L
lucy Offline OP
Tracker
lucy  Offline OP
Tracker
L

Kentucky, US
Hi all,

This may not be the right place to ask this question, but I wasn't sure about the Pro forum. I have a garage that I am able to turn part of into a studio. I am wondering if anyone can advise me of the type of lighting, along with a backdrop stand, that would work for a beginner. I have taken shots of my mal outside, but would like to work with him on more posed shots. Plus, it gets awfully chilly outside on some wintery days. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated and if I have posted this in the wrong forum, my apologies. Many thanks. L

Re: Studio lighting [Re: lucy] #13285
02/17/08 12:02 PM
02/17/08 12:02 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Lucy,
I went with the basic Digital Studio setup from Alien Bees which included two B400 strobes, light stands and umbrellas. This makes a great "starter" studio setup which is also very portable if you need to take it outside or to a remote location.

If you check with Adorama, they have a basic backdrop stand with crossbar for around $90. It isn't the most durable backdrop stand in the world but if you don't set it up and take it down a lot (I do), it'll work just fine.

The Alien Bees can be triggered either via pc cord or hotshoe/pc cord or, more conveniently, via a small Morris Wireless Transmitter/Receiver you can get at B&H Photo Video. That's what I use and it works fine in the studio or on location. If you do location shooting and run into radio interference, you can step up to one by either Alien Bees with multiple frequencies or Pocket Wizards which are top of the line (in all respects).

For small spaces, I think the 400s are more than adequate and if you haven't done a lot of strobe photography, using the umbrellas will give you nice, diffused illumination for not a lot of money. As you get more experience, you may want to consider softboxes and Alien Bees have them to fit all of their strobes.

The nice thing about the ABs is that they have variable light output so you can practice different lighting ratios to see what works for you on different subjects.

Good luck,

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Studio lighting [Re: Jim Garvie] #13286
02/17/08 11:52 PM
02/17/08 11:52 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hi Lucy,

Let me second the Alien Bees. The are very affordable and quite compact. There are many other systems you can use though. Adorama, for years, has sold their own house brand that are reputed to be OK. You can also purchase a brand called, "white lightning" which many folks like. If you feel like spending a few more pennies, Photogenics makes some great lights.

James

Re: Studio lighting [Re: James Morrissey] #13287
02/18/08 08:55 AM
02/18/08 08:55 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Lucy,
just a note, the White Lightning brand is the upscale version of Paul C. Buff's offerings the other one being the Alien Bees. They mostly have interchangeable parts too. White Lightning has been a very popular studio strobe brand for a lot of years. Very good products and very reliable. Same with the Bees just at a lower price point.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Studio lighting [Re: Jim Garvie] #13288
02/18/08 09:33 AM
02/18/08 09:33 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I agree with the alien bees. I love mine. I only bought the lights, and then I bought the stands and umbrellas from ebay. Which, worked great. I did buy the foldable softboxes from AB and I LOVE them!!!

Re: Studio lighting [Re: Julie] #13289
02/18/08 10:21 AM
02/18/08 10:21 AM
Kentucky, US
L
lucy Offline OP
Tracker
lucy  Offline OP
Tracker
L

Kentucky, US
Thank you all for the great information. Being a complete novice to studio work, I wasn't sure where to start. I will check out the alien bees and the white lightning. Many thanks. L

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 332 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer