upstate NY
G
Guideboat Offline
Wanderer
Guideboat  Offline
Wanderer
G

upstate NY
Marty, I have assembled about 150 various shots of eagles. Here is another, of a few I have posted on my website. Season here is about another month or so, then there are a few permanent residents which remain in the area. http://www.donelmendorf.com/-/donelmendo...amp;searchTerm=

Don

Re: Great Salt Lake on the list [Re: glamson] #12908
02/07/08 10:58 PM
02/07/08 10:58 PM
Eden (no really!)
J
jamesdak Offline
Old hand
jamesdak  Offline
Old hand
J

Eden (no really!)
I've got to back Marty up on the baiting issue there. Where that shot was taken no one in their right mind would be on that ice. There really is not need their anyway with the large numbers on hand. It just becomes a matter of being there at the right time and cooperation by others. It was hard last year for me to get there when there was good light and activity though.

Here's a few from last year also taken with a 30D and a 400/5.6.

Feeding Frenzy!

Yes, he did eat it all!

Two weekends ago:

All in all this is a great place to shoot in winter. I also get a lot of Barn Owls here in the winter. They seem quite curious and frequently do flybys.

Re: Great Salt Lake on the list [Re: jamesdak] #12909
02/09/08 12:45 PM
02/09/08 12:45 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey James,

That first shot of the eagle landing on the fish is just amazing. Really beautiful. This afternoon, Chanthee and I are heading up an hour North to go check out some eagle locations here near the City.

Thanks all for the inspiration. :P

James

Barn Owls [Re: James Morrissey] #12910
02/09/08 03:07 PM
02/09/08 03:07 PM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Marty Everhard Offline OP
Old hand
Marty Everhard  Offline OP
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
Jamesdak, would you post some picts of the owls? I haven't spotted any of them there yet, and if you post a few maybe I'll know what to look for.
Nice job with the 400 f/5.6- that seems like a great lens.
I am going to try to hit Farmington Sunday am at dawn tomorrow. Look for the Silver Fourunner packed with lenses if you are around. They will be gone soon til next year.

Re: Barn Owls [Re: Marty Everhard] #12911
02/09/08 11:08 PM
02/09/08 11:08 PM
Eden (no really!)
J
jamesdak Offline
Old hand
jamesdak  Offline
Old hand
J

Eden (no really!)
Marty,

I've only been out there two mornings this winter but have seen the barn owls both times. The first time it was working the canal right past the tree where all the Eagles hang out. It run the length of the canal, cruise around that hill, and then come back. But I normally see much farther out in the mornings working the west side of the road. Last winter they seemed to be active until around 9:30 but the other day that one was still out at 10:00. I also caught one working the Antelope Island causeway right by the entrance. I'm hoping to get out there tomorrow morning also. I'll be in a silver Grand Caravan.

Here are a couple of shots of the barn owls. The seem the most curious of all the owls I shoot and frequently actually come into me for a flyby. This has happened at Farmington, Antelope and Bear River so I'd consider it a behavioral thing versus a bird that someone may have baited in the past.

These two are from times I was standing in the open and the bird flew in to me:

This one was sitting right by the side of the road, I shot it through the passenger window opening.

Oh, and one Eagle shot from out there yesterday afternoon. They were fairly active but it was grey and overcast. I haven't shot much in the ways of birds this year and I was screwing up the exposures right and left yesterday

I've read that baiting eagles is illegal ..... [Re: Marty Everhard] #12912
02/23/08 12:09 PM
02/23/08 12:09 PM
Mn USA
D
davev Offline
Wanderer
davev  Offline
Wanderer
D

Mn USA
But I can't find anything pointing me to a government site showing me the law.
Can anyone here post a link to it?

In no way do I think that Marty staged these shots.
I've seen eagles scrap in the air to get a fish from another, then drop down to the ice to get their prize.

The only reason I bring this up in this thread is because of the discussion that already took place.

Good shots Marty. To bad the skies didn't help you out a little.

dave
Re: I've read that baiting eagles is illegal ..... [Re: davev] #12913
02/23/08 12:43 PM
02/23/08 12:43 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
I'm not a lawyer. I did study wildlife law in graduate school, but really what that gave me was knowledge about where and how to find information, not really argue legal matters. So, be that as it may, I believe, based on the following description, found in the Bald Eagle Management Guidelines, I could fine it "unlawful" to bait Bald Eagles (see section on disturbances). As the guidance points out, each state has its own rules. That said, there may be special cases where one could argue that "baiting" eagles posses no harm. . . However, if I read the following passage with its intent in mind, I would say that if given the choice, I would NOT bait eagles. A USFW Agent likely would also discourage such activity. Does this mean a judge would fide you guilty of a federal crime if charges were brought; I guess it would depend on the nature of the "bating" and other circumstances.

I also could see how the Migratory Act could be used and there is a potential for a “take” under the MBTA. Under and MBTA, "take" is to “pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap,
capture, possess, or collect.”

The work "take" coupled with "pursue" as in the definition, also has some teeth. I have not ever read any of the case law on this matter, so it may all be moot. . .

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/issues/BaldEagle/NationalBaldEagleManagementGuidelines.pdf

LEGAL PROTECTIONS FOR THE BALD EAGLE
The Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act
The Eagle Act (16 U.S.C. 668-668c), enacted in 1940, and amended several times since
then, prohibits anyone, without a permit issued by the Secretary of the Interior, from
“taking” bald eagles, including their parts, nests, or eggs. The Act provides criminal and
civil penalties for persons who “take, possess, sell, purchase, barter, offer to sell,
purchase or barter, transport, export or import, at any time or any manner, any bald eagle
... [or any golden eagle], alive or dead, or any part, nest, or egg thereof.” The Act defines
“take” as “pursue, shoot, shoot at, poison, wound, kill, capture, trap, collect, molest or
disturb.”

“Disturb’’ means:

"Disturb means to agitate or bother a bald or golden eagle to a degree that
causes, or is likely to cause, based on the best scientific information available,
1) injury to an eagle, 2) a decrease in its productivity, by substantially interfering
with normal breeding, feeding, or sheltering behavior, or 3) nest abandonment,
by substantially interfering with normal breeding, feeding, or sheltering behavior."

In addition to immediate impacts, this definition also covers impacts that result from
human-induced alterations initiated around a previously used nest site during a time when
eagles are not present, if, upon the eagle=s return, such alterations agitate or bother an
eagle to a degree that injures an eagle or substantially interferes with normal breeding,
feeding, or sheltering habits and causes, or is likely to cause, a loss of productivity or nest
abandonment.

National Bald Eagle Management Guidelines May 2007
A violation of the Act can result in a criminal fine of $100,000 ($200,000 for organizations),
imprisonment for one year, or both, for a first offense. Penalties increase substantially for
additional offenses, and a second violation of this Act is a felony.

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act
The MBTA (16 U.S.C. 703-712), prohibits the taking of any migratory bird or any part,
nest, or egg, except as permitted by regulation. The MBTA was enacted in 1918; a 1972
agreement supplementing one of the bilateral treaties underlying the MBTA had the effect
of expanding the scope of the Act to cover bald eagles and other raptors. Implementing
regulations define “take” under the MBTA as “pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap,
capture, possess, or collect.”
Copies of the Eagle Act and the MBTA are available at: http://permits.fws.gov/ltr/ltr.shtml.
State laws and regulations
Most states have their own regulations and/or guidelines for bald eagle management.
Some states may continue to list the bald eagle as endangered, threatened, or of special
concern. If you plan activities that may affect bald eagles, we urge you to familiarize
yourself with the regulations and/or guidelines that apply to bald eagles in your state.
Your adherence to the Guidelines herein does not ensure that you are in compliance with
state laws and regulations because state regulations can be more specific and/or
restrictive than these Guidelines.

A few more [Re: Tony Bynum] #12914
02/23/08 04:32 PM
02/23/08 04:32 PM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Old hand
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
Had some good light!

1/800 iso 400 f/6.3 5D w 500mm f/4

And

1/1600 f/5 iso 400 again 5D w 500mm

and at dawns light

1/1250, f/13 iso 400 5D with 100-400mm @ 370mm

All rights reserved

I am getting fantastic enlargements from these -

Re: A few more [Re: Marty Everhard] #12915
02/24/08 09:58 AM
02/24/08 09:58 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
I'll say, I really like those shots!! I second one is my favorite! The creamy pink mountain background really does it!

Why are you shooting ISO 400 at f13 with 1250th? Are you shooting program mode and just letting the camera derturmine your exposure or what?

Tony

Thank's Tony [Re: Tony Bynum] #12916
02/24/08 05:13 PM
02/24/08 05:13 PM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Old hand
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
I have had a lot of fun with these big birds this year. I probably shot 30 gigs worth this month alone, and "reconissance" before that. I have material to keep me busy for a long time. I get bored if I don't have something to work on in photoshop.
The eagle tree, has to be taken in early morning, or the sun is behind it, nothing but silhouettes. I had wanted an early morning shot of this. I am becoming more and more tuned into the golden light hours.

To answer your question, -I wanted depth of field. (f/13) to cover the varied distances of the birds and as much of the marsh as possible.(iso 400 is as far as I like to push it on these d series unless I have to) Which left me with 1/1250, ok since I was on a tripod with remote shutter release and static target.
I only use aperture priority or auto settings when I walk my dog and I only have one hand! 90% I use manual, I forced myself from the start. Of course, there are other choices. What would you have selected?

This was the same light, a little earlier. Since the plane of focus was flat, I was at f/6.3 1/400 and iso 100. That on the 20D and 500mm f/4. ( Also tripod mounted).

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 477 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer