Re: James Morrissey] #1031
11/23/05 09:17 PM
11/23/05 09:17 PM
S
Sheebs Offline
Wanderer
Sheebs  Offline
Wanderer
S

James, can I put you on the spot? How familiar are you with competitions and wildlife? I don't know much about how they judge these, but I have seen a couple of JAJ shots that might fare well in competitions. Particularly the Wings of Light.

Is that ok to ask, JAJ?

Re: Introduction - [Re: Sheebs] #1032
11/23/05 10:18 PM
11/23/05 10:18 PM
Wisconsin
J
JAJohnson Offline OP
Wanderer
JAJohnson  Offline OP
Wanderer
J

Wisconsin
sure thing Sheebs... I just tried a couple of days ago because the light was just right again to capture that shot with a male... gadddddddddddds no luck... sighhhhhh... tis okaz I will get him yes sirreeeeeeeeee... heheeheee

JAJ

Re: Introduction - [Re: JAJohnson] #1033
11/24/05 09:51 AM
11/24/05 09:51 AM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

"James, can I put you on the spot? How familiar are you with competitions and wildlife?"

Hey Sheebs,

The answer is, 'not very.' I was speaking to Daisy Gillardini about this (one of the folks I interviewed) and she rattled off a few of them. When I get a chance to go through her text again (she is #2 on the docket for interviews going up), I will gladly post them.

-JM

Re: Introduction - [Re: James Morrissey] #1034
11/24/05 09:52 AM
11/24/05 09:52 AM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

On that note, if people know of legitimate competitions, please feel free to post them here.

-JM

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 350 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer