05/12/08 09:52 AM
05/12/08 09:52 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline OP
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline OP
Addict

Virginia, USA
I haven't yet, but I'm going to try to get a copy. (Do bookstores keep back issues?)

Anyway, this brings me a mini-dilemma. The photo was used without my knowledge, yet it was a photo that I had taken for a charity (dog rescue) group. I figure the photo is donated and I don't event consider compensation for it.

I would, however, like to have some say in the processing (I could have supplied the RAW or a hi-res version) and hope that I got a photo credit. We'll see.

I don't want to come across the wrong way and "demand" that they come to me for such use in the future, but I am thinking about "offering" to "provide Hi-res files, properly converted to B&W etc in the future. This will allow for presenting the dogs in the best possible light . . . "

Do you all think that is a good way to handle it?

The sad thing is that the photo was used in a "Precious Pets" add for Murphy http://www.pbase.com/jimpoor/image/96457877 who has since been de-listed from adoption availability because she is in end stage kidney failure.

I'm thinking of doing something with the pictures I supplied to the group as well as some of the others as a sort of tribute.

Re: Anyone see my photo in the 5/8 Washington Post [Re: Jim Poor] #15204
05/12/08 02:12 PM
05/12/08 02:12 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Jim,

That's a conundrum, isn't it? Since you don't want money for the photo, I think it would certainly be appropriate to speak with the folks to whom you donated the file to let them know what you feel. My guess is that they saw the file as 'donated' and did not think twice about it.

"I don't want to come across the wrong way and "demand" that they come to me for such use in the future, but I am thinking about "offering" to "provide Hi-res files, properly converted to B&W etc in the future. This will allow for presenting the dogs in the best possible light . . . "

That's not a bad idea, actually.

James

Re: Anyone see my photo in the 5/8 Washington Post [Re: James Morrissey] #15205
05/13/08 03:31 PM
05/13/08 03:31 PM
NW Scania, Southern Sweden
Grey_Wolf Offline
Wanderer
Grey_Wolf  Offline
Wanderer

NW Scania, Southern Sweden
Very nice shot, Jim!:)

The Wolf Is My Totem
Re: Anyone see my photo in the 5/8 Washington Post [Re: Grey_Wolf] #15206
05/13/08 04:04 PM
05/13/08 04:04 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline OP
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline OP
Addict

Virginia, USA
James,
Yeah, a bit of a pickle, but nothing major. I just don't want someone "processing" the image and messing it up and then folks see it and think I did it.

G_W,

You saw it in the paper or at the link?

I still haven't gotten a copy. I guess I have to go do DC to the office to get a back issue that is less than 30 days old.

Re: Anyone see my photo in the 5/8 Washington Post [Re: James Morrissey] #15207
05/15/08 09:20 AM
05/15/08 09:20 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline OP
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline OP
Addict

Virginia, USA
Thanks everyone.

Quote:

Hey Jim,

That's a conundrum, isn't it? Since you don't want money for the photo, I think it would certainly be appropriate to speak with the folks to whom you donated the file to let them know what you feel. My guess is that they saw the file as 'donated' and did not think twice about it.

"I don't want to come across the wrong way and "demand" that they come to me for such use in the future, but I am thinking about "offering" to "provide Hi-res files, properly converted to B&W etc in the future. This will allow for presenting the dogs in the best possible light . . . "

That's not a bad idea, actually.

James

I actually sent the E-mail, and things worked out just fine (though I have yet to see the Post article).

From now on, if they get requests for photos for use in hard copy media, they will refer them to me for the original files.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 477 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer