06/26/08 08:58 AM
06/26/08 08:58 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Thanks for the comments, I’ll go back and work the shot a bit roman, thanks for the help.

As for the name of the mountain,

"By the way Tony, you probably know this but Chief Mountain was actually named Kings Peak and then Tower Mountain before it was named Chief Mountain."

That I think is one person’s perspective, mainly the perspective of the people who know what is printed on the internet, no offense, I always teach to my environmental science class at the collage that we have to be very skeptical of all that we read on the internet. In many cases the information is not wrong; it's just presented from one point of view and many times it is limited to the knowledge of the people publishing it.

To say that the mountain was call tower and king before is was chief says that one must overlook the history of the people who first were here.

Kings peek I think wound up in Utah, and Tower Mountain was the name given it by Lewis and Clark. Naming is always confusing and depending on who you ask you get different stories. The Mountain has always been Chief Mountain to the people of this area.

In my family, the Blackfeet side, the mountain has always been referred to as, "the mountain of the chief," it's talked about in the ceremonies and the told in the stories that it is "chief mountain."

I've never been told any other name. I'm not arguing with you, or doubting you, non Indians, and in this case, non Blackfeet have had this or that name for all kinds of things including mountains, but not here on the reservation and certainly not with the Blackfeet people.

Re: Chief Mountain - the north face GNP [Re: Tony Bynum] #16053
06/26/08 09:51 AM
06/26/08 09:51 AM
North Carolina, triangle area
wallyspop Offline
Old hand
wallyspop  Offline
Old hand

You know I hadn't really thought of this the way you stated it. I think you have an excellent point and I hope that you were not offended by my ignorance on the topic. I can absolutely see the point that you are making. Regardless of what some called this mountain at some point in time, the Blackfeet people have always, and alway will know this as the Mountain of the Chief! I absolutely get it and agree.

By the way, believe me, if anyone understands the issue of "don't believe everything published on the web" it's me. I preach it almost daily in my professional life.....

Re: Chief Mountain - the north face GNP [Re: wallyspop] #16054
06/26/08 12:05 PM
06/26/08 12:05 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
wally, I take ZERO offense to your post, I mean that sincerely. I'm just glad youre willing to speak up and talk about issues here on this board, thanks for your interest and I hope you stick around!

Tony

Re: Chief Mountain - the north face GNP [Re: Tony Bynum] #16055
06/26/08 03:49 PM
06/26/08 03:49 PM
wallyspop Offline
Old hand
wallyspop  Offline
Old hand

Thanks! By the way, I'm Bob. Wally is my Dachshund, my best little buddy and I'm his "pop", hence Wallyspop...

Re: Chief Mountain - the north face GNP [Re: wallyspop] #16056
06/29/08 08:10 AM
06/29/08 08:10 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Guys,

Really good thread. It is nice to see some excellent content in addition to a very good photo. Tony, I look forward to seeing your repost.

Cheers
James

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 362 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer