The Netherlands
T
Trees Offline OP
Wanderer
Trees  Offline OP
Wanderer
T

The Netherlands
After seeing pics of the Jasper and Banff national parcs in Canada, I decided to go there myself on a short holiday trip next year. Timing though seems difficult. Here are my considerations: April: can be very cold (I'm no hero to spend days in the cold), May: only possible after 22nd (due to friends marriage and important family stuff), June: bears are in their agressive mode when they are with young. I will go on my own and although I had some serious training in fighting techniques, I don't think that will be enough against bears. ;-) July: high season for tourism. I don't quite like that.
Any advice on the best time to go inbetween April and high summer or maybe is my information incorrect on the bears or temperature?

Thanks in advance.

Trees
The Netherlands

Re: Advice needed on a trip to Alberta [Re: Trees] #1124
11/30/05 03:31 AM
11/30/05 03:31 AM
D
Dave Offline
Wanderer
Dave  Offline
Wanderer
D

Don't expect to see a lot of bears, unless you want to and know where they are. After thousands of days in the Alberta wilderness I have had only a few face-to-face bear encounters on hiking trails. If you want to see bears go to Waterton. Although there are bears in Banff park they are rarely seen. I've seen black bears in Jasper park, usually from the road. It would be typical that you would spend your entire holiday and not see a bear. Don't be disappointed. I've had only one face to face encounter with (two) grizzly bears on the trail, over a lifetime living in Alberta. Never anything violent, but I do carry bear spray, which you could buy when you arrive (you're not supposed to carry aerosol sprays on a plane). Don't time your holiday based on bear activity, as from a human perspective there is little difference.
The best photo time to visit may be the early fall, as the Larch (tamarak) trees are dropping their orange needles. Weather wise, if you are tenting, you want to come in August or early September. The latter is dramatically less crowded as the kids are back in school. Anything before May is cold, and many mountain passes cannot be hiked until after late July because of snow pack. September is cold, but from a photo-op perspective you will have light snow dusting mountains and changing colors in the trees.

Re: Advice needed on a trip to Alberta [Re: Dave] #1125
12/01/05 03:11 PM
12/01/05 03:11 PM
The Netherlands
T
Trees Offline OP
Wanderer
Trees  Offline OP
Wanderer
T

The Netherlands
Thanks for your reply, Dave. I understand now that the chances of meeting the big bears are small, so on one hand that's a pity, on the other hand a relief. The main thing for me is go out and enjoy the impressive, and for someone from a flat and overcrowded country, the overwhelming nature. I will certainly buy some bearspray, for a safety feeling at least.

Due to circumstances I had to book now and it will be mid June. I can't wait but I have to!

Thanks again for your reply.

Trees

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 350 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer