Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline OP
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Washington
I took some shots of a skinny old horse my friends rescued from our awful flooding recently. His name is Benson and he's really sweet. He is arthritic and skinny but they are working hard to restore him back to health and he seems pretty spunky(in a Mr. Burns kind of way). Since these photos we've brushed him good and he now wears a blanket, he has been vetted, teeth floated, wormed etc and is getting good food but not really gained much weight yet. Hopefully he will with time. He's very sweet and loves the attention he's getting.

http://www.deedeemurry.com/temporaries/benson.htm

My Web Site www.deedeemurry.com
Re: Benson [Re: Dee Dee] #12745
01/23/08 12:13 AM
01/23/08 12:13 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
What a love of an old guy. He looks like a friend's old horse when he started going downhill. He just couldn't hold weight and she was coming three times a day to feed him insane amounts of food. He had that same hair coat and a similar look. It was nothing she did wrong, he was just not able to use that food anymore

Hopefully Benson just has had a hard time with the flood and will blossom this spring!

Re: Benson [Re: Julie] #12746
01/23/08 12:27 AM
01/23/08 12:27 AM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline OP
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Washington
Ahh Poor thing, I wonder too if Benson has something major going on with him. I'm a little worried that after almost 2 months of good care he hasn't put on much weight. I guess it's fairly common for really old horses to have a hard time keeping weight on from the sounds of things. I hope he has at least another summer or more ahead of him.

Re: Benson [Re: Dee Dee] #12747
01/23/08 12:46 AM
01/23/08 12:46 AM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
These images create a big swing in moods. Sadness and joy. I love your images but it breaks my heart to see a horse this thin. There still is such a beauty in his eye. Great job. Was it hard to work with the images?

Peggy Sue
Re: Benson [Re: Peggy Sue] #12748
01/23/08 01:15 AM
01/23/08 01:15 AM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline OP
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Washington
Thanks Peggy Sue! (good to see you here!)

He does have really beautiful eyes doesn't he. The hardest moment I had with him was the first time I saw him. I personally have not seen a horse that thin in real life. But it's a good feeling to be standing there watching him eat his senior mix and be brushing him and know you are helping him. Once I leaned over and was kissing him on the side of his muzzle near his mouth and he pressed his muzzle against my face and held really still, with his ears forward. He's so sweet.

Also he does trot and even canter on his own accord sometimes, although akwardly,(he's arthritic and has one bad leg in particular) when he could walk, so he feels good enough to do that.

And if he catches you hiding a halter behind your back, he can run just fine LOL. We just form a line and slowly move him into a corner somewhere and then he just stops and sighs and gives up, then I can walk up and put the halter on and he comes happily along. He's a smart old guy. When we put the blanket on him, he didn't spook at all and he looked like he was happy to have it. Made me feel good.

Re: Benson [Re: Dee Dee] #12749
01/26/08 06:28 PM
01/26/08 06:28 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hi Dee Dee,

These are wondeful images...and they get better as you go further down the page. I think it is great that you guys have taken this guy into your lives. One thing I don't find these shots to be is saddening. While we all will grow old and infirmed, having the opportunity to do it and be cared for through the process is quite beautiful. While this guy may not have been for prior to being in your home (and that is saddening), I am thankful that this guy will hopefully have the opportunity to move on and do well in his twilight.

Cheers
James

Last edited by James Morrissey; 01/27/08 11:33 AM.
Re: Benson [Re: Dee Dee] #12750
01/27/08 08:53 AM
01/27/08 08:53 AM
Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
PossumCorner Offline
Old hand
PossumCorner  Offline
Old hand

Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
It's lovely Dee Dee that you've given these images the same care that your show horse shots are given. Beautiful work. Poor fellow, he does look like a reason for charging owners with neglect and dropping a huge fine on them. Although as Julie said, it's not fair to pass judgement unless the circumstances are known. We have also just had worst-on-record floods up in Queensland (other end of Australia to me) and many horses have been drowned. Two rivers met and rescue was impossible, it is so sad.

I hope Benson's rug and good food get him through the winter so he can make a fresh start next season.

Re: Benson [Re: Dee Dee] #12751
02/10/08 04:38 PM
02/10/08 04:38 PM
Colorado
MartaA Offline
Journeyman
MartaA  Offline
Journeyman

Colorado
Quote:

He does have really beautiful eyes doesn't he.
Once I leaned over and was kissing him on the side of his muzzle near his mouth and he pressed his muzzle against my face and held really still, with his ears forward. He's so sweet.

Ohhh Dee Dee, his eyes! That was the first thing, they remind me of my Danny's soft sweet eyes..!
And kissing them in that exact spot, I knew exactly what you described.
Sweet ol man...hopefully they are adding some beet pulp pellets(soaked)? That helped us, when our QH dropped some weight, and it being soaked and oatmeal like, it was easy even if they were having a problem chewing(jaw could be misaligned)
Looking forward to his reports!
Awesome portraitures!

Re: Benson [Re: MartaA] #12752
02/11/08 03:06 PM
02/11/08 03:06 PM
Washington
D
Dee Dee Offline OP
Veteran
Dee Dee  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Washington
Thanks you guys, I agree it is really heart warming to help the old guys in need. Benson has been wearing a blanket with a fleece liner underneath and he seems to love it. And yesterday he got a new friend, they brought home a rescued donkey! I don't know how they are getting on yet, they had not let them out together but I hope it will be a good match they will both have good company.

Marta we are thinking of adding beet pulp, that has been suggested by several people as well. They do give him corn oil with his grain although he looked at them like they were crazy. We had the vet out and his mouth and teeth look surprisingly good, the vet floated them anyway. He does eat well, although he does tend to drop some from his mouth at times. But the vet said nothing looked amiss in there.

We took his blanket off to be sure there were no sores and give him a good brushing and I think he's put on a little weight. I keep hearing it takes a long time with an old horse this bad and as Julie said, sometimes there are underlying reasons. But he definitely looks a little more filled out. His coat looks good for his age too. So hopefully he will have a good summer to enjoy!

Re: Benson [Re: Dee Dee] #12753
02/15/08 02:18 PM
02/15/08 02:18 PM
Colorado
MartaA Offline
Journeyman
MartaA  Offline
Journeyman

Colorado
Beet pulp pellets, vs straw, is easier to serve.
Both need a few hours to soak, ratio of 1c to 2.5c(water), depending on how much you add.. Its a give and take process for each horse.

And, did they take a manure sample?
Give him a big hug from me!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 547 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer