Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline OP
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Washington
Peggysue, some of these shots I did shoot from above, I was on a hill and part of his "path" was below me and part was even with me. So that might be putting the perspective of his legs off in some of the images. But no, he really doesn't have an unbalance between his legs and his body, another factor may be his thick cresty stallion neck making his upper part seem overdone? He is about 16 hands. Also if you are used to arabs, could it be that you are accustomed to seeing their short backs which would make their legs seem a bit longer than some other breeds? That is really odd about the ads for Arabs tending to hide their legs, I would think that breed would want to show legs!

Oooh oooh Jim...could it really be as simple as that, set it to high-speed synch and go to it? LOL I hope so! I started through the manual a couple of times but got mucked down in it and suddenly working on a tedious computer project seemed a lot more fun than wading through that manual. I'm guessing you have to shoot manual with the flash? I tried it once a long time ago and my shots all came out almost pure white they were so bright, I am thinking I was not shooting manual. If you can straighten me out on this flash I may have to hire you to teach me how to use the sekonic flash meter!

Ah OK Buddy I know what you mean now. I'd love a link to more details if you happen to find one, thanks. Yeah isn't that a nice combo!! The MKII has saved my bum many times, turn and shoot and there it is! I really love the 300 2.8 and the 200 1.8 but can't beat the 70-200 for hand holdability and it's a nice sharp lens. I'd say I use that one more than any of the others I have. I really would love a MKIII, a friend of mine has it and her images just jump right off the screen, there is a definite creaminess to them. Really nice. We went to a horse race and shot side by side, same lenses, me with my MKII and she with her MKIII to compare and although the MKII does an awesome job too, you could tell the difference with the MKIII images. (not enough that I am going to trade in my MKII for one yet though. But I can dream!)

My Web Site www.deedeemurry.com
Re: Andalusian Stallion [Re: Dee Dee] #10272
09/07/07 07:56 AM
09/07/07 07:56 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Dee Dee,
I shoot with the 580 in Program, Av, Tv and Manual modes. Instead of trying to understand how it does it, just put it on the camera, set it to ETTL and put the camera in Program mode and give it a try. If you like what you see from that combination, try it in the other modes. Again, outside you're just using it for fill so at high-speed synch, it'll give you better shadows and a bit of catch-light for the eyes. Believe me, the flash is smarter than both of us .

Jim

Last edited by jimgarvie; 09/07/07 08:20 AM.

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Andalusian Stallion [Re: Jim Garvie] #10273
09/07/07 10:09 AM
09/07/07 10:09 AM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline
Veteran
D

Alaska
Quote:

Believe me, the flash is smarter than both of us .

Jim

Remember when we needed a tape measure and a slide rule to work out the flash settings?

For the young at heart, "slide rule" = pre-calculator.

David Ramey Photography
Re: Andalusian Stallion [Re: Dee Dee] #10274
09/09/07 11:32 PM
09/09/07 11:32 PM
Colorado, USA
B
Buddy Thomason Offline
Traveler
Buddy Thomason  Offline
Traveler
B

Colorado, USA
Quote:

I'd love a link to more details if you happen to find one

Re Canon Custom function 4 - * focus button
Here is one of several useful discussions on this topic:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28314

Re: Andalusian Stallion [Re: Buddy Thomason] #10275
09/10/07 03:14 AM
09/10/07 03:14 AM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline OP
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Washington
I will do that Jim! Thanks! My MKII doesn't have program mode but I can try it in manual.

LOL David, I think I would have given up if there were that much math involved! I see you are able to at least hunt and peck on the keyboard with one hand, how is the healing going?

Thanks so much for the link Buddy! I appreciate that, I really do need to learn about all the parts of the camera that I don't normally use.

Re: Andalusian Stallion [Re: Dee Dee] #10276
09/11/07 06:12 PM
09/11/07 06:12 PM
Colorado
MartaA Offline
Journeyman
MartaA  Offline
Journeyman

Colorado
Again, AWESOME shots!
Yeah, so..highlights blow outs...we all get to learn, from reading the other's inputs!
My favorite is #7!
How many "miles" do you log, chasing around after a snorty stallion?

Re: Andalusian Stallion [Re: MartaA] #10277
09/12/07 12:00 AM
09/12/07 12:00 AM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline OP
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Washington
Thanks Marta, I was real nervous shooting this one, never sure if the exposure was going to work. Good learning experience though! The woman who owns the place graciously offered it up for shoots with other horses, one being some Friesians I am worried though about black horses in the shade....

I am afraid of noise LOL.

Adrenaline goes a long way in helping keep you running during a shoot like this lol. I think though the handlers get more of a work out than I do.

Re: Andalusian Stallion [Re: Dee Dee] #10278
09/17/07 12:11 PM
09/17/07 12:11 PM
Colorado
MartaA Offline
Journeyman
MartaA  Offline
Journeyman

Colorado
How neat to have a nice farm, to shoot at.
I've not really tried our new place with the horses yet, but dogs wise, it works well!
Missing my 40 acres....but, I suppose, my neighbors up there, would let me use theirs...in exchange for some hot shots!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 485 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer