03/26/08 03:19 PM
03/26/08 03:19 PM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline OP
Veteran
glamson  Offline OP
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Well after two years of living in my home in Carlsbad, I finally started putting up the home gallery I've been dreaming of. I have an Epson 4800 printer that lets me print my panoramas up to 16"x59" and of course the standard 16"x20" prints. As I've mentioned before, I've also become a bit of a framing expert because I'm too cheap to pay the rather high prices for the non-standard panorama frame sizes. I have to say it's been a real learning experience for me, but a lot of fun too.

The pic below is a stitched panorama of my stairway gallery. Sorry for some of the distortions caused by the stitching, but I was shooting pretty wide to get the whole thing in. While I am kinda shamelessly showing off my work here, I'm also interested in seeing what some of you have done around your homes, if you don't mind sharing.

BTW those are my goldies Calla and Maggie who can never resist being in a photo.

Geo

Re: Home gallery - let's see yours [Re: glamson] #14134
03/26/08 06:26 PM
03/26/08 06:26 PM
Nashville Tennessee
Durwood Edwards Offline
Old hand
Durwood Edwards  Offline
Old hand

Nashville Tennessee
Sorry about your stressed out dog!
Great looking gallery.

Durwood Edwards
www.joelton.org

"Never miss a good chance to shut-up!" - Will Rogers
Re: Home gallery - let's see yours [Re: Durwood Edwards] #14135
03/26/08 06:49 PM
03/26/08 06:49 PM
NY USA
Jim Rickards Offline
Journeyman
Jim Rickards  Offline
Journeyman

NY USA
Looking very nice indeed! Why that heron on the right seems to almost jump off the wall!
Seriously, it looks quite good. I have to get on to hanging my stuff, and learning how to frame stuff too.

Re: Home gallery - let's see yours [Re: Jim Rickards] #14136
03/28/08 01:33 PM
03/28/08 01:33 PM
Nashville Tennessee
Durwood Edwards Offline
Old hand
Durwood Edwards  Offline
Old hand

Nashville Tennessee
If I master mounting and framing, the money I save can go to help pay for the extra ink I will consume by printing more.

Durwood Edwards
www.joelton.org

"Never miss a good chance to shut-up!" - Will Rogers
Re: Home gallery - let's see yours [Re: Durwood Edwards] #14137
03/29/08 09:00 AM
03/29/08 09:00 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
looks great. and you have a beautiful home as well!

While matting and framing are a matter of preference there are a few standards that I think should be followed.

I'm not an "expert," but I believe that the mats should have identical widths on the top, left, and right sides, the bottom could be slightly longer, but the sides should normally not be more narrow, or wider than the top or the bottom.

The shot of the bighorn, and a few others on the right wall seem to have variable mat widths, from side to side and top to bottom. The top, left, and right sides should all match one another, the bottom can and often should be wider.

I wish i had your space and motivation to hang my stuff up. . .

Tony

Re: Home gallery - let's see yours [Re: Tony Bynum] #14138
03/29/08 10:08 AM
03/29/08 10:08 AM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline OP
Veteran
glamson  Offline OP
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Quote:

looks great. and you have a beautiful home as well!

While matting and framing are a matter of preference there are a few standards that I think should be followed.

I'm not an "expert," but I believe that the mats should have identical widths on the top, left, and right sides, the bottom could be slightly longer, but the sides should normally not be more narrow, or wider than the top or the bottom.

The shot of the bighorn, and a few others on the right wall seem to have variable mat widths, from side to side and top to bottom. The top, left, and right sides should all match one another, the bottom can and often should be wider.

I wish i had your space and motivation to hang my stuff up. . .

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for the feedback.

Ah the matting question. Seems like everyone has their opinions on it. This is one of the real bugaboos when you get to cropping and framing a print. Now in a perfect world I would crop the print according to what I think is the best composition. Then I would matte as you describe with equal widths right, top and left and then make the bottom slightly wider. Then I would make a custom frame (read expensive) to fit the final matte dimensions. This is what I do for the panoramas.

Unfortunately, in my financially limited world, I go to Aaron brothers and buy standard 16x20 frames when I get a good sale price. That means the final dimensions are set. Now the question is do you crop the print for composition or to fit into a equal width 16x20 matte? My choice is to still crop for composition and let the matte compensate for the difference in aspect ratio between the cropped print and standard frame.

As usual, life is a series of compromises and you just have to hope you choose the right ones.

Geo

Re: Home gallery - let's see yours [Re: glamson] #14139
03/29/08 10:33 AM
03/29/08 10:33 AM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
I love this thread, since it brings up so many questions. About the matting. I agree with Tony on the matting. If you do not value your work enough to show it off in the best light, than who will? It is like me trying to put my feet in a smaller size shoe just because it is on sale. It still hurts!

I understand the framing issue. And so do my clients. What I feel is sometimes a better solution while still using ready made frames, is to print smaller and matt larger.

I have been wanting to add to this link but I am cleaning up the studio first. I went to shoot it and realized it needs a spring ( okay, not because of spring) makeover. But you bring up the point of home galleries and that is what is very interesting to me. What we hang in our home and what we show in our studio space. If you are lucky enough to have a separate space for shooting then of course putting other peoples stuff in it would not make much sense. But what do we as artists live with in our own environment?

I have always preferred to have other artists works in my space. But the older I get and liking a few more of my animals images around, that has changed slightly. It is a balance for me on my ego. I want other peoples works to inspire me. And of course when they are friends, having their work around is very special.

So, I would like to know what type of work hangs in your private spaces of your homes?

Peggy Sue
Re: Home gallery - let's see yours [Re: Peggy Sue] #14140
03/29/08 11:39 AM
03/29/08 11:39 AM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline OP
Veteran
glamson  Offline OP
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Quote:

I love this thread, since it brings up so many questions. About the matting. I agree with Tony on the matting. If you do not value your work enough to show it off in the best light, than who will? It is like me trying to put my feet in a smaller size shoe just because it is on sale. It still hurts!

Ooo! Now that hurts. I'm counting to 10 here to calm myself down.

Ok, 10. I appreciate that everyone has an opinion. What I don't appreciate is when that opinion somehow diminishes someone else's. While I was pointing out some of the practicalities in framing and matting, I should also have added that I really have no problem with uneven matte widths. As a matter of fact I really think that one of the functions of matting is to do exactly what I have done here. As far as making the mattes larger, I totally disagree. My photography is about the image, not large expanses of blank space.

But to tell me that "If you do not value your work enough to show it off in the best light, than who will?" I think is condescending to say the least. You may think I'm over reacting here, but if you knew how much time, work, money and heart went into doing this project then you might understand just how much I "value" my work. I guess one of the nicest things about my own gallery is that I'm the only one who has to worry about showing my work in it's "best light".

Re: Home gallery - let's see yours [Re: glamson] #14141
03/29/08 12:27 PM
03/29/08 12:27 PM
Illinois
Peggy Sue Offline
Pooh-Bah
Peggy Sue  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Illinois
George, I am sorry you took my comments in a very negative way. They were mentioned to help, not make you upset. I understand your reaction and I apologize if it came across incorrectly. My intent was to help. Your work is beautiful and museum mounting in my opinion would only enhance the images.

Peggy Sue
Re: Home gallery - let's see yours [Re: Peggy Sue] #14142
03/29/08 01:07 PM
03/29/08 01:07 PM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline OP
Veteran
glamson  Offline OP
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Quote:

George, I am sorry you took my comments in a very negative way. They were mentioned to help, not make you upset. I understand your reaction and I apologize if it came across incorrectly. My intent was to help. Your work is beautiful and museum mounting in my opinion would only enhance the images.

Peggysue,

I know that your intentions were to be helpful and I have always appreciated your comments in the past. This is not a case of me not being able to take constructive criticism. I have no illusions about my work and I certainly don't think it is above criticism. As a matter of fact I welcome constructive criticism of my work.

What this was about for me was the question of whether I value my work. I would love to be able to shoot with a D3 instead of D300, print my work on the finest photo papers with the best printer and mount them using the best materials. Unfortunately as I said, I have had to make compromises all along the line in my photography (primarily for financial reasons). I like to think I've made the right ones that allow me to get the most value from my photography. The fact that I have had to compromise though does not mean that I don't value my work. I know you didn't really mean any disrespect and I guess we all have to consider carefully what and how we say things about others. It is the consideration of others at this site that makes me frequent it.

Nuff said!

Geo

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 432 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer