New Orleans, LA
D
domnrem Offline OP
Wanderer
domnrem  Offline OP
Wanderer
D

New Orleans, LA
Trying some more dramatic lighting with the equipment I have . .
Thanks,
Celeste

Attached Files
16000-IMG_2494esma.jpg (105 downloads)
Re: Trying dramatic [Re: domnrem] #15908
06/19/08 07:45 AM
06/19/08 07:45 AM
st. petersburg, florida, usa a...
V
Visceral Image Offline
Old hand
Visceral Image  Offline
Old hand
V

st. petersburg, florida, usa a...
Celeste

I like trying different lighting on pets that will sit still for us. I think directional lighting on a this breed of dog is very effective, the lighting enhances the angular face but I think I would prefer the lighting coming from the other direction with the darker portion away from the camera. Well done

Re: Trying dramatic [Re: Visceral Image] #15909
06/19/08 08:43 AM
06/19/08 08:43 AM
New Orleans, LA
D
domnrem Offline OP
Wanderer
domnrem  Offline OP
Wanderer
D

New Orleans, LA
Thanks for the reply!

Re: Trying dramatic [Re: domnrem] #15910
06/19/08 09:10 AM
06/19/08 09:10 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Celeste,
using a single light to get directional shadows can be very effective. It's good to try it from different directions and heights just to see which way the dog looks better.

BTW, be careful when you set up your dogs for portraits: those front feet should not be pointing outward like a duck. For show people, it would be unacceptable but even for most casual owners, the feet should be parallel with the body. Except for certain breeds like English Bulldogs.

Keep experimenting with directional lighting until you come up with a set-up you really like and it will give you an option when you shoot your pet portraits.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Trying dramatic [Re: Jim Garvie] #15911
06/19/08 02:09 PM
06/19/08 02:09 PM
New Orleans, LA
D
domnrem Offline OP
Wanderer
domnrem  Offline OP
Wanderer
D

New Orleans, LA
Thanks for the tips. Appreciate it. I'll keep experimenting. It's embarrassing posting work that is not good, but need to put that aside in order to learn. Thanks for taking the time.

Re: Trying dramatic [Re: domnrem] #15912
06/19/08 03:52 PM
06/19/08 03:52 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Celeste,
it's not that the work isn't good. It's that it could be better because you clearly want it to be.

There are two aspects of photographing pets:
1. the technical, photography aspects of exposure, composition, lighting, etc.

2. the issue of how different animals or different breeds are supposed to be shot to look their "best" i.e. like the image the owners have in their heads of their pet.

I deal with it in terms of show dogs but I also see it with pet owners so I try to understand what image they have in their head and then try to duplicate it at least once in my shoot. Because I have a lot of images of dogs, I can show them samples of their breed and they can say "yup, that's how I want Snookie to look". Without samples to show, you need to probe a bit but you can figure out what their vision is of their own pet.

Then you can apply your vision. After I've given people what they expect, I give them what I would like. Sometimes they like it better and sometimes not but at least I tried to expand their vision a bit.

Keep trying things and asking questions. When you're satisfied with your images, you won't have to ask as much.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Trying dramatic [Re: Jim Garvie] #15913
06/19/08 05:44 PM
06/19/08 05:44 PM
New Orleans, LA
D
domnrem Offline OP
Wanderer
domnrem  Offline OP
Wanderer
D

New Orleans, LA
I am indeed posting things I am not happy with in the hopes of doing better!! (doing this can be a bit disconcerting, that's all!!) I really appreciate the advice.

Do you have recommendations for general sites/books that may help learn how to show the best characteristics of a given dog? I guess going to different breed club sites, if not, would be the place to start.

Re: Trying dramatic [Re: domnrem] #15914
06/19/08 08:00 PM
06/19/08 08:00 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Celeste,
the best place for dogs is the AKC site, www.akc.org. Look up the breeds and you'll see a stacked shot that pretty much shows you how the dog should look to a judge.

The key is to translate that kind of image into a pet portrait with them sitting or laying down. The key is to understand that things like feet turned out or in, hocks pointing out or in, are not what people want to see in their own pet even if they are pigeon-towed and cow-hocked .

It's not unlike finding the most flattering pose for a person having their portrait taken. You don't emphasize an unattractive feature like a big nose or weak chin. Same with dogs and cats.

Another thing to learn is which dogs you want to give you "ears" and which are not supposed to give you up-standing ears. With Dobes, the ears are supposed to be straight up. With Rotties, the ears are supposed to be attentive across the top of the head but not stick out to the sides. Bassett Hounds never give ears. Whippets do. Again, seeing the AKC Breed images will help you understand which is which.

For mutts, you need to try to see the underlying primary breed influence and take it from there.

Your images are very nice and you are willing to try new things so you should do well. There's a lot to learn beyond the photography piece and there's a ton to learn there. We're all working to try to get better.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Trying dramatic [Re: Jim Garvie] #15915
06/20/08 06:11 AM
06/20/08 06:11 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
I found a portrait photography cheat-sheet that basically shows the lighting effects of one light at three different heights relative to the subject and a points in a circle around the subject.

It is done with a human, but I think it could easily apply to any subject, and even be re-made with a cooperative dog.

http://www.diyphotography.net/portrait-lighting-cheat-sheet

Re: Trying dramatic [Re: Jim Poor] #15916
06/20/08 07:29 AM
06/20/08 07:29 AM
TN
Julie Offline
Addict
Julie  Offline
Addict

TN
I think it looks pretty nice. Gives the impression of looking out into a window. I might lower the exposure just a hair, but, other than that, it is a nice effect

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 306 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer