Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Everyone,

As I mentioned in another thread, I will be heading out to Death Valley with my wife for a few days in about two weeks. I started going through some photos from that trip. I was very pleased, for the most part. Here are a bunch that I really enjoyed. BTW, the first was actually taken outside of Death Valley. I have played with the shot a billion times trying to get the desert to look surreal - I keep coming back to the original (admittedly a HDR shot ala Roman's method).

I figured it might be nice to share some photos from that last trip.

James

Re: Death Valley [Re: James Morrissey] #13830
03/14/08 02:11 AM
03/14/08 02:11 AM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline
Veteran
glamson  Offline
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Quote:

Hey Everyone,

As I mentioned in another thread, I will be heading out to Death Valley with my wife for a few days in about two weeks. I started going through some photos from that trip. I was very pleased, for the most part. Here are a bunch that I really enjoyed. BTW, the first was actually taken outside of Death Valley. I have played with the shot a billion times trying to get the desert to look surreal - I keep coming back to the original (admittedly a HDR shot ala Roman's method).

I figured it might be nice to share some photos from that last trip.

James

James,

After seeing your pics last year I made a note that I had to get back to Death Valley this spring. As it turns out, I will be spending a few days there next week. Sounds like there are some wildflowers blooming now but I'm sure it won't be like the bumper crop I saw back in 1983. This will be the first time I've been back with a DSLR and I plan to get lots of pics with my D200 and D300.

I'll be posting some in a week or two.

Geo

Re: Death Valley [Re: glamson] #13831
03/14/08 01:21 PM
03/14/08 01:21 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey George,

Thank you very much. That is very nice. I am very excited about this year's trip. We will only be there for about 4 days, but it is something. Definite musts while I am there:

(1) Zabrisky at Sunrise
(2) The Race Track at Sunset
(3) Sand Dunes at Sunrise

Everything else, I am still trying to figure out. :P I have always wanted to to Rhyolite Ghost Town at sunrise, I think it could potentially be very beautiful. The last two times I have gone to Aguereberry Point, I did them at sunset. I think it might be interesting to try a sunrise there - though I am still of two minds about it. I am also considering how best to do Dante's. I think I prefer sunset their to sunrise...but I would like to do both. I just can not fit it in. :P

LOL, there is just too much to do there in 4 days. For example, I have never gone to Darwin Falls (which I would like to do). I have never done the salt flats at either sunrise or sunset.

This is the article I did last year...so the question is, do the same things and hope to do them better, or try different places?

http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/information/php/2007_Articles/jm/deathValley2.php

Cheers
James

Re: Death Valley [Re: James Morrissey] #13832
03/15/08 12:31 AM
03/15/08 12:31 AM
MA
J
Joe Offline
Tracker
Joe  Offline
Tracker
J

MA
Hi James,

Sounds like you are going to have one heck of a time packing 8 days of stuff into 4 days .

You were wondering about Dante's - sunrise or sunset. I made this photograph from Dante's last July at sunrise. I got up early enough to make it to the top before the sun broke the horizon so that I could scout around for a good location. I was the only one up there for quite a while so the only sounds I was hearing were from the very warm breezes that were blowing. Talk about peaceful. I never made it back for sunset so I don't know how crowded it would have been at that time.

Enjoy your trip to DV. I hope to make it back there in the not too distant future.

Joe
Re: Death Valley [Re: Joe] #13833
03/17/08 08:52 AM
03/17/08 08:52 AM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Joe,

Beautiful shot - reallyy it is quite nice. Where were you shooting this from on the peak? The area is quite large and I am having a hard time placing it in my mind.

On another note, has anyone ever been to Darwin's Falls, in Panamint (South of Stovepipe)?

James

Re: Death Valley [Re: James Morrissey] #13834
03/17/08 10:18 PM
03/17/08 10:18 PM
MA
J
Joe Offline
Tracker
Joe  Offline
Tracker
J

MA
James,

There is a path across the top of a ridge that starts at the southwest corner of the parking lot up there. I walked out on the path for 5 minutes or so to an area just passed a sign and turned right - looking to the north. It really is a beautiful place. Watching the sun break the horizon and light up the mountain range was almost magical.

Joe
Re: Death Valley [Re: Joe] #13835
03/19/08 12:06 AM
03/19/08 12:06 AM
St. Louis and Santa Fe
D
DavidL Offline
Wanderer
DavidL  Offline
Wanderer
D

St. Louis and Santa Fe
James,

I like Dante's at dawn. If you want particulars, see my Death Valley gallery, pix # 5,6 & 7. http://homepage.mac.com/jdavidlevy/JDLSite/Death/

Re: Death Valley [Re: DavidL] #13836
03/20/08 05:07 PM
03/20/08 05:07 PM
I
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Everyone,

Welp, it is almost time. I am going to be flying out tomorrow to Las Angeles (7:30 AM...yuck). Hopefully I will have some solid photos to share afterwards...or even during assuming there is a decent internet connection. :P

James

Re: Death Valley [Re: James Morrissey] #13837
03/22/08 07:56 PM
03/22/08 07:56 PM
Ontario Canada
JimmyD Offline
Tracker
JimmyD  Offline
Tracker

Ontario Canada
James

Good luck on your adventure.I just returned a week ago and got a few decent images.

Jim Davis Spiorad an Dúlra http://jimmy-d.smugmug.com
Re: Death Valley [Re: James Morrissey] #13838
03/23/08 07:45 PM
03/23/08 07:45 PM
NY USA
Jim Rickards Offline
Journeyman
Jim Rickards  Offline
Journeyman

NY USA
Hey James - We'll be looking forward to a few fine shots. Have a good trip home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 349 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer