Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline OP
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Washington
I was shooting stuff for work...but there was Hallie...and there were Christmas decorations...so whut was I supposed to do!

She was exceptionally silly today. She had me flat on the floor laughing several times. She started out all serious and ready to pose.

Then, for the first time since I got her over 6 years ago, she went into a play bow and BARKED at me! LOL!! I could barely take the shots I was laughing so hard. Not even sure just what it was she was telling me, she's not a big barker, but she sure had a story and she thought she was as funny as I did.

She had to show off her matching bow and ornament...

Then fun with the big red balls! We were cracking each other up with these. We have the same sense of humor. Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE this girl?

Critiques welcome! I do have a question, any suggestions on how to take a more pleasing shot of the shiney balls? I took several of ornaments today for other things and of course they mirror everything in the room. I tried using just one strobe and pointed it away from the scene and into a reflector but it didn't look much better in the ball and I couldn't light up Hallie or the background well.

My Web Site www.deedeemurry.com
Re: Hallie Balls [Re: Dee Dee] #12021
12/12/07 07:09 AM
12/12/07 07:09 AM
Pennsylvania, USA
salden Offline
Tracker
salden  Offline
Tracker

Pennsylvania, USA
She is beautiful. I certainly can see her personality in these images. As for the red balls.. they seem to have a "smiley" face in them, which I think works for these images..LOL

Have you tried to "flag" the light? that way you could put the light where you wanted it. That might help cut down on the glare.

Sue Alden Pennsylvania
Re: Hallie Balls [Re: salden] #12022
12/12/07 08:55 AM
12/12/07 08:55 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I would say the only way around that would be to use non reflective balls like the one with the glitter. If they are exposed correctly, they are going to reflect.

The photos are adorable as always!!!

Re: Hallie Balls [Re: Dee Dee] #12023
12/12/07 09:05 AM
12/12/07 09:05 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Dee Dee,
great photos!!! Hallie's a ham and you're amazing as always. The Xmas balls are great. For less reflection, you need to find the oversized ones that are satin-covered.

Linda is already looking for some for our Sundance Xmas shoot. I'll share if they end up being ready for "prime time".

Great job and great fun.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Hallie Balls [Re: Jim Garvie] #12024
12/12/07 10:40 AM
12/12/07 10:40 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
nice shots DD, if I were you I would buy the book, "light science and magic."

It is a great book about light and how light works with excellent examples of how and what to consider when photographing reflective materials.

I always wanted to get into using better, the "family of angles," reflection, direct reflection, diffuse reflection, Gobo's and black cards, secondary reflection and additional diffusion materials. One can get carried away with all this but what little i have done with reflection and diffusion using Gobo's and extra diffusion materials was very fun!!!

I like the flat lighting too, a little more shadow might be interesting too. Just a comments, not a critique. the shots are nice, i just like to see more some shadow for depth in the face etc. . .

Last edited by FinalShot; 12/12/07 10:44 AM.
Re: Hallie Balls [Re: Tony Bynum] #12025
12/12/07 06:39 PM
12/12/07 06:39 PM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline OP
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Washington
Thanks for the tips (and Hallie compliments! ) I am hitting myself in the forehead here Tony. I did buy that book back when you first recommended it. I read it through at the time and didn't even think to bring it out for this. Although I do realize now that some of the things I tried to help the reflection here, were things I got from that book and must have stored in my memory banks. Good point about the shadows too, I agree, I'm usually not a huge fan of flat lighting, I like more dramatic and side lighting too. Will have to play some more!

Thanks Jim, would love to see your shots when you get them! Black dogs are a different challenge aren't they. Fun though! Ahh...sure! Frosted ornaments! After I read this I went to a stock sight to see their ornaments and sure enough each one of them are frosted! D'oh!! Anyone want to buy some nice really shiny ornaments? Cheeep??

Thanks Julie yep I see you are right about that now. I should have figured that one out on my own.

LOL Sue!! I see them now..the smily faces. In fact that's ALL I see now. LOL! I make the nose...too funny. By flagging do you mean using barn doors or a grid or something?

Re: Hallie Balls [Re: Dee Dee] #12026
12/13/07 08:56 AM
12/13/07 08:56 AM
Pennsylvania, USA
salden Offline
Tracker
salden  Offline
Tracker

Pennsylvania, USA
DeeDee

Flags can be matt board, etc (black). You use them to direct the light from your strobe to where you want it. Good for blacking out the background or putting light in dark area that you want to bring out or vice versa.

Sue Alden Pennsylvania
Re: Hallie Balls [Re: salden] #12027
12/13/07 04:36 PM
12/13/07 04:36 PM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline OP
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Washington
Oooh this sounds interesting and I'd love to try it but still not quite following you on how it's done. How big of mat board, where/how do you attach it, and how do you black out a background or add light to a dark area, with it exactly?

Re: Hallie Balls [Re: Dee Dee] #12028
12/13/07 05:26 PM
12/13/07 05:26 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
salden Offline
Tracker
salden  Offline
Tracker

Pennsylvania, USA
Take a piece of foam core, or matt board and place it next to your light source (continuous light). Hold the board either to the right or left of your light. You will be able to see where the light is falling on your subject (or where it is blocked) You can also use two boards and place one on each side. BHphoto has flag kits that you can buy, but I found the matt board works just as good. You will need someone to hold it for you unless you buy a flag stand or are close enough to your light source to do it yourself. You can also place the matt board at the bottom and angle up or at the top and angle down depending on your needs.

You can also use reflectors and different colors for different effects, i.e., gold, silver, etc.

Last edited by salden; 12/13/07 05:27 PM.

Sue Alden Pennsylvania
Re: Hallie Balls [Re: salden] #12029
12/14/07 12:01 AM
12/14/07 12:01 AM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline OP
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Washington
Ah OK I'm following you now. I can picture this, I don't have someone to hold for me but I can rig up something. I do have a reflector, white on one side, gold on the other. Thank you so much for this info Sue I'll try it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 545 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer