07/08/08 08:21 PM
07/08/08 08:21 PM
North Carolina, triangle area
wallyspop Offline
Old hand
wallyspop  Offline
Old hand

You know somehow I knew you would take my comments in a light hearted fashion. Some people you have to worry how you word things as they might snap back when your intentions are pretty benign. There are a bunch of breeders out there, and folks that show their dogs, that view the dogs as objects. Clearly not the case here, and I knew that and I'm glad you recognized I was just ribbing you. You're a quality gent Mr Garvie.

Side note to Lisa. I'm very sorry about your loss. I know just how tough that is. I'm sure the new pup will bring many years of renewed companionship.

By the way, Mr Green obviously already knows how to use those eyes!

Re: Puppies At 6.5 Weeks [Re: wallyspop] #16371
07/09/08 09:07 AM
07/09/08 09:07 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Bob,
ironically, the emotional bond IS important which is why we try to help folks make the right pick. We live with these guys for 8 weeks of intensive growth and learning. Us about them; they about the world. Nobody knows them better than we do.

In the old days, buyers would be allowed to actually pick their puppies and often that would result in a mismatch between what the family could handle and what the puppy needed. That may work out with Golden Retrievers but it can have some really negative consequences with Rotties.

So, we get to know the people as well as possible and match up the pups with the right homes. Yes, we let the buyers meet the puppies as often as possible and get to know them but hopefully that means they'll love them all as much as we do. The puppies with the most attitude and energy will go to homes that know how to channel it. The less experienced homes will get the more laid-back puppies. In my experience, you can always build up drives but it's hard to hold them back. Annie was -- according to her co-owner -- too laid back as a puppy. So we built up her drives. We must have over-done it 'cuz she sure does have them now!!! .

The really nice thing about this litter is that there is not a lot of difference between the more dominant ones and the less dominant ones. They are far more alike than different. But we are seeing a couple that are moving up on the attitude scale -- i.e. Ms Pink and Mr Green. For Obedience and Agility competition, that's the kind of attitude you want.

Wish you lived closer so you could visit these guys.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Puppies At 6.5 Weeks [Re: Jim Garvie] #16372
07/09/08 08:09 PM
07/09/08 08:09 PM
wallyspop Offline
Old hand
wallyspop  Offline
Old hand

Jim, visiting the pups would be a terrible idea. I would want one, or more, my wife would threaten me with all sort of evil deeds if we didn't take at least one home. You would not let us have one because we know nothing about Rotties. Then my wife would be really angry because I didn't do the research to be prepared for the scrutiny we would undergo. Then with my wife on the verge of divorce I could no longer be your friend. Bad idea..... lol

Seriously, wish we did live closer. Plan another batch to be around in May of next year and we have a deal!

Re: Puppies At 6.5 Weeks [Re: wallyspop] #16373
07/09/08 09:28 PM
07/09/08 09:28 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Bob,
I didn't realize the implications of a visit and thank you for explaining it so eloquently .

Unfortunately, this is Cassidy's last litter and we don't have another breedable girl in our household so having a litter next May is not real likely. Well, we do co-own Sundance's sister, Juneau, who is in the process of finishing her Championship and all the kids get their OFA testing done in January so it is possible but highly unlikely.

Besides, I've decided to keep this entire litter because I can't stand letting them go. That will put us at 15 dogs in the house and that is clearly too many. By any measure!!!

Breeding is a tremendous amount of fun. It is rewarding beyond any description. It is also a tremendous amount of work both in terms of the puppies and in terms of finding the right homes for them. I don't begrudge the amount of work. I love these guys. But the culling of responsible homes is not always a pleasure.

I wish I were 20 years younger. It would be easier on my body and my mind. But when I go into the whelping box at 5:30 in the morning and all the puppies run to me to be held as I kneel there . . . it's unbelievable. That moment of pure love is just something most of us never feel or share. Linda and I are lucky. And stupid . We do it because we love the dogs. Plain and simple. Yes, we're crazy but I trust we're not bad people. We create wonderful puppies that turn into wonderful dogs. I only wish we had more time to do it.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 383 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer