07/03/08 10:31 AM
07/03/08 10:31 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Hey Visceral, I've never seen dogs (particularly portraits) shot on plexi, I have seen models and fashion, and glamour shot on plexi and when I saw your shots I thought because of the keen subject, they would lend well to high key plexi. I believe the multi dog shot is doable on plexi, and I know the portraits are doable, it's just a matter of getting the right dog(s), the right lighting, and the time and energy to making it happen.

I don’t claim to know how it all would work, so it's a challenge to anyone who would try it. I'm pointing out what, in my mind would be interesting. In fact one might put hours of effort into making the shots only to have them turn out like junk – in time all of us do it a time or two (waist time with shots that never turn out). I can not tell you how many hours I have into getting one subject shot just they way I want it. To me, when you see those very unique shots, there often is a long story behind them starting with a vision, and ending with a huge commitment of time, talent and money.

More specifically, you point out some very challenging issues related to shooting slobbering dogs, and pets on plexi, or white for that matter, you also are identifying the difficulties of taking images to a different level no matter what your subject. I agree with you that unique shots take special care, attention, and often a huge commitment to the final product. In some cases it takes years of preparation before a single image worth keeping is ever captured. As mentioned before, most of us have shot some subjects many times over the course of a decade or more and put hundreds our hours into the process and still we don't have exactly what we are after. I think that helps keep us pushing and striving to capture the perfect shot.

I've used common everyday run of the mill home depot plexi, here's a product that I've never used, but it looks interesting,

http://www.backdropoutlet.com/catalog/pr...CFQ-kiQodsUGV0g

How to handle all the details and the potential problems like paw prints, is your challenge should you ever choose to accept it. In fact, now that you mention it, paw prints might actually work well in a horizontal image. I'd thin that a fan would keep the hair at bay, edge lines might be okay, they might not, you may need to get a bigger sheet of material, there are ways to do thing. In fact, you may even have to find a dog that is willing to walk on the plaxi, and that could take time.

What happens in my mind when I see a shot just happens, I did not stop to consider all of the possible issues related to dirt, slobber, and paw prints on plexi, but on the other hand none of it would stop me if I felt inclined, I'd figure out a way to do it, or at the very least wear myself out trying.

I expressed my gut reaction, maybe your studio is not set up for anything like it, and maybe it's too much effort and too costly, all which could be true with many other subjects. So, I don’t have all the answers, I saw a shot in my mind when I saw your pictures, and decided to post, maybe there is no way to do it, maybe there are too may obsticals, but I doubt it.

As for brighter backgrounds, I'm not a fan of white material scrunched up on the floor. . .. that's it, personal preference.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Tony Bynum

Re: Bassets [Re: Tony Bynum] #16161
07/03/08 11:50 AM
07/03/08 11:50 AM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
Ha . . . I posted right behind you in the other thread, so I'll put this here so it will make sense. . .

As for white backgrounds, I'm working on something portable based off of the videos and tutorials offered by Zack Arias. He has a series of nine posts so far and I expect more.

http://www.zarias.com/?cat=13

The tile board seems ideal for studio work. I think it would be easy to clean & shine up, and if it gets totally trashed, it is cheap enough.

If I can find something with similar properties as far as reflection that is portable I'd be thrilled. So far, the closest suggestion is Vinyl, but it is hard to find plain white with no patterns or textures.

Re: Bassets [Re: Jim Poor] #16162
07/03/08 03:08 PM
07/03/08 03:08 PM
st. petersburg, florida, usa a...
V
Visceral Image Offline OP
Old hand
Visceral Image  Offline OP
Old hand
V

st. petersburg, florida, usa a...
Thanks so much Tony, I understand better you thought process. Now that I have a personal basset, I can certainly try some creative shots such as reflective plexi. I agree, it would be an experiment but well worth the effort. I very appreciate you vision.

I am not sure it would work for a paying customer until I worked out the "bugs" but I agree the look and effect would be stunning. I will give it a try.

I am a fan of white backgrounds and black backgrounds but I agree white material scrunched up on the floor is not the best foundation. This was my first effort with white fabric on the floor and I agree, I do not like it the way it turned out. More work to do in this area.

A couple days ago I read online about using 4x8 white boards for the base http://www.zarias.com/?p=77
Seems like a better approach.

Re: Bassets [Re: Visceral Image] #16163
07/03/08 08:49 PM
07/03/08 08:49 PM
Virginia, USA
Jim Poor Offline
Addict
Jim Poor  Offline
Addict

Virginia, USA
One thing I'm going to experiment with to keep the backdrop from bunching up is to use some scissor clamps to attach it to a stiffer material underneath the area that I will be placing the subject. I got some particle board to use for my last outing, but I ended up on a hard, non-slip surface that didn't really let the material slide much.

Oh, and one place where plexi would have an advantage over the tile boards would be in the case of a black (or any other color backdrop) as the color would show through the glass while still giving a nice reflection.

Last edited by Jim Poor; 07/03/08 08:50 PM.
Re: Bassets [Re: Jim Poor] #16164
07/04/08 10:27 AM
07/04/08 10:27 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey John,

Just wanted to say what a very cute shot this is. Very nicely done - great opportunity and nicely handled. The idea about trying out plexi is actually a very good one. The hair/drool is not that big a deal, IMO. The worst amounts can be handled with a bit of clone stamp - though I don't think you will really see that much...though with a basset, you might be surprised. They sure can drool.

James

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 549 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer