Canada
D
Duane Offline OP
Journeyman
Duane  Offline OP
Journeyman
D

Canada
OK, I don't want this to become a "which manufacturer is better" thread.

I'm pre-purchase right now on a dslr, so I'm hoping for some actual fact-finding.

I thought I had decided to simply buy a Nikon D50 and that was that. Now I'm researching the Olympus E500.

Quite honestly, I think all of the dslr's on the market are capable of taking outstanding shots given a decent lens and user skill.

I know from my film days that different film manufacturers skewed towards different tones with their films, and I think the camera manufacturers all strive for certain "traits" with their units as well.

Having seen some really great shots in here, I'm curious to know what folks are shooting and why they chose it. It could simply be you already had the lenses for that brand, but myself, and others, could well learn from your experiences on equipment.

Sharing this info and your experiences could help someone like myself make the right choice based on real-world info. It's easy to buy something based on tech specs, but sometimes those specs don't tell the whole story.

My blog book is at my Online Marketing blog.
Re: We've seen GREAT shots, but what gear do you u [Re: Duane] #1552
01/09/06 11:34 AM
01/09/06 11:34 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Duane,
I shoot Canon because when we started the Show Photography business 4 years ago, the D30 was the only affordable alternative (we purchased 3 complete set-ups). I shoot everything hand-held and must be able to both hold the camera steady and toss a toy to get the dog's head position correct and their attention. That requires a camera that is lightweight even with a battery pack and flash attached.

Having said that, here's my gear:
1. Rebel XT. It's light. It's easy to use. It has great image quality. I evolved from the D30 to a 10D and now the XT. Why not the 20D? Because the XT produces identical image quality with less weight and much lower price. The 10D is my backup camera.

2. Canon 17-40mm F4L lens. My primary show lens. It's pretty sharp for a zoom.

3. Canon 50mm F1.8 lens. It's cheap and very, very sharp. This is my "portrait" lens.

4. Sigma 28-70mm F2.8 EX APO. Convenient focal length and fast. Pretty sharp at F8-F11.

5. Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX HSM APO. Fast, sharp and good reach for action shooting.

6. Canon 580 EX Speedlight. Use it for shooting formals of dogs in the ring or for outdoor shows. Use it with external battery pack.

7. Alien Bees 400 monolights. Use them for "podium" formals at Specialties or for Group and BIS shots at All Breed Shows. I use a studio setup and trigger them with a Morris wireless controller. This means backdrops, backdrop stands, light stands, umbrellas and tons of cords.

This setup has evolved along with my shooting style. I've used a tripod but found that I just couldn't catch the subtle changes in head angle or body position as well as hand-held. Plus, I like a lower shooting angle (I shoot on the ground). Of course, this has forced me to become pretty adept at shooting right-handed while tossing toys with my left but I've worked out the mechanics

Hope that information is useful. Remember, it ain't the gear; it's the photographer. Every manufacturer makes exellent cameras. Over the years, I've used Nikon, Leica, Hasselblad and Sinar. My investment in Canon came about because they had the best camera available when we started and now I'm embedded in lenses and other equipment. And, frankly, their gear is very good. But you'll do very well with gear from any of the major manufacturers.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: We've seen GREAT shots, but what gear do you u [Re: Jim Garvie] #1553
01/09/06 11:49 AM
01/09/06 11:49 AM
Canada
D
Duane Offline OP
Journeyman
Duane  Offline OP
Journeyman
D

Canada
Jim this is EXACTLY the type of info I had hoped would be posted - thanks!

I', a big Canon fan, having used their stuff for years. The only things swaying me against the Rebel XT are as follows:

~ Physically the size doesn't fit my large hands well - it's OK, but doesn't have nearly the "feel" of the D50, etc.
~ Back in my film days the Rebel was a very cheap SLR...didn't care for it then, and I suspect the name is a challenge for me...not that this is a valid reason to not like the camera...just a mental block of my own

Having the list of studio-type gear you use and the reasons for using what you do (and when you use it) is simply great. I've often thought about building such a setup, for similar usage...and now I know what generally works in which circumstances.

Thanks again Jim.

My blog book is at my Online Marketing blog.
Re: We've seen GREAT shots, but what gear do you u [Re: Duane] #1554
01/09/06 02:13 PM
01/09/06 02:13 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Duane,
the XT did seem small when I first picked it up but with the battery grip on, it's perfect for my hands. Workmanship is much improved over the Digital Rebel. My approach to tools is if they meet my needs and don't get in the way of my creativity then they're fine. I don't get all hung up on equipment "bragging rights".

Good luck,

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: We've seen GREAT shots, but what gear do you u [Re: Jim Garvie] #1555
01/09/06 02:23 PM
01/09/06 02:23 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hi Duane,

I am a Canon owner as well. I started off with Olympus and jumped ship when the Canon EOS d30 came out. I was not satisfied with the image output of the E-10, though I LOVED the build quality and ergonomics of the camera. Iwas shooting weddings and needed the flexibility - the Nikon D1 was still 4995 and I could not afford that...and I did not like the feel of the Fuji S1 (the other alternative) though the image quality was excellent. As I was shooting weddings, I needed a camera that could keep up with me. The big problem the d30 and d60 had was poor AF and I was more than happy to jump to the 10d when it came out.

I currently am using two EOS 20ds and am about to make a decision as to whether or not to purchase a 5d. I like the size and feel of the 20d/5d over the larger 1 series cameras.

In addition to the camera itself, I also own:

(1) Canon 28-70L (purchased the month prior to the announcement of the 24-70L).
(2) Canon 16-35 F2.8 (My second lens during a wedding shoot)
(3) Canon 70-200 F2.8 - my primary wildlife lens with 1.4 and 2x converters as well as my close-up lens for weddings.
(4) Canon 10-22 EF-s lens - my ultra-wide angle lens. I still have a love hate relationship and will be interested in comparing it to the 16-35.
(5) Canon 50mm F1.8 - my favorite 70 dollar lens.
(6) Canon 28-135 IS - Back-up lens to my 28-70 during events.

That is about all...I think. LOL.

-JM

Re: We've seen GREAT shots, but what gear do you u [Re: James Morrissey] #1556
01/09/06 03:48 PM
01/09/06 03:48 PM
Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline
Veteran
D

Alaska
I use Nikon equipment. Currently I have
(2) D70 Bodies
18-70mmf/3.5-4.5 lens
80-200mm/f2.8 lens
300mmf/4 lens
1.4x teleconverter
28mmf/2 Used only at infinity focus and f/2 for Northern Lights photography
50mmf/1.8
Bogen 3221 tripod
macro focusing rail
panorama head
ball head
quick release plates on everything
(2)SB800 Flash
(2) flash brackets
White lightning strobes X2400
4 light stands
2 background stands
4 backgrounds
1 notebook
1 "processing" computer
4 viewing stations
honda generator
Kodak dye sub printer
HP large format printer
HP color laser printer
and a room full of "extra" stuff

Last edited by DavidRamey; 01/09/06 03:49 PM.

David Ramey Photography
Re: We've seen GREAT shots, but what gear do you u [Re: DavidRamey] #1557
01/09/06 04:12 PM
01/09/06 04:12 PM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I use an Olympus E-1 and I have to say I really like it. For the dusty dirty areas I shoot in, the weather sealing and dustbuster really works. I am a klutz and I promise, me cleaning a sensor would spell disaster. After 10k shots, many in a very very dusty barn, I don't have dust on my sensor(I check with F22 sky shots)

I really wanted the weather sealing but couldn't justify/afford/carry the Pro series Nikon/Canon cameras

I love the Zuiko glass. I will probably buy the next E-X after it comes out. I do hope to see improved AF and High ISO performance. Canon smokes Oly there. Those are rarely issues for me. But, it would be nice to have it

Re: We've seen GREAT shots, but what gear do you u [Re: Julie] #1558
01/09/06 05:45 PM
01/09/06 05:45 PM
Cocoa, Florida
G
gale_1 Offline
Tracker
gale_1  Offline
Tracker
G

Cocoa, Florida
Nikon Gal Here !!!!! )

Shot with a Nikon D100 for two years. I somehow got into bird photography. First thing needed was longer glass. Being a novice (still am) I got an 80-400 VR.. Well that was great... Wow 400mm... Then the TC 1.4 to go with it.
Well as it turned out, much frustration with action and flying birds. The 400 would not keep up and lock focus fast enough. I almost gave up photography all together. Well almost.
One more try.. Could not afford to do this !!!!

I got a Nikon D200

Put the 80-400 VR on it and said, well ok Gal lets go for it.

Anddddddd !!!!!!!!!

http://www.pbase.com/techwish/image/54372071

This is what happened.
I can not say enough good things about this camera. It is now my new machine gun. Loaded with an 80-400 VR :>))))))

Hope you enjoy my silly little story..

Best Regards
Re: We've seen GREAT shots, but what gear do you use? [Re: Duane] #1559
01/09/06 09:59 PM
01/09/06 09:59 PM
Tennessee, USA
RichardR Offline
Journeyman
RichardR  Offline
Journeyman

Tennessee, USA
Hi, Duane,

I've been using a Nikon D70 for the past 1-1/2 years and thoroughly enjoy it. I spent a lot of time researching the various DSLRs and finally settled on Nikon primarily because of the lens choices and also liked the way the Nikon felt in the hand.

I shoot most anything but primarily enjoy getting out in the mountains for wildlife where I get to see stuff like this:

I agree with your statement that most of the DSLRs are capable of outstanding images with good lenses and a knowledgeable shooter.

I currently have the following equipment for my D70:

Nikon 70-200 VR
Nikon 80-200 f2.8
Nikon 18-70 DX
Tamron 90 f2.8 Macro
Nikon 70-300 D....rarely use anymore since the two better
telephotos came along.
Nikon 1.7x 17E teleconverter
Tamron 1.4x SP AF teleconverter
Various UV and Circular Polarizer filters
Nikon SB-600 Flash
Stroboframe flip flash bracket
Feisol 3301N Carbon Fiber tripod with Kirk BH-3 ballhead
Bogen 3021 tripod (Old style) with Bogen 3030 head (I'll
probably replace the 3030 with another Kirk ballhead.)
Bogen 681B monopod with 3229 head
Bogen 449 CarbonOne monopod with 3437 head
LowePro Mini Trekker backpack and several other assorted
bags.
Three Olympus digicams; C-5050Z, C-7000UZ, and C-2100UZ,
together with Olympus FL-40 flash.

High on my 'wish list' are a Nikon 300 or 80-400VR and
either a 17-35, 17-55, or 28-70 lens.

I will add a second body, probably a Nikon D200
if I were buying today, but that's a year or so away.

It might seem like an expensive hobby but it's nothing like what I've spent on my sailboat!!!

Good luck with your choices!

Regards,

Dick:)

Every day is a good day.
Re: We've seen GREAT shots, but what gear do you use? [Re: RichardR] #1560
01/10/06 12:24 AM
01/10/06 12:24 AM
Portland Oregon
RomanJohnston Offline
Pooh-Bah
RomanJohnston  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Portland Oregon
Duane,

Before I give my list of equipment, I will give you some advice I think would be important. I think that the ergonomics of the equipment and the supporting system should be paramount in your decision. I think that the 2 major players (Canon and Nikon) have systems that give you the most options....and with so many options...come more bang for the buck. Ergonomically, I preferred the Nikon....felt better in my hand....and I like the buttons/wheels approach to my most used controls than the menu approach.

The other manufacturers have nice systems....but fewer options.

I'd stick with the main 2 personally.

My Gear:
Nikon D2X
Nikon D2H
Nikon D70
Tokina 12-24 f/4
Nikon 17-55 f/2.8
Nikon 18-70 (Kit lens for D70)
Sigma 90MM f/2.8 Macro
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
Nikon 80-400 VR
Nikon SB-800
2- Nikon SB-600s (with Umbrellas and stands)
Kenko Pro 1.7x adaptor.
Gitzo 2200 Tripod
Manfrotto 488rc4 Ballhead.
LowePro DryZone 100 (for shooting around guaranteed water sources)
LowePro Rover AW II (Daily walk around bag)
LowePro Computreker AW (Regular bag for outdoor as computer slot allows for camelback hydration solution)
LowePro RoadRunner Mini (bag for weddings)
Epson P-2000 40GB card dump.
Assorted filters, cable releases, flash remote cables, batterys, etc.

Soon to be added.....Nikon 18-200 VR for my super light daily kit to carry everywhere.

Roman

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 255 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer